Hello, everyone.

phoebex2

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Phoebe (pronounced "feeby") and I'm new here... this is my first time actually using x10 hosting or this forum, so beware the newby, I guess. I'm not a complete novice at having a website, I've just never built one that was worth looking at, but I hope to change that soon.

It's nice to meet everyone here, even the ones who don't go in for greetings, and I hope that me being here will maybe give me the incentive I need to get this website idea off the ground at last.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi, Phoebe, and welcome. Unfortunately, this isn't quite the vibrant community it used to be — as you may have suspected, given that it has taken this long for anybody to reply to you.

It used to be a requirement that everybody log into the forum at least once a month to keep their accounts active, and since they were here anyway, people would read and post things other than service requests. Sometimes it would get silly, and silly is a good thing. We don't see nearly as much activity since the login rule changed. There are still a few of us who spend quite a bit of time here, though, and we'll be more than happy to answer questions or discuss approaches to building and maintaining a site (in the "programming" and "design" forums) or just chew the fat (in the "off topic" forum).

phoebex2

Reaction score
Most people never bother posting on forums unless they have something to gain by it, really. I'd say about 90% of the people on the internet are just looking for ways to kill time, and forums tend to ask people to post in the written equivalents of spoken languages and most people these days still can't even spell properly in chatspeak. :)

I like to think I'm a little different. I noticed the forum was slow and it didn't stop me from saying hi, and even in the correct forum section, and I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that someone who can spell would eventually say hi back.

Thanks for the hello, and hello yourself! And if I can do anything (within the standards of the TOS, anyway) to make someone else's visit more enjoyable or worthwhile, I will. I'm happy to have some space for my dinky little website, maybe it can actually grow into something worth a darn, who knows?

Anyway, thanks so much for the welcome, and I hope you have a great day, essellar!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Goodness. Articulate, somewhat snarky, and yet with a sort of communal outlook... are you sure you belong here? Have a good day yourself, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

phoebex2

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I will. And hey, there's even lots of old posts to keep me occupied.

I especially like the ones where people ask for everything for free and then complain loudly when nobody rushes up to hand it all to them on a silver platter within nanoseconds... people are funny.

And sooner or later someone other than you or me might even decide to say hello in here, there's potential, you know? Funny that I'm even here, I should be asleep for the day by now, but my homepage placeholder file thingy I made is showing up now instead of the default CGI page, and it made me stay up to work on my site a little.

I've got XAMPP 1.8.1 running on my box at home, a lightning-fast trimmed-down Gimp, and itchy fingers. I'll just have to see what I can do. Lots of work left before I get anything worth putting up put up.

I'm working on a webcomic that's only slightly fictionalized for purposes of humor and semi-believability, there's my main character as my avatar, and I've still got lots of props and scenery to scan and edit before I can really put together some panels, but I'm estimating less than a week before I kick it all off for real.

Wish me luck, and I'll definitely be around.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Consider the luck fully wished. I look forward to reading it.

phoebex2

Reaction score
Yay, my site works. I signed up two days ago and I have a working site already.

http://phoebe.x10.mx/

Like I said, it's loosely based on my real life, but if you can't laugh at yourself how do you survive?
Of course, all names have been changed to protect me from my family's wrath... because that's just how I roll.

Well, I can let my hello thread sink into oblivion now, and get on with the business of being a community regular. Yay.

And yeah, my ability to customize code is buttly, but I'm working on it. I'll eventually have it all nice and close to perfect, provided I live to be a hundred.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey, if you can't dread the wrath of your own family, whose wrath can you dread, right? So far so good. Bookmarked.

gianx10h

Reaction score
H
Hi, my name's Phoebe (pronounced "feeby") and I'm new here... this is my first time actually using x10 hosting or this forum, so beware the newby, I guess. I'm not a complete novice at having a website, I've just never built one that was worth looking at, but I hope to change that soon.

It's nice to meet everyone here, even the ones who don't go in for greetings, and I hope that me being here will maybe give me the incentive I need to get this website idea off the ground at last.
Hello how are u