Hybrid's HTML Lessons

Hybrid

Reaction score
Welcome to my HTML Lesson. This lesson and the additional lessons in this post are copyright to me. Thanks, and if you have any questions regarding HTML or Coding, feel free to private message me. I would also love if you could spare a few friendly points, as it took a lot of effort to write this.

Lesson One - Startup Questions

Q
- So what is HTML and who invented it?
A - Well, in basic terms, HTML, also known as Hyper Text Markup Language is a series of codes that shows your browser what to display on your screen. Everything on the internet is in some form of code, wether it's javascript or HTML. Without the hard work of
Tim Berners-Lee, we most likely wouldn't have HTML today. He invented it in 1989. He also invented the World Wide Web.

Q - How do we use HTML?
A - When you use HTML, you allways start with the < and > signs. Also known as the greater than and less than signs, these signal the computer and browser that an HTML tag is coming.

Q - Why do we use HTML?
A - HTML allows us to make things and/or show things in a way that they can look professional or personal. It's one of those things you have to learn to understand.

Lesson One - Simple Codes

Okay, we are now done with the questions, let's get on with some of the simplest codes. These have to do with text. In this section, you will learn how to make font different colors, faces and sizes. You will also learn how to make text bold, italic and underlined. Finally, you will learn about the Paragraph and Page Break tags.

Code Name
- Bold Tag
Code Description - This will make your text stand out. It looks like it is outlined.
Code Example - Here is an example of this code: Text Here!
The Code - Here is the code: <b>Text Here!</b>

Code Name - Italic Tag
Code Description - This will make your text slant. It might look a little like cursive.
The Code - Here is the code: <i>Text Here!</i>

Code Name - Underlined Tag
Code Description - This will make your text have a line under it.
The Code - Here is the code: <u>Text Here!</u>

Code Name - Font Color
Code Description - This will make your text a different color.
The Code - Here is the code: <font color="purple">Text Here!</font>

Code Name - Font Size
Code Description - This will make your text a bigger size.
The Code - Here is the code: <font size="3">Text Here!</font>

Code Name - Font Face
Code Description - This will make your text a different face.
The Code - Here is the code: <font face="Impact">Text Here!</font>

Before we continue, I would like to point out that you can join tags such as the Font Size, Face and Color to create an awesome Masterpiece. You can also wrap any Bold, Italic or Underlined tags around it too. Now, let's get on the last two tags of this lesson.

Code Name - Paragraph Tag
Code Description - This will make your text have an indent
Code Example - Example not available, sorry.
The Code - Here is the code: <p>Text Here!</p>

Code Name - Page Break Tag
Code Description - This will make your text go down one line.
Code Example - Example not available, sorry.
The Code - Here is the code: <br>Text Here!</br>

Well, I home you have ejoyed Lesson One! Lesson two will be posted soon, in this topic. Thanks!

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Nice basic HTML tutorial. :)

In future tutorials "in the series" going to cover CSS at all? They both go "hand in hand", so once you cover HTML, you should have a few for CSS. That's just a suggestion though.

N

Nathan

Bryon said:
Nice basic HTML tutorial. :)

In future tutorials "in the series" going to cover CSS at all? They both go "hand in hand", so once you cover HTML, you should have a few for CSS. That's just a suggestion though.

XML too. XML/XHTML and DHTML goes in with HTML too. Do not teach tables either. Tables are bad. :nono: Teach DIV layers.

Hybrid

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing CSS yes.

Not DHTML just yet though.

I'm :roflwerd: so I'm going to teach tables ayway...

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Teaching people to use tables is NOT a good idea.

<b>, <i>, and <u> are deprecated. And you made a mistake. You put "The Code - Here is the code: <br>Text Here!</br>" but you don't need that </br>. In XHTML tags must be closed though, but for that you just use <br /> in place of <br>.

Last edited:
B

Brandon

<font color="purple"> is a bad example, you should use the hex code.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
guys simple, and font="color" is simple for now, tables are simple for now, if they are reading this tutorial then they are really new to HTML and should learn basics FIRST. just because you dont use something in a language doesnt mean you shouldnt still learn how.

nice simple tutorial,you should make some more going more in-depth though.

Last edited:

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for this tutorial. How ever, being this a TUTORIAL. I'm gonna move it to the Tutorials Forum

yahia

Reaction score
this is so misleading..
Though for beginners, i think it is a good first step.

You could have said taht an html document can be done on windows' simple Notepad, and starting with
<html><head><body> etc..

and the <font> is very bad. bad example. CSS is much better

And finally, for a nice tutorial covering basinc stuff such as doctype and html structure, and simple Css such as font-families won't be bad, but it isn't really a thread thing: a webpage ok.

see ya

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
I think that is a great tutorial for begginers in HTML. They aren't going to know that tables are bad for web design or they have to use Hex codes!!

They are going to learn all this as they progress into more powerful code, and will soon learn what CSS and DHTML etc are, and it will improve their skills.

My compliments to Hybrid, who wrote an excellent tutorial on HTML for beginners!

Keep up the good work my friend.

Regards,
Zenax

P.S I used to code my sites in tables, but that was when I was a begginner, now I code using Divs and CSS!!

yahia

Reaction score
That's exactly what every webdesigner should do, Zenax: Div's and Css ;D

Btw, I think I'm gonna write a tutorial of my own..

tcrow777

Reaction score
XML too. XML/XHTML and DHTML goes in with HTML too. Do not teach tables either. Tables are bad. :nono: Teach DIV layers.
Hey! I prefer tables! What is the advantage of tables over divs?

-Timothy

Mooseman

Reaction score
All of these examples are not considered good programming.
They are all being defined in CSS on serious webpages today

<br> is not a page break tag, its a line break tag

If ppl are very new to HTML, teach them CSS instead instead of taking webprogramming back to the stone age, its a much more powerful designing tool to use, and much easier to do changes.

Hey! I prefer tables! What is the advantage of tables over divs?

None whatsoever, unless you want to display tabular data

Last edited:

apoorav

Reaction score
Good Tutorial, But can be presented in a better way, Dont worry i will launch some tutorials on my site.
GOOD WORK KEEP IT UP ↑