It's been pretty good so far...

lonelyga

Reaction score
Two things I don't like about it, though:
- you get so few addon domains/subdomains
- you only get two MySQL databases

However, you have a lot of people using your hosting service, and so I can see why you wouldn't want to just hand out tons of free databases. Domains, however, are too limited in my opinion. I've used another host (000webhost) and they have a lot more databases allowed as far as I remember.

Anyway, your service is really good from what I've seen. I don't get why there are so many terrible reviews of it on other sites... you've got a nice community, a good control panel + file manager, and you have server-side languages. But a suggestion I'd like to make is for more server side languages. I'm not sure if they're more 'resource intensive' or what, but Ruby and Python'd be cool to have. I'm learning both at the moment. Also, your forum rules for some of the places seem a bit... harsh. Guess it's your choice in the end though.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Other languages are resource-intensive, not in the ordinary CPU/RAM/disk space/bandwidth sense, but in the human resources sense. Everything is always the host's fault (even, unfortunately, when proven otherwise), and supporting alternate languages means having support people who are familiar enough with the language and the surrounding config to allow people who are willing to accept bandaging to fix their own self-inflicted foot wounds. It's also quite normal for people to expect that the wide-open environments on their local dev machines will be reflected on the server, where the possibility of tromping all over everybody else's work is all too real. That is particularly true on Free Hosting, where there is essentially no incentive beyond basic decency (something altogether too lacking these days) to play nice with the other kids in the sandbox.

The free hosting space is not intended for anything much more intensive than hobbyist/personal use. There are a variety of low-cost options available for anything that needs to be in any way mission-critical, or that would require more domains, or that need language environments not part of the usual XAMP stack (many of which cannot run without having a permanently "up" core process due to delegation, callbacks and promises, which means that you need at least a virtual machine with a minimum of full-time space for your account).

Much of the negativity comes from two sources: unreasonable expectations of what a free service ought to provide (like people can get "ripped off" somehow when they're not out of pocket at all); and users who've broken the Terms of Service and had their accounts terminated because of it.

Concerning the first, the servers are provisoned based on the usage expected for Free Hosting, so there are occasional times when the load is greater than expected -- pages may be slow to load, requests may time out, and the outbound mail queue may be flooded without any one single user causing all of the problems. Sometimes abusive accounts (or poorly-coded ones) can consume a lot of resources deliberately or accidentally. Occasionally user accounts will cause entire servers to be blocked by ISPs and mail providers, and it takes a great deal of work to iron out those problems when they do arise. And while I can understand people getting frustrated when bad things happen to their sites that are not their fault, it's the nature of the beast. Free services are always risky because there is rarely a down side to abusing them, and the abusers take everyone else with them. And some folks have just plain failed to notice the big sign saying that the space is being provided for websites only, thinking (apparently) that they've found a free cloud storage solution. (I'll admit that "unmetered space" looks tempting compared to the paltry few gigs that folks like Dropbox provide on the free tier.)

As for the second, well, there are people who simply don't understand that IP laws are laws and not merely suggestions and guidelines, and that even if they aren't Americans, x10Hosting is American, is required to meet American law, and may be liable in part for what its users are up to. Since there is nothing substantial tying a user to an account (remember, it's a free service so there cannot, by definition, be a contract), the host is a large and obvious target for damages, etc. The usual defence is either "personal use" (doesn't matter) or "fair use" (indicating a complete inability to read and understand the laws concerning fair use or fair dealing; tagging entire movies, albums and software cracks "for educational purposes" doesn't begin to meet the provisions).

All in all, x10Hosting is pretty up-front about what they're providing and what they're not providing as a free service. Whether or not that meets people's expectations of what a free service should be is an entirely different question. I happen to think that you get an awful lot for a twenty-second-a-month login cost; others may feel hard done by.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Regarding databases: you can install multiple applications to a single database by using something called "table prefixes" -- if you install your software manually instead of via the Softaculous auto installer, there is usually an option to specify a table prefix, which allows multiple apps to coexist on the same database. With that, there are very few reasons to actually need multiple databases for the main purpose of Free Hosting (which is hosting a personal or small-scale website).

Regarding domains: it is incredibly unlikely these limits will change, as they are there in part to offer an incentive to upgrade to paid hosting and in part to ensure that a free hosting account isn't using more than their fair share of resources by limiting how many different websites they can run at once. If you're running five websites and one or two of them starts getting popular, you'll find your account hitting resource limits and all five of them being impacted because of it.

lonelyga

Reaction score
Regarding databases: you can install multiple applications to a single database by using something called "table prefixes" -- if you install your software manually instead of via the Softaculous auto installer, there is usually an option to specify a table prefix, which allows multiple apps to coexist on the same database. With that, there are very few reasons to actually need multiple databases for the main purpose of Free Hosting (which is hosting a personal or small-scale website).

Regarding domains: it is incredibly unlikely these limits will change, as they are there in part to offer an incentive to upgrade to paid hosting and in part to ensure that a free hosting account isn't using more than their fair share of resources by limiting how many different websites they can run at once. If you're running five websites and one or two of them starts getting popular, you'll find your account hitting resource limits and all five of them being impacted because of it.

Table prefixing is something I've seen before but never really used. I already install all my pre-coded software manually. You're right on the domain thing - never really thought of that... It could get troublesome for the servers with enough people hosting tons of websites on one account. It's a nice service, as I said before.

@essellar "Everything is always the host's fault (even, unfortunately, when proven otherwise), and supporting alternate languages means having support people who are familiar enough with the language and the surrounding config to allow people who are willing to accept bandaging to fix their own self-inflicted foot wounds." holds a lot of truth. I've seen the same type of thing happen in real life. There are other hosts that support those, though, but even so, I don't think I'll be moving soon. I don't know either of the languages I mentioned very well, and for now I'd prefer to stick with PHP and MySQL for user-to-user and user-to-server things because PHP is the only serverside language that I really know. I also agree with your third paragraph; unless the hosting service is taking your own masterpiece and branding it as their own then it's not reasonable to say that you got ripped off. I expect too much from things or people some of the time; it happens to everybody but it's still annoying when someone is wanting you to (example, hasn't happened to me (actually, that's a lie - it's happening to me right now)) code an entire piece of software for them when they asked for help. Or something of the sort.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think we've all done a little bit of "help vampire consulting" along the way. I've encountered my own help forum code sketches in production as an actual consultant, complete with commented-out paragraphs about how important it is to check the return type at this point (the checks are never added, of course, but the plain text paragraph between code blocks is turned into a comment), logging things to or grabbing things from server.example.com, and so forth. If it weren't for default values inserted when bad status codes come up, empty catches, turning off strict declarations and On Error Resume Next (depending on the language) - you know, the professional way to fix things - it never would have seemed to work in the first place. And this is in enterprise applications, not hobby websites, so somebody is being paid good money (by whatever the local standards of "good money" happen to be) to do things they don't understand at all. The mind boggles, it does.

lonelyga

Reaction score
I think we've all done a little bit of "help vampire consulting" along the way. I've encountered my own help forum code sketches in production as an actual consultant, complete with commented-out paragraphs about how important it is to check the return type at this point (the checks are never added, of course, but the plain text paragraph between code blocks is turned into a comment), logging things to or grabbing things from server.example.com, and so forth. If it weren't for default values inserted when bad status codes come up, empty catches, turning off strict declarations and On Error Resume Next (depending on the language) - you know, the professional way to fix things - it never would have seemed to work in the first place. And this is in enterprise applications, not hobby websites, so somebody is being paid good money (by whatever the local standards of "good money" happen to be) to do things they don't understand at all. The mind boggles, it does.

Sorry if I seem dumb here, but what does the phrase 'help vampire consulting' mean? I didn't get your post very well except for the part about return types. I'm pretty much a novice programmer so I don't know about a lot of these things. Right now I'm not sure if the things you said mean what I think they mean or if they mean something completely different...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A "help vampire" is someone who starts out with something that sounds like a simple question about, say, the maximum value of an integer type, but by the time they're finished sucking your blood you've written a complete Enterprise Resource Planning application for them in the help thread that would put SAP to shame. Or a ground-up replacement for WordPress. Or something like that.