The Golden rules of Hosting !

vineeth

Reaction score
Hello,

I am now happy now! My site is not working for more than a week and I am always asked to "be patient" whenever I am asked to restore it !!!

So, this drives users away, no? There are hundreds of free hosting firms like X10 but why a particular firm is having users is because of its prompt response, service and uptime. And yes, the "forum attachment" is also a factor.

But, it is very difficult for a serious website maker to see his site offline for a week.

So, what're your answers? Should we have to wait for you? If yes, for how many hours again (Sorry, I am afraid to use the word "days" as I can't see my web offline again for days)?

Please do something....

Last edited:

samtong

Reaction score
Yes there may be hundreds but have you tried their services? Do you get so much space and so much bandwidth for so little ad space? Do you get friendly and helpful account managers. Even one who can help out in Spanish? Have just been with this host and they were cool until the number of people abusing this service got out of hand and they needed to take some drastic action.

Oopss... vineeth, you have been on this longer than me. have you not enjoyed smooth hosting until just a few "days ago"? Have you complemented Corey and his team for their hard work? They are doing their level best. We are all waiting too. They are doing everything they can.

Even with paid host we get some down time. So stay cool!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
i have been here just as long as you veenith (even if i was not "here" for some of it) and every "company" has its problems at one point or another, all you can do is ask for what you can do to help, making posts like this have no point in them whatsoever, does this help us restore accounts or reset passwords? no. Does this help us fix server problems and such? no. We are very busy and we are working as much as we can... again this is a free service that corey pays for out of his pocket. We are free staff we work for no pay (new staff members dont get staff benefits for a month) so we are all in the same boat as you and it doesnt get anywere to complain about what is happening 24/7. If you dont want to be hosted here no one is making you, there are as you said "pleny of others" but i know that you will not be able to find this much space/bandwith (as samtong said) anywere else. I was looking for free hosting for about a year before i came to x10, nothing compares to it at all, i cant even imagine another free host giving you 2.5gb of space and 45gb bandwith free, its insane.

Point is, we are working as fast as we can and nothing is perfect.

vineeth

Reaction score
Oops... you just misunderstood me!

Hope you might be heard about a Texas based free hosting company, Initial Host. I was working with the hosting team as their Promotional Manager with power to create and modify hosting accounts (This firm is now closed down due to lack of funds). At IH, we also used to undergo though times like this...

I have joined them because their service was great. But they had a big problem related to customer support that they will never intimate their users about any downtimes. So, we used to lost around 10% users each time the downtime occurs. I have made a simple and cheap soution of sending email messages from the admin's email address to all users about the downtime, technical details, expected time of repairs etc. I have also kept them updated, if any delay is there. This simple tactics helped us to reduce the loss of customers to 0.5-1% !

See, everyone will be happy, when you are receiving a personal (atleast looks personal) message from the admin statting that the servers are down and will be repaired soon.. Around 80% of free hosting users are making websites are their hobby or for personal use. They will no be worried about the "uptimes"; but for a responsible user, it is annoying that his site went offline without a notice for many days !!!

I am very much aware of the technical issues related to the server management but you must ask any of your staff to keep in touch with the users all the time... so that you wil never miss them.

I can help you for this, always, if you want me to.

Hope you got my points.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
oh i get what you mean :)

yes it does make sense, we can look in to doing this

vineeth

Reaction score
:) So you got my points... Just have a look at the thread where users are posting about failed account. It is flooding!