microsoft giving out free domain!??!?!

halohalo

Reaction score
I've done it and it works fine. I have two domain names out on two different credit cards... the first is for my cheapass club that won't spring the money for a website or an custom email account. The second is a personal website and email account that I like to use for all my online activities.

The only annoyance is that you can't do much with your free domain name except create email accounts and using their simple "interface" for creating websites. You don't have access to their DNS settings so that you can point your free domain name to another hosting service or email service, for example. Might as well pay the $6.95 USD per domain name per year instead and have full control over what you do with the domain name.

mattspec

Reaction score
buyer beware, i worked for microsoft and got 100s of calls a day about people wanting to cancel office live basics, little to people know that this is a SUBSCRIPTION that posts a charge of 19.95 to your credit card if you do not cancel

mr kennedy

Reaction score
buyer beware, i worked for microsoft and got 100s of calls a day about people wanting to cancel office live basics, little to people know that this is a SUBSCRIPTION that posts a charge of 19.95 to your credit card if you do not cancel

it's nice to know that someone from M$ cares about consumers :D

halohalo

Reaction score

That's if you select one of their "premium" hosting packages. They still have a free one available with less features but no charge... I've had my domain for over a year now and have not been charged anything. But yah, I'm sure that there are still hundreds of people who selected the premium package unaware that the "free" part was just a free trial period. I checked out the office live site recently and noticed that their advertising is a lot more clear than it was before... probably because of all the complaints.

My experience with M$ customer service hasn't been bad. They are courteous and wiling to help. Their online billing account records are accurate and easy to access for self service.

Yesterday I contested a billing for "enhanced hotmail" service which two years ago gave me 2 GB of email storage. These days it isn't necessary (because everyone who subscribes to hotmail gets 5GB storage off the bat). Something went wierd with their billing and I got charged the subscription two years after I had cancelled it. I had no problems cancelling my charge and getting a refund for it as well.

chewett

Reaction score
M$ experiences are totally different with a different situation

you could have a good guy on the phone or have a bad 1

mattspec

Reaction score
yea pretty much, im EX-M$ haha so i really do like to warn people about what theyre getting into, office live basics was the accounts that people were calling in about for a charge, so im not sure if anything has changed in the 2 mths that ive been gone from there, i just saw that name and the horror came back haha. anyways like i said just be ware of all 100000000000000 agreements that they make you sign and if you see a charge, --> dispute within 5 days < -- that is key - and there should be no problem

wwfn

Reaction score
it does sound a little to good to be true. But like everyone else said its Microsoft. After all they are the root of all evil. well close any enought for me.

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
If I ever get around to signing up and stuff, I'd prob. use a visa gift-card with $0 left. xD

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
If I ever get around to signing up and stuff, I'd prob. use a visa gift-card with $0 left. xD

U have to have at least $1.00 ... ( it says that on the sign up ) that they use to verify its you and its a valid Credit Card.

Swiblet

Reaction score
You could use a debit card from your bank. Bank Of America lets you use your debit cards as credit cards.

~~Ben

eminemix

Reaction score
When you sign up for a Microsoft Office Live account, Microsoft performs a £1 authorization check on your credit card to verify that the card information you are using is valid and up to date. A temporary £1 charge may appear on your online credit card statement for a short period, but will not appear on your final billing statement for that period.

From here

helladamnleet

Reaction score
Hmm, I may look in to this for the process of registering leetnet.... It's like NirvanaNet for those who liked the DBBSs back in the 80's ;)