What is the best CMS?

pasacom

Reaction score
Joomla is not too flexible. The modules and plugins are not easy to edit and require pretty extreme knowledge of PHP and Javascript. It looks nice but from my previous experience with it, it's pretty hard to customize without screwing up the layout or functionality of the system.

I recommend e107 because it has easy customizable plugins and the a custom made layout from scratch is really easy. Everything is very flexible with variables. There's a very easy to use and extensive backend administration which is quite imperative for sites which have heavy member traffic. The user system is very easy to use and also is easy to customize.

kkenny

Reaction score
Joomla is not too flexible. The modules and plugins are not easy to edit and require pretty extreme knowledge of PHP and Javascript. It looks nice but from my previous experience with it, it's pretty hard to customize without screwing up the layout or functionality of the system.

I recommend e107 because it has easy customizable plugins and the a custom made layout from scratch is really easy. Everything is very flexible with variables. There's a very easy to use and extensive backend administration which is quite imperative for sites which have heavy member traffic. The user system is very easy to use and also is easy to customize.

I highly disagree. As a advanced Joomla 1.0 user, an intermediate Joomla 1.5 user, I find Joomla very good when you have staff that don't know how to code. Joomla is so much user friendly, and has a gentle learning curve. I don't know how you would find it bad.

E107, is not a bad choice either, I find it a pretty neat and nifty cms, but I would only use it if I had staff that had the time to adjust with E107's hard learning curve, and if my staff knew how to do things without messing things up.

Summary -
Joomla > E107 in learning curve and user friendliness
Joomla > E107 in overall (in my opinion)
E107 > Joomla in skinning (E107 has easy skinning customization)

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I highly disagree. As a advanced Joomla 1.0 user, an intermediate Joomla 1.5 user, I find Joomla very good when you have staff that don't know how to code. Joomla is so much user friendly, and has a gentle learning curve. I don't know how you would find it bad.

E107, is not a bad choice either, I find it a pretty neat and nifty cms, but I would only use it if I had staff that had the time to adjust with E107's hard learning curve, and if my staff knew how to do things without messing things up.

Summary -
Joomla > E107 in learning curve and user friendliness
Joomla > E107 in overall (in my opinion)
E107 > Joomla in skinning (E107 has easy skinning customization)
It's really based on what you are looking for. As a decent coder, Joomla and other simple CMS's that are 'easy' to learn and are ready 'out-of-the-box' don't do what I need them to do and aren't flexible enough to accomplish what I want. I need something more advanced, with access to templates and more advanced front-end options so that I don't have to edit PHP just to do something simple that wasn't included.

kkenny

Reaction score
It's really based on what you are looking for. As a decent coder, Joomla and other simple CMS's that are 'easy' to learn and are ready 'out-of-the-box' don't do what I need them to do and aren't flexible enough to accomplish what I want. I need something more advanced, with access to templates and more advanced front-end options so that I don't have to edit PHP just to do something simple that wasn't included.

That's because you need to learn how to adjust to their code. I really don't think e107 is more advanced in front end options as the way it does usergroups is somewhat... confusing. (such as the forums usergroups compared to mainsite usergroups) I have respect for the CMS being something unique. I'd use it on some solutions, but when looking for something that requires many extentions, I'd go with Joomla.

coolgbb

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to this thing but I have been using xoops aswell as drupal both of which I chose because it was easy to find themes and modules for whatever I needed. I just need help with connecting to databases and css.

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
Definitely Joomla, most powerful, most customizable. What more could you need in a CMS? :)