Installing ShoutCast Server

Scott

Reaction score
Intro:

This tutorial will help you install a ShoutCast Server on your VPS. ShoutCast Servers are used to broadcast music across the internet, They are often used for Internet Radio Stations.

Requirements:

• SSH Access

• Cent OS 5 (This may work on other distributions, but has not been tested by me.)

• Root Access

Step 1:

Login SSH via your favorite client. You need to create an additional account, Running ShoutCast as root can pose a security risk. Inorder to create a new account you need to use the following commands:

Code:
adduser shoutcast
passwd shoutcast
It should ask for a password, enter any password you choose.

Please note: You do not have to use shoutcast as the account name. If you do change it, you must change it in both commands.

Step 2:

After you have that account setup, You need to su into it. Use the following command to gain access to that account:

Code:
su shoutcast
Please note: Remember if you did not use shoutcast as the account name you must change it here, too.

Step 3:

You need to download the server files to the shoutcast account's home directory. You need to navigate over to that directory if your not already there. Use the following command to download the files:

Code:
wget http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/sc1-9-8/sc_serv_1.9.8_Linux.tar.gz
Step 4:

You need to extract the downloaded files, Use the following command to extract them:

Code:
tar -zxvf sc_serv_1.9.8_Linux.tar.gz

Step 5:

You now can remove the archive the server files we're in by using this command:

Code:
rm sc_serv_1.9.8_Linux.tar.gz
Step 6:

You now need to configure your ShoutCast Server, This step requires Nano or another text editor. We will be using Nano, Use the following command to edit the configuration file:

Code:
nano sc_serv.conf
Nano now should open with the file, You need to edit the file according to your tastes, Below are some of the nessessary changes that need to be changed:

Code:
MaxUser=32 - Do not set this to a huge number unless your going to be having that many listeners. (It saves resources)

Password=changeme - This password is required to broadcast on the air.

PortBase=8000 - This is the port you can access your server on.

; AdminPassword=adminpass - You need to remove the ; from in front of it. (This is not required but is recommended.)
You now need to save the configuration press: CTRL and X at the same time, It will ask if you want to save the changes, Choose Yes, by typing y, Then press enter.

Step 7:

Now, Its time to start your server. You should use the following command:

Code:
./sc_serv sc_serv.conf
Your server is now successfully started, You can close the SSH Connection. If for some reason, you kill the process or you reboot your VPS, Just complete Step 7 again. You can connect directly using the account you made for shoutcast if you want, if you restart it.

Suggestions:

ShoutCast Monthly Bandwidth Calculator by CasterClub Suggested by: Lewellyn

Last edited:

michael9

Reaction score
You forgot, just before step 3, the user needs to do cd ~ to switch to "shoutcast" or whomever's directory.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice. *Bookmarked*. I maybe start a radiostation sometime, maybe not.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But if I want to send copyrighted music, is there any license to get, or do I need to ask permission for everysong?

bte, +rep

hcse26

Reaction score
Although installing it on a VPS is possible, it's not really recommend to use one w/ limited bw if you're broadcasting to many users and on a high bitrate.

But if I want to send copyrighted music, is there any license to get, or do I need to ask permission for everysong?

bte, +rep

I think you need to get a radio staion-like license to broadcast music over the net. If memory serves right, such a license exists but they're worth 500 bucks above....

Reaction score
Your Country of Residence will have its own licensing body which you can buy a license off. Over in NZ the gyms we have, are being forced to buy licenses because they play music publicly, and the gyms are not very happy! So in short, buy a license or face the wrath of EMI, Universal Music or Warner Bro's Lawyers!

bloodhound15

Reaction score
wow cool and thanks!
im gonna do that
i already have a radio at listen2myradio.com

wesley

dl.singel79

Reaction score
Thanks
But there has been a question for me why you Internet radio training have clearly explained

Napas

Reaction score
Does anyone already run a shoutcast server? i mean i would like to put my music in ^^