Strange sound

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
http://exchangecore.com/noises.wav

Those sounds are coming from my monitor accompanied by flickering.

It started with some intense flicking and then the screen going black. It does not do that anymore but parts still flicker and flash.

Is it safe to still use this? Afraid it's going to blow up or something.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd replace this personally; same sound my alarm clock made before shorting out and dieing. Didn't explode or hurt anything, but it did fizzle a bit until it died...

Not entirely sure if it really is urgent though. It might just be one of those signs that it's aging and needs a replacement, but you might wanna start looking around and negotiate to have a replacement ready in case it blows out (such as hijacking a parents/roomies monitor when needbe, or a TV to plug your system into)

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd be looking for a new monitor soon, especially since it's been blacking out.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I believe that there is a bare wire touching another wire, soon to cause a short out, and yes, a huge fire possibility. I would absolutely replace it or take it apart in hopes of finding the problem. What type of monitor is it? CRT or LCD?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd replace that monitor as soon as possible. It doesn't sound too good :\

brayden13

Reaction score
wow that monitor is stuffed, better off getting a new one, the computer shop will just tell you the same.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
i believe that there is a bare wire touching another wire, soon to cause a short out, and yes, a huge fire possibility. I would absolutely replace it or take it apart in hopes of finding the problem. What type of monitor is it? Crt or lcd?

lcd

Jordan C

Reaction score
LCD, thats weird. If it were CRT, I would say its just getting old, but there must be something really wrong with that one.

I wouldn't say it'd blow up, but it might just stop working.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Probably wont blow up, but a fire is very possible, sorry about your monitor Christopher :(

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Good thing about this is the monitor messed up right in time for black friday sales :)

REBEL21

Reaction score
What smell is it because the same thing happened in school it set fire so i would say SWITCH IT OFF NOW AND GET A NEW ONE!!!!!
Regards,
Jamie
Edit:
Just saw it was LCD did you clean it recently?

Last edited: