Someone got A virus...

xPlozion

Reaction score
wow, that's pathetic... why is norton not out of business? everyone should file a class-action lawsuit against them for false advertisement and or computer damage.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
wow, that's pathetic... why is norton not out of business? everyone should file a class-action lawsuit against them for false advertisement and or computer damage.

Astounding!!!
The only reason Norton isn't out of business is because it is an hp affiliate. So, if you go to the store and buy an hp pc, it's going to have norton installed on it! :naughty:
Since the bulk of people who buy prebuilt computers tend to be people who don't know much about computers or don't want to spend much time on them, they just tend to stick with the software that comes preinstalled instead of getting something new... That sucks:rant2:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Thats 10,600 infected objects, much less viruses. I didn't even know it could get that bad!! Norton prays on the ignorant people, that is why they are still in business. Also, many computer stores still endorse them. Except best buy, which endorses Trend Micro. Norton used to be good, I don't know what happened...

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Norton hires all the people that make the viruses. And then have them create loopholes in their software. Therefore forcing customers to pay expensive upgrade fees to fix a security issue that was put in place, to then complete the loop. It's kinda like a if w/o else statment. haha

hamsn

Reaction score
Shows ignorance by other anti systems.
Fail Microsoft, Hail Linux.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Haha, I've fixed computers a couple of times with that many infections as well as some that have had many variants of Virtumonde clogged up in Windows. Believe me, it's really time consuming when Avast and Spybot cannot remove the garbage. Also, I typically tell people when they get pre-builts to just erase the hard drive and start new, then begin with new software. Not only is the system going to be faster, there's less of the OEM junk on there which HP and the other carriers seem to love to do. Like HP, they put a security/PC Tune Up Center on their computers that only sees the anti-virus that they install, as well as with some Google Stuff and HP suppport, with Norton. Dell, they've started to ease up. Only the Dell Support Center and some Google software, and anything you ask for. Emachines, they've been pretty light but I've noticed they'll cram two anti-virus programs into one system. I typically uninstall both or reformat the box and then install Avast (used to install AVG, but that's gotten bloated really quickly). Emachines does also use some PC updating program which is like Automatic Updates, but it is a bit more annoying when it pops up every 2-4 weeks saying there's a patch, rather than downloading it and installing it. It's called BixFix.

Compaq, Gateway, and the others, can't really say. I do know Gateway installs BigFix and some Google software, but that's just about it. I know of some people who have paid for McAfee and Norton, and I've always told them that if they wanted to save some money, that I do use Avast and that it's free just as long as you renew the subscription every year. They were happy to hear that, especially after I found viruses on their computer even after McAfee/Norton, fully updated was installed and scans had been run.

I know this because I'm always cleaning people's computers out for them. They're suprised when they see that all of the stuff that the computer maker installed was actually just junk or was slowing down their computer. After a good uninstallation of many programs and some nice clean out of System Restore and then a defrag, they're always surprised to see 15% of their disk space freed up (if their drive was really that full).

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Also, I typically tell people when they get pre-builts to just erase the hard drive and start new, then begin with new software. Not only is the system going to be faster, there's less of the OEM junk on there which HP and the other carriers seem to love to do.

There's some good free software that will do that without having to erase the hard drive: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

It does just what the url says it does... lol

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Believe me, I ran that program on our brand new tablet PC, and it only removed Norton and a couple of other programs. I will try it again, though.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Believe me, I ran that program on our brand new tablet PC, and it only removed Norton and a couple of other programs. I will try it again, though.
Odd, in my experience, it removes all unregistered programs and "manufacturer special" programs. I really like it.

Parsa44

Reaction score
Yeah, norton antivirus really is bad. Infact i had to get a anti-anti virus to remove it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
lol @ norton and i thought that they were also affilated with dell right?

Dell actually partners up with many anti-virus vendors, not to mention McAfee, Symantec, and Trend Micro. Other companies like HP seem to enjoy Norton very much, and Gateway, they seem to partner up with McAfee/Norton as well.

There's some good free software that will do that without having to erase the hard drive: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

It does just what the url says it does... lol

lol. I've seen that program before. I haven't used it, but even if the program does remove all of the OEM installed crap (I've heard it does as well), nothing beats a good old fashioned full reformat. By the way, looking at that site, I do see Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition trial bundled to loads of OEM computers. Typically I'll point the person to OpenOffice to save them some money unless they have a really bad need for Microsoft Office.

Last edited: