Facing weird problems, Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
Hello friends,

My blog was running on absolut and now it has been transferred to lotus but I am facing some issues with my blog now..

First I am getting the following error in my (wordpress) site and the admin dashboard:

Code:
Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

I searched Google and got the following solution from http://forum.mambo-foundation.org/showthread.php?t=3219 :

FAQ: session save path
There are two issues that often bring people to the forums looking for answers. Hopefully, this FAQ will help if you get either of these two warnings with your Mambo site:

session save path Unwriteable
or
session save path Not Set

Session.save_path is a PHP directive which needs to be set in your PHP configuration settings (the php.ini file). It is unusual to encounter problems with this in a shared hosting environment as it is a standard PHP setting that most hosts enable. However, sometimes hosts don't set it correctly.

If you have set up your own server, you will need to edit your php.ini file to enable PHP sessions.

Please Note: this is NOT a Mambo issue. PHP is designed to handle sessions and almost every dynamic script requires the use of sessions.

To check if session.save_path is set on your web server space, create a file with a text editor, calling it info.php (you can call it anything you like as long as you create the file with the .php extension).
In the file, put this one line of code:
Code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
Upload the file to your site, then call it in your web browser, eg. http://yourdomain.com/info.php

Look for the entry that says: session.save_path = path/to/sessions/file
If there is no file entered, then you do not have a session.save_path set up. If there is a file entered, check that it exists and is writeable.

If you are using a hosted account for your web site and there is no session.save_path entered, or it is not writeable - contact your host and ask them to change this.

Sometimes, the sessions file is writeable, but the file ownership is not set for it to be writeable by Mambo. Again, this is a matter for your host.

What happens if my host won't help?
Consider changing hosts (you pay them for their service after all!)
Or try .htaccess
.htaccess workaround:
This will work in the following situations:
PHP is run as a module under Apache (mod_php)
Your host has allowed .htaccess overrides (if you already successfully use an .htaccess file, then your server space most likely meets both these requirements)
It won't work in these situations:
You are running PHP under CGI (eg. suexec)
You are running your site on a Windows server or IIS
Either open an .htaccess file you already have in the public html of your site and enter this directive, or create an .htaccess file with your text editor and upload it to your public http space:

Code:
php_value session.save_path '/path/to/a/writeable/folder'
If you do not already have a sessions folder to use, create one and make sure the path is correct.

Important!
Because the sessions folder accumulates all kinds of information about your site, it should NOT be placed within any public area of your web space. For your site's security, it should be created outside the public_html or www area, in the root of your server space, not your web root.

Changing php.ini yourself:
The format to use in your php.ini file is as follows:
session.save_path = w:/tmp

Windows users may need to change this to:
session.save_path = w:\tmp (usually the forward slash delimiter works just fine).

Summary:
Session.save_path is a PHP directive which needs to set by your hosting company. If you get messages on installing Mambo, that say that session save path is not set or is unwriteable, you should really contact your host and alert them to the problem.

But whenever I am doing what is said I am getting Misconfigured Server error, so I am reverting back. :dunno:

Also suddenly all the sites tags and categories are gone and its empty. Searching through Google I found that this problem is occuring due to the above error only. So if the first problem gets solved the second one gets solved automatically.

Third is when during the move from absolut server to lotus server, lots of my files were missing so I openned a support ticket and my files were recovered from the backup they were having. But later I noticed that I've lost ownership to the files, the owner was now root. Due to this I couldn't edit any files nor I can overwrite the files. Though I manually created another directory and uploaded all the wordpress files myself and got my site back and everything got back to normal. But the old files are still there and they are taking disk space which I want to get back. I am unable to delete them as I am not the owner of them. How do I delete those files? :dunno:

Please help me solve this problems :happysad:

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
The "Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) ...." error is a problem with the server.

They've had this a few times before. You could submit a Support ticket to let them know, but the chances are that they know already, & will be fixing it.

See this ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/programming-help/98821-weird-error.html

Thanks..
Hmmm.. so I am not the only one facing the problem, well then I will wait for a bit to see if it gets resolved before submitting a support ticket as I have read in the news section that they are already chocked with support tickets. I hope the problem gets resolved quickly.

Can you tell what should I do about my last problem of file ownership? Should I wait before everything gets back to normal in x10hosting world? :happysad:

zen-r

Reaction score
In the thread which I linked to, the last poster, xadrieth, said it was working again without him having to submit a ticket. So hopefully the same will happen for you.

I'm not sure about the 2nd question (the "ownership" thing threw me a bit). Perhaps someone else can answer that.

But if I was to hazard a guess, it sounds like Support will have to unlock the files so they can be deleted. Have you actually tried to change file permissions, though? I'd have thought you should be able to, prior to deleting them.

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
In the thread which I linked to, the last poster, xadrieth, said it was working again without him having to submit a ticket. So hopefully the same will happen for you.

I'm not sure about the 2nd question (the "ownership" thing threw me a bit). Perhaps someone else can answer that.

But if I was to hazard a guess, it sounds like Support will have to unlock the files so they can be deleted. Have you actually tried to change file permissions, though? I'd have thought you should be able to, prior to deleting them.

You mean changing file permissions using FTP client? Yes I did, but it threw me an error that I am not authorized, I mean I cannot change them as I am not the owner of the files which I cannot change. As you can see in the screenshot the owner root for the folders wp-admin and wp-includes3. I have deleted my username from the screenshot for security reasons.

owner.jpg

zen-r

Reaction score
You mean changing file permissions using FTP client? Yes I did, but it threw me an error that I am not authorized, I mean I cannot change them as I am not the owner of the files which I cannot change. As you can see in the screenshot the owner root for the folders wp-admin and wp-includes3. I have deleted my username from the screenshot for security reasons.

View attachment 3264

I don't know about that. I just meant for you to log into cPanel.

(I just access my cPanel from http://www.MyWebsiteName.x10hosting.com:2082/

or (my server is stoli) http://stoli.x10hosting.com:2082

Also you can log in to your AMP ; http://x10hosting.com/panel.php and then click thru to log in to your cPanel from there.)

Then click the file manager.

You should be able to change file permissions in there.

Last edited:

rlodge

Reaction score
It seems like n30the0ne has basically the same problem I have been experiencing. I submitted a support ticket and received a reply from an Account Manager stating "I am moving this ticket to server move issues as it seems there is a problem with with the owner of those certain files. An admin should reply shortly."

Now they're swamped right now so I know it could be a bit before I get another reply so I'll wait & see.

The message I got when trying to change permissions on a directory was "FileOp Failure on: /home/user/public_html/gallery: Operation not permitted."

Also, when attempting to create a new page I got "Error creating access file in the /pages directory (insufficient privileges)".

I'll wait and see what they come up with to fix this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.