LMSTFY - Let Me Search That For You

zapzack

Reaction score
Are you sick and tired of users on the x10hosting forums not searching before they post? Well don't be anymore! I present to you, Let me search that for you! It is designed to make the user feel stupid that they weren't able to find their answers themselves. Just input search terms and copy the url. We even have TinyURL built right in. So what are you waiting for, go check it out. http://lmstfy.co.cc

- If anybody wants to help out with making a better site design, pm me. ichwar is currently helping with the designs..
- If there are any errors, please post them below.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Besides the text box not completely lining up with the image, that site works great. Also, you should make the image full screen like to lmstfy.com.

zapzack

Reaction score
I'm not good with designing the site.. I'm just good with backends.. Heh.. If you're able to help out with the design shoot me a pm..

zen-r

Reaction score
Excellent work - Rep'd!
reputation.gif

I think you should give credit to the site which originally came up with this format of search ;

http://lmgtfy.com/

....And also to me :biggrin:
for coming up with the idea of doing an x10 Search version of it, over in this post ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-a...coming-free-support-changes-3.html#post562674 & here http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-a...coming-free-support-changes-3.html#post562715

Full credit to you though, zapzack, for taking my suggestion & doing all the work & showing good creativity!

I will have some suggestions etc for you, or anyone else who wants to help development (such as : if you can't add the animated effects, perhaps you could at least add a delay to the search page, to allow people to more easily see what is happening).

I'll also have some queries (regarding the other account you created for the site, & log-in security etc).

I'll post them a bit later, when I'm less busy with other stuff today, & if no-one else has brought them up by then. :)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I can help with the front end. PM me if you still need someone to do that.

zen-r

Reaction score
(Oops! I had an internet glitch & my last post got made before it was ready. It's been edited now).

@ichwar - I suggest you go ahead & work with zapzack on the design. I don't think anyone else has offered yet (& it's about time you did something useful around here! ;) )

@Twinkie - yes, a better, bigger front-end would be great. The only thing to be careful of, is to stay on the right side of any copyright issues (both x10's, & also those of http://lmgtfy.com ).

I think it would still be great if someone was able to re-create the animated mouse effect, & some sarcastic step-by-step instructions as the mouse clicks on things, to really make the recipient of the link feel stupid! :naughty:

You could also add some subtle adverts, if you want to create some revenue from the site.

Help from anyone else is still wanted & welcome. :)

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
Excellent work - Rep'd!
reputation.gif

I think you should give credit to the site which originally came up with this format of search ;

http://lmgtfy.com/

....And also to me :biggrin:
for coming up with the idea of doing an x10 Search version of it, over in this post ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-a...coming-free-support-changes-3.html#post562674 & here http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-a...coming-free-support-changes-3.html#post562715

Full credit to you though, zapzack, for taking my suggestion & doing all the work & showing good creativity!

I will have some suggestions etc for you, or anyone else who wants to help development (such as : if you can't add the animated effects, perhaps you could at least add a delay to the search page, to allow people to more easily see what is happening).

I'll also have some queries (regarding the other account you created for the site, & log-in security etc).

I'll post them a bit later, when I'm less busy with other stuff today, & if no-one else has brought them up by then. :)

Well, since ichwar is now going to do the designing, I'll let him add in all those sweet effects, and credit will go to zen-r, lmgtfy, me, and ichwar.. Relay your suggestions to the design to him, and the internals to me..

About the security, It cannot be exploited.. All it's doing is posting information to the search form on this forum.. Unless php becomes uninstalled and the code is revealed (I highly doubt that), then the login username and password (md5'ed) will be shown.. If your wondering how secure is the password is, it is symbols, letters, numbers, and uppercase letters.. Like all my passwords are..

taha116

Reaction score
Sweet i have photoshop and even though im a total nub i could try some effects out on any image you need to work on. Let me know. BTW what did it take to make that allot of time? What languages? ive always wondered what a app like that takes.

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
Sweet i have photoshop and even though im a total nub i could try some effects out on any image you need to work on. Let me know. BTW what did it take to make that allot of time? What languages? ive always wondered what a app like that takes.

PHP.. My favorite scripting language :)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Looking through the backend, I'd like to redo it so it works without JavaScript, but I guess it's ok as is.

Could someone fill me in on this mouse effect you want? I don't see anything special on the current search page.
Edit:
Ok, here's what I need to know.

Zapzack, you just took a screenshot and overlaid a text field over that. That of course caused that misalignment problem. Now, it would easy enough for me to disasemble that image so that I could fit it around the text boxes and that way it would look natural. Before I do that, I need to know if doing that would violate x10's copyright on this theme.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Ok, some more feedback/suggestions (do with them what you wish) ;

Try to make the first/interface page as self-contained as possible.

So it could contain some more info on it's purpose (similar to what zapzack wrote in the 1st post of this thread) & instructions for use.

There could also be other sub-pages such as an About Us (giving the history of the site's creation, & even a link to this thread in x10's forum, so that other's using the new site can come to this thread & post feedback!) Possibly also an FAQ, & all the other pages one finds on a normal site, like the Contact Us, Copyright, & TOS.

Explain the purpose of the TinyURL button (link cloaking). By the way, that button seems to have stopped working for me.

Some discrete adverts if you want to get some revenue!

Possibly a warning to show if javascript is disabled/needed (unless you manage to redesign the site without scripts, but I suspect that isn't too likely).

Change the text at the top, to show "x10hosting.com" & make it a clickable link (you could even make it a referral link).

Also include a link to x10's original Search page, as a useful feature for people who want to go there directly.

Now, regarding security;

I don't really know how your page works, but perhaps you could clarify a few things for myself & anyone else wishing to use the site (& also place answers to some key questions on the site itself, maybe in the FAQ).

How does the site work? (in layman's terms - but no need to reveal trade secrets! ;) ). Is it able to steal the member's username/password as they get directed to x10's Search page, & then the member perhaps continues to browse x10 from there?

Does it need/use the new x10 account you created? If so, what keeps that account from going inactive? Are the user's Search terms logged? Is anything else logged? (IP etc)......And so on. These things could come under a Privacy Policy. Logging is OK as long as it is not too personal to the user, & as long as it is clearly outlined in the Policy.

@ichwar - regarding the animated mouse effect, & sarcastic step-by-step instructions as the mouse clicks on things, to really make the recipient of the link feel stupid ;

see how this site does it ; http://lmgtfy.com

Our site could use the idea, but doesn't/shouldn't necessarily be the same.

Regarding disassembling the theme's image; I don't know about the copyright - you could always ask Corey for permission. It doesn't need to use much of the theme anyway, & if necessary you can always tweak it to resemble x10, but to be suitably different.

I hope these ideas have helped. I'm sure you already have plenty enough ideas of your own! :)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, this is zapzack's project, so I'll wait for HIM to get permission from Corey before I splice the image and code it into the page.

lol, I like that lmgtfy page. I'll try and imitate it. This could be rather fun. :D
Anyways, take your time in getting permission zapzack. I've got another project I need to finish first. That will probably take me through the end of the week.

zapzack

Reaction score
Ok, some more feedback/suggestions (do with them what you wish) ;

Try to make the first/interface page as self-contained as possible.

So it could contain some more info on it's purpose (similar to what zapzack wrote in the 1st post of this thread) & instructions for use.

There could also be other sub-pages such as an About Us (giving the history of the site's creation, & even a link to this thread in x10's forum, so that other's using the new site can come to this thread & post feedback!) Possibly also an FAQ, & all the other pages one finds on a normal site, like the Contact Us, Copyright, & TOS.

Explain the purpose of the TinyURL button (link cloaking). By the way, that button seems to have stopped working for me.

Some discrete adverts if you want to get some revenue!

Possibly a warning to show if javascript is disabled/needed (unless you manage to redesign the site without scripts, but I suspect that isn't too likely).

Change the text at the top, to show "x10hosting.com" & make it a clickable link (you could even make it a referral link).

Also include a link to x10's original Search page, as a useful feature for people who want to go there directly.

Now, regarding security;

I don't really know how your page works, but perhaps you could clarify a few things for myself & anyone else wishing to use the site (& also place answers to some key questions on the site itself, maybe in the FAQ).

How does the site work? (in layman's terms - but no need to reveal trade secrets! ;) ). Is it able to steal the member's username/password as they get directed to x10's Search page, & then the member perhaps continues to browse x10 from there?

Does it need/use the new x10 account you created? If so, what keeps that account from going inactive? Are the user's Search terms logged? Is anything else logged? (IP etc)......And so on. These things could come under a Privacy Policy. Logging is OK as long as it is not too personal to the user, & as long as it is clearly outlined in the Policy.

@ichwar - regarding the animated mouse effect, & sarcastic step-by-step instructions as the mouse clicks on things, to really make the recipient of the link feel stupid ;

see how this site does it ; http://lmgtfy.com

Our site could use the idea, but doesn't/shouldn't necessarily be the same.

Regarding disassembling the theme's image; I don't know about the copyright - you could always ask Corey for permission. It doesn't need to use much of the theme anyway, & if necessary you can always tweak it to resemble x10, but to be suitably different.

I hope these ideas have helped. I'm sure you already have plenty enough ideas of your own! :)

The TinyURL button works.. just wait 5 seconds.. it has to generate.. The site works via cURL.. It logs in, and posts to the search, then send the user to the search URL.. the user cannot get any user info.. And if that user does, it is a dummy account.. heh.. But from what I've tested... you cant exploit it.. Nothing is logged.. The account shouldn't go inactive..

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
TinyURL worked for me yesterday, but stopped today.

I've found & fixed the problem though : I'd set my NoScript add-on in my Firefox browser to allow the site to work, but for some reason since yesterday, even though it still displayed as allowing scripts, it must have started blocking them again. I've un-blocked the scripts now, & the button works nicely again. :)

the user cannot get any user info

What do you mean? I sort of understood some of your explanation. Also, are you saying that your site can't or just doesn't have access to a user's passwords?

"Nothing is logged" - does this mean all stats etc are also turned off in cPanel?

Why won't the account go inactive? Doesn't it require the owner to log in to the forum every 2 weeks? What if you aren't able to in the future - is there a back-up plan?

Keep up the good work! And as ichwar said, there's no hurry with any of this, so don't forget to do the more important things in your life first. Your work producing this site has been really fast, so far! :)

zapzack

Reaction score
TinyURL worked for me yesterday, but stopped today.

I've found & fixed the problem though : I'd set my NoScript add-on in my Firefox browser to allow the site to work, but for some reason since yesterday, even though it still displayed as allowing scripts, it must have started blocking them again. I've un-blocked the scripts now, & the button works nicely again. :)

What do you mean? I sort of understood some of your explanation. Also, are you saying that your site can't or just doesn't have access to a user's passwords?

"Nothing is logged" - does this mean all stats etc are also turned off in cPanel?

Why won't the account go inactive? Doesn't it require the owner to log in to the forum every 2 weeks? What if you aren't able to in the future - is there a back-up plan?

Keep up the good work! And as ichwar said, there's no hurry with any of this, so don't forget to do the more important things in your life first. Your work producing this site has been really fast, so far! :)

The only password they could get is lmstfy's but I encoded the password and included the file from my home directory. All logging is off in cPanel.. It's never been enabled afaik.. They don't suspend forum account.. THe only way the site goes down is if I stop visiting the forums.. And if I'm leaving to go somewhere I'm giving you the link to a file you must open in your browser weekly while im gone.. If i leave permanently (doubt it) I will set a cron job for every 10 days to log me in..

zen-r

Reaction score
Excellent - thanks.

I think you keep misunderstanding me about the security.

I'm asking if your site can (be coded to) get the user's x10forum passwords, not if other users can hack it for passwords. I gather that it probably can't, but I'm asking so as to get an answer which will put the minds at rest of anyone who might be worried about it.

zapzack

Reaction score
Excellent - thanks.

I think you keep misunderstanding me about the security.

I'm asking if your site can (be coded to) get the user's x10forum passwords, not if other users can hack it for passwords. I gather that it probably can't, but I'm asking so as to get an answer which will put the minds at rest of anyone who might be worried about it.

It cannot.. It's just logging in as a normal user, typing into the search box, and submitting the form.. It's just a regular web browser.. in PHP..

zen-r

Reaction score
Great!

So that should clarify for people that it's safe to click on any of the search results it produces, & then browse from there in the forums as normal.

The user can even enter passwords into their x10forum page at a later point, without fear that they might still actually be within the site's "fake" page.

taha116

Reaction score
ok so it logs into something like a dummy account or say your account and searches and the link that it gets it gives to our browsers? Thats how it works? you should force captcha in between the process so that X10 do sent get any search flodding issues... and dose x10 have search interval requirement? i dont remember but if it does could that pose a potential issue for you if 2 ppl hapen to click at the same time?

Just looking for problems before they may happen. Dont want to be an ass and turn you off on your idea, i think its great though.

zen-r

Reaction score
It logs into its own "dummy" account, not the users account.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be any more risk of search flooding, than x10 would get if people searched directly as they normally would on x10's search page.

Zapzack should be able to confirm this at some point.

The trick with any project development like this is to see each additional problem or idea that comes up as a challenge, & to not be put off at the first few possible hurdles. This is a good project idea, with great coding, & with all the resources of a forum full of x10 members behind it, who can offer any support which may be needed. :)

Last edited: