Mayan Calendar 2012

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you think about the Mayan December 21, 2012 predictions?

From my understanding, it doesn't mean an ending, it's a new beginning, or the calendar doesn't actually end?

I don't think scientists actually believe it because if the world is going to end so soon, what's the point in advancing science? What's the point of anything?

lhyman

Reaction score
I refuse to trust a culture, that did a continual human sacrifices because they thought the sun would stop shinning... they were wrong with that idea and they are wrong with time stopping in 2012

Last edited:

frogamus

Reaction score

From my understanding, it doesn't mean an ending, it's a new beginning, or the calendar doesn't actually end?

I don't think scientists actually believe it because if the world is going to end so soon, what's the point in advancing science? What's the point of anything?

There have been lots of rumors of a near earth asteroid event for years. Recently I have seen a lot of commercials on TV about a pending major solar event in 2012 advertising the web site http://TheIHC.com .

nexhunter

Reaction score
it a movie frogamus by sony but man those commercials are real like for a vault type ordeal, and their is going to be a near earth object which if it enters a very small window our gravity will either slow it down or speed it up but that not till about around 2027

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw one of those commercials earlier. I think all this is, is another Y2K problem where everybody freaked out and bought water and made shelters.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

For my AP English Language and Composition class last year as my final paper, I wrote about the fourth dimension and how it can be used as a scientific explanation for religion, particularly Christianity. During my research, I found something incredibly intriguing.

By entering the fourth dimension, you become completely unaffected by the progression of time. You are able to control time on-demand, similar to how we are able to control our depth within our world on-demand by walking forward, backward, to the left, and to the right.

By ending the calendar in December of 2012, I question that the Mayans may have been implying that time no longer influences us after the specified date. Could we possibly become fourth-dimensional beings after the world "ends"? And if this is so, does the world ending simply mean that the world as we know it ends?

vekou

Reaction score
i think something will really happen, but i think it won't be anything like meteors hitting earth, great tsunami, etc. it's quite coincidential actually that many events will occur during that date:

- The Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar ends
- Winter Solstice
- Galactic Alignment,etc..

There's nothing wrong if we don't believe or not.. Let's hope nothing bad happens, but let's expect the worst.

truthguild

Reaction score
i think something will really happen, but i think it won't be anything like meteors hitting earth, great tsunami, etc. it's quite coincidential actually that many events will occur during that date:

- The Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar ends
- Winter Solstice
- Galactic Alignment,etc..

There's nothing wrong if we don't believe or not.. Let's hope nothing bad happens, but let's expect the worst.
those aren't coincidences. they based their calendar on astrological events, so it's no surprise it would end on the solistice. the galactic alignment happens every year on the winter solistice as well - it's nothing particularly special.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well what if a meteor didn't hit the Earth, but hit the moon. The Earth would no longer be influenced by the moon's gravitational force... Which is very bad. Everything would probably flood. High tide would come miles into land.

Maybe the calendar ends because these things that are supposed to happen had never happened before and they may believe it would be so extreme and cause everything to end?

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

To see how far we can get? xD

I refuse to trust a culture, that did a continual human sacrifices because they thought the sun would stop shinning... they were wrong with that idea and they are wrong with time stopping in 2012

They accurately calculated the distance between the earth and the moon...

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

I know this may seem a little far-fetched, but you never know if the sun will stop shining any day. Scientists believe that the sun will last another handful of billions of years, but there may be characteristics about the sun they are unaware of. You never know if the sun will explode, the world will end, and the sun will stop shining in December of 2012.

lhyman

Reaction score
yes but kidnapping and murder to keep the sun shining...???

so what if their calender ends at 2012...

so what if they accurately calculated the distance between the earth and the moon....

continual human sacrafice.... sorry, I refuse to accept anything from such barbarians !

when the sacrifices finally stopped, the sun did not stop shining....

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why did their calendar stop? Did they ever state a reason? I know they were too smart for their own good and eventually died out (or got killed, I don't remember)... What if that's just their last prediction before death?

nexhunter

Reaction score
they were killed out by the spanish conquestadors and war also with other tribes well not fully killed out but they had to go into hiding and lost most of their ways including the codex's the spanish burned, and the calendar probably stopped since their was no more room on the slab of stone or it was the end of one cycle and start of another

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why did their calendar stop? Did they ever state a reason? I know they were too smart for their own good and eventually died out (or got killed, I don't remember)... What if that's just their last prediction before death?

According to the Mayan civilization the world was created at the Birth of Venus (13th August 3314 BC) and the estimates that it would end with the passage of Venus 13 "baktuner". I.e sometime around the winter solstice, 21th December 2012.

source: Swedish wikipedia (I didn't find it in the English wikipedia :S)

(13 "Baktuner" = 1 872 000 days = 5125 years)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Haven't scientists stated that the Earth is billions and billions of years old... Their "cycle" is only a few thousand years old...

I don't believe the world is billions of years old anyway.

wolflock

Reaction score
I think it is utter BS! There have been End of the World Predictions all the time in the past and abosilutely NONE of them came true.
In Fact the Mayan Calender continues till the Year 4000. Plus, On Penn and Teller's BS Series, the new season, they did a show on the Doomsday prophecies. In the program they actually had people meet with a Mayan Princess and asked her if there was any truth to the prophecies. Her answer? NO! If anyone does beleive in the prophecies, I will offer the same as Penn and Teller. I will purchase your Home from you for $2000. You may live there rent free till 2012 (the end). If nothing happens though, your home is mine and you will have to leave. Any takers? :)

If you google "Penn and Teller Doomsday", you should be able to find enough of the show to hear the truth.

Regards
Wolflock

shaggs2004

Reaction score
I Just thought i would put my 2 pennies worth into this topic
As far as i am aware the Mayan calendar is based on something called the "long count" which is approximately 23000 years long and comes to an end on 21st December 2012
The Mayans only stated after the winter solstice of 2012 that a new count begins
No disasters or nothing will happen only a new count will start
Likely the reason they did not then have a calendar for after that date was that it was so far ahead that they did not need to complete another calendar for a few hundred years or so
"Go into your local stationers and try to find a calendar with 2209 and you will struggle i would think" :biggrin:
Shaggs

vekou

Reaction score
those aren't coincidences. they based their calendar on astrological events, so it's no surprise it would end on the solistice. the galactic alignment happens every year on the winter solistice as well - it's nothing particularly special.
i mean galactic alignment on the galactic equator. if you're wondering, it happens every 36 years.

yes but kidnapping and murder to keep the sun shining...???

so what if their calender ends at 2012...

so what if they accurately calculated the distance between the earth and the moon....

continual human sacrafice.... sorry, I refuse to accept anything from such barbarians !

when the sacrifices finally stopped, the sun did not stop shining....
guess what? mayans are not the only "barbaric" creature on earth that ever lived. there were people who killed, murdered and crucified people just because they felt like they were mocking their god. There were even people who attempted to kill a whole race because they felt they were superior and theirs were inferior. There are even people who wages war against other countries, accuse them of being enemies of democracy, but only to prove that they are still a superior race.

If these things aren't barbaric, then I don't know anymore. at least mayans sacrifice people because they have a cause to save more people.