Do U Have You tried Ubuntu Operating System?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A day or two ago, when I was searching about operating system in Google, I have found one new operating system ( I've never seen other operating system other than Microsoft windows). That operating system (Ubuntu) is free of cost and we can also request its CD for free, with all the applications loaded like in Windows. All software's are free. Then why it is not so popular like Microsoft's Operating system. What Problem I'm going to face if I'll install that OS?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's not popular for the same reason why Microsoft and Apple market their stuff so heavily. The typical PC user isn't well informed of the free operating systems. Truthfully, I feel as though it's due to an ease of use issue. Everyone knows just about everyone supports Windows, and Macs have been well known and loved for a while so that's why. Linux is starting to gain it's market as well as more and more of the less technically savvy people find out about it. I've shown a few of those non-technically savvy people Linux before when they manage to FUBAR their Windows install, and they were surprised on how quick it was running off of the CD drive on their PC, and how easy it was to get their programs. I told them that for the most part, you can run most Windows applications in Linux (you can) and that some programs have to be installed through a command line, however there's loads of help over the Internet plus I support Linux so yeah.

But you won't know what kind of problems you'll hit until you install the Operating System. If you have a fast Internet connection, you can download the CD/DVD, burn the ISO to a disk and then boot up the disk without installing anything to your hard disk. You can give Linux a shot there and see if you like it. The only real problem you'll have with switching to Windows is of course, getting your older Windows applications (if none can be found for Linux that are similar) to run under programs like WINE, and of course drivers and backing up your files. But as I said, give it a shot. If you want to have more of a hands on approach to learning Linux while keeping Windows intact, dual-boot Linux and Windows or install it to a Virtual Machine :)

EDIT: Also, a lot of people still think that Linux is a command line based system, much like what you'll find on older Vintage PCs running Basic where you'd have to tell the PC to run a program in a certain location, or enter in instructions into the computer yourself. That's not true. Linux (as well as Windows and OS-X) can be GUI based or Command line based.

Last edited:

kinley3

Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu a couple weeks ago and everything is running smooth, although the computer is a little outdated at over four years old. Only problem I had was that my wireless card wasn't recognized. I bought a $30 Belkin Wireless G USB stick and everything turned out perfect.

Problems you may expect to encounter would probably be along those same lines, such as ethernet adaptor and your sound card. It would be a good idea to find out beforehand what kind of hardware you're running with and double-checking to see if a) it's supported and b) there are any tricks in case it's not.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Can i connect my printer,phone (via bluetooth and cable), ipod, camera. That's what i freq.. Need. For all other i have another OS

Parsa44

Reaction score
Problem with ubuntu is that it isn't supported, unlike microsoft.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Problem with ubuntu is that it isn't supported, unlike microsoft.

An odd thing to say IMHO, Ubuntu IS very well supported. Of course you would have to actually use it ( or take a look a the website) to learn this first hand.

Micro$soft = Good Support!!! , spare me the slick sales spin..

Got Windows 7 ?, cannot get drivers ? Compatibility & Connectivity Issues with HP wireless printers?
TOUGH no updates this side of Xmas, Febuary 2010 maybe.

I know, while we are waiting let's talk about the appaling fiasco of the Vista SP1 service pack that turns some computers into a little more than a paperwieght, the M$ 'approved' fix for this problem ..
purchase another copy of Vista and do a clean re-install. That's not support, that's sharp practice.

Very fond of Ubuntu here and the thirty or so SUPPORTED applications that also come for FREE with it, Openoffice,HTML editors, GIMP graphics.. bearing in mind that Ubuntu is a completely free download in itself without restrictions or time limit. It is easy to understand why M$ fanboys are out and about in force slagging it off.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Ubuntu, it's very nice. I'm sure you'll love it.

cenobite321

Reaction score
I also use Ubuntu, I think is the best Linux distro up to this date and, from my experience, I also think it is probably faster than Windows. The only two problems that I have with it is the famous sound problem with some applications, for example, if you have Firefox opened you don't have sound in Audacity (an audio recording program) or in some videogames. The other problem is that there is still no full support for Windows apps, although there is Wine and its derivatives to run them, it has had its issues specially with graphics demanding programs. Fortunately the Ubuntu and Wine community are working to solve these things and are evolving Ubuntu to be a more user-friendly OS.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Can i connect my printer,phone (via bluetooth and cable), ipod, camera. That's what i freq.. Need. For all other i have another OS

All of that should already work. If not, just as long as you have a network connection and can open up the terminal, and sudo in a wget command you should be able to download packages (possibly even ones already in Synaptics which don't need terminal). iPod Support should be fine as well.

Also for those of you who are having apps break due to SP1/SP2 installs in Vista, are you keeping updated copies of the program installed? Most of the problems I've had to repair for people with SP1/SP2 after-install issues were due to driver from 2006-2007 which were well known as bug ridden drivers. I've had Vista for a while now and none of my stuff has gotten nuked from a Microsoft Update.