[??? credits] Name that developer!

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
So, I've taken it upon myself to start developing some software for Linux servers. It's been tough; self-taught C++ isn't as good as a BA in computer sciences, but I'm trudging along. Anyway, I'm terrible with names. "LiquidPHP" was my last project's name. However "Liquid" is in use a lot already and "PHP" is not the language I'm programming in anymore, so I have to move on.

Here's how it works. You can post questions if you need help figuring out a name. Things like "What is your favorite color?" and "What's a unique feature of your software?" are good questions. My answers will probably not be so good.

After you've gotten all your questions answered, you'll make a "bid." That is, you'll post that you have a name (without mentioning the name), some generalized categories for the name (eg "color + feature"), and you'll request a certain amount of credits. Note that you should ask for significantly less than I have, because I'll be using them as follows. For your trouble, if I want to open your bid, I'll give you 100 credits. You'll PM or email me the name and as long as it is not taken and significantly unique, you'll get your 100 credits. If it's not unique, I will send you nothing. So, google your name before you place a bid. If I like your name and decide to use it, you get your full amount of credits. If I don't like it, hold on because I change my mind pretty often :p

You may place as many bids as you want. Each one gets you 100 credits, plus your bid amount if you win. This offer will stay open as long as I have a need for a name and excess credits.

EDIT: I'll give you an extra bonus for recursive acronym. For example, Linux Is Not Unix and Wine Is Not a Windows Emulator. Also, there will be no credits awarded for really terrible names. "Terrible software" for example, will not get you anything.

Last edited:

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice.I think I can be good here.
Can you let us know what is the theme of software.
How is that to be used?Why should it be for Linux only ..can it be put on Android?
Regs,
VVBB

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I like this idea.
What does the software do?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice.I think I can be good here.
Can you let us know what is the theme of software.
How is that to be used?Why should it be for Linux only ..can it be put on Android?
Regs,
VVBB

Themes are modularity, liquidity, reliability, and extensibility. Windows support is a whole separate project because of differences in libraries. There'd be no purpose for this to run on Android. There will also be some Unix support too, depending on availability of a test server for each distro.

I like this idea.
What does the software do?

It's a server administration software. It would be similar to the Cpanel we all know and love. There would be a significant number of differences (possibly a free version even!).

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
LREMin or something like that?
Which one of those themes do you see as the most vital to the success of the software?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
LREMin or something like that?
Which one of those themes do you see as the most vital to the success of the software?

Any one of them would be fine. I'm pretty big into the "liquid" theme, but "liquid" is pretty played out. I was playing around with "deliquescent" (synonymous with "liquid") but it's a mouthful of a world.