how to use IDE harddisk with laptop

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I got an IDE harddisk and i want to retrieve data inside it. I don't have a desktop right now. All i have is a laptop, is there any way i can retrieve data from it.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You should be able to buy cheaply (or, perhaps, even borrow) a USB drive enclosure for your drive. If you decide to buy, after you've done the data retrieval, you will have a perfectly serviceable external hard drive you can use for transfering/storing data and doing system backups. Obviously, I'm not familiar with the market in your area, but one can usually pick up an enclosure for about $15-20 in my area at a storefront retailer.

There are also "caseless" universal USB drive adapters that will take a 2.5" or 3.5" IDE or SATA drive in a top-loading slot. You might find a local repair shop or retailer (or a friendly corporate IT department) who would let you use it for the transfer if you don't want to buy your own enclosure -- they're usually used by retailers or IT departments for creating disk images and by repair types for data recovery.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
can i use my IDE hdd as an external hdd with that IDE adapter?

wongers

Reaction score
you should basically buy yourself an empty enclosure, a little box that will encase your IDE HDD, there will be an IDE connector on the inside and then on the outside of the case can be a selection of USB, eSATA depending on what it is your looking for.

Most these days are even self powered and do not require a plug to be used and then you have your own external portable HDD.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The "self powered" units are generally 2.5" enclosures; 3.5" enclosures almost always use mains power. (That's probably because notebook drives are usually low-power 5800RPM units, while desktop drives tend to be 7200RPM or faster and the larger platters have more inertia when spinning up -- the motor requires more power than even twin USB cables can provide.)

Still, this is all just repeating what I said in my original response.

rolandr

Reaction score
Yup, all the above.

You guys helped me when I wanted to retrieve data from my SATA drive from my other laptop. I got a Rosewill module that accommodates a 2.5 and 3.5 SATA drive. So I'm sure there's one for IDE to USB. Matter of fact on my post someone had a link to one.

Reaction score
thank you ./. I am thinking about buying a new highly configured laptop but still want to use my old desktop's IDE PATA disk and Another SATA disk sometimes to copy to laptop

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
thank you ./. I am thinking about buying a new highly configured laptop but still want to use my old desktop's IDE PATA disk and Another SATA disk sometimes to copy to laptop

If it makes it any easier, you could also set up a PC as a file share and simply share the hard disks you already have over the network. Won't be as fast as USB, Firewire or eSATA ports on a laptop (Do they make many new machines with Thunderbolts? Some high end PCs and Macs seem to have them) unless you're on Gigabit Ethernet but I think having the convenience of doing that rather than carrying a drive around the house might be a nice complement to a drive enclosure.

wongers

Reaction score
actually, get a HDD enclosure that has a RJ45 connection on it, then you can plug it in to your Router and boom. problem solved for ever, Ever!