Wordpress Help

lawncliff

Reaction score
I have created my new site in Wordpress. Now, how do I get it to replace the old site?
The old site is cyfairnwoa.x10.mx
The new site is cyfairnwoa.x10.mx/wp

Last edited:

nemesis0one

Reaction score
Hi lawncliff,
Thats not an easy thing to do with a wordpress blog unless you have a backup/restore plugin installed or seperate backup script which allows database restores to be modified for moving to another location & I dont think wordpress has a free one either, sadly.

It would be too much work involved to adjust every database table content entry & mistakes would be made quite easely.

Regards

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It's actually rather simple.
1. Go into your wordpress admin interface and edit the WordPress Address (URL) AND site URL to reflect what you want it to become (cyfairnwoa.x10.mx). Backup your database first to ensure you can restore functionality if something goes wrong.
2. Move (or copy to be safe until confirmed it works) all files from public_html/wp to public_html replacing any files that are already there (This assumes you do not want anything about the old file to remain online). You have now moved your wordpress to load up from the url of your old site.

nemesis0one

Reaction score
Hi Anna,
You would find more to it than that to be honest, like links to images/plugins/links still having the old address as wordpress stores these in the database as a full site url instead of local ones, however, I just found this on my travels that might help the member
https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/
I have not read the contents of the post nor tried it myself but its an option thats free.
As always make a backup of the database before doing anything & keep it in a safe place.

Regards

lawncliff

Reaction score
It's actually rather simple.
1. Go into your wordpress admin interface and edit the WordPress Address (URL) AND site URL to reflect what you want it to become (cyfairnwoa.x10.mx). Backup your database first to ensure you can restore functionality if something goes wrong.
2. Move (or copy to be safe until confirmed it works) all files from public_html/wp to public_html replacing any files that are already there (This assumes you do not want anything about the old file to remain online). You have now moved your wordpress to load up from the url of your old site.

lawncliff

Reaction score
I am trying to follow these instructions. However, I cannot find the public_html/wp files. Where do I look for these files?
Thank you for your help!