IP Blacklists

consolev

Reaction score
What are the purposes of these? Can we have an opt-in system for users who have no forum software or commenting softwares?

It makes no sense that I can access my CP with my IP but cannot view my website. I use a VPN. I have no database storage, users cannot enter their own info to be saved anywhere on my server space. I understand that x10 servers will be blacklisted if the site hosts content which is associated with these IPs, but my site has absolutley no possibility of that.

If I'm not understanding the situation very well, I'd like to be informed better, so please feel free to put me right in this respect.

Thanks

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You seem to be forgetting that you have access to other people's sites on the server(s) as well, if only as an ordinary site user. So you don't allow comments or other user-generated content. So what? Most of the other sites on your server do.

consolev

Reaction score

So is there no way to make this an opt-in for those of us who dont? I think you're missing the point here. Am I simply dismissed because I'm not one of these users who do?

You seem to be forgetting that you have access to other people's sites on the server(s) as well, if only as an ordinary site user.

No I don't, not with this IP anyway. Its hard to understand that I can access my Control Panel with this IP, but not view the site in particular. Since most of the blacklisted content springs from forum software or commenting software, shouldn't the responsibility lie with that software to intercept spam or have ways to verify the content being submitted?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. The purpose of our server-side blacklists is to prevent known spamming IP addresses from accessing websites on our free hosting service. All IP addresses on the blacklist are based on previous, recent events from that particular IP address, sourced from reputable lists such as StopForumSpam, as well as several others. Due to the high amount of abuse that websites on our service receive, blocking these addresses has decreased the number of web-based attacks to our customers' websites. These lists are only used to block access to websites and not the control panel, because the addresses on the list are known for web-based attacks, and blocking access to the entire sever is unnecessary. Due to the way these blocks are structured, it is currently impossible for us to offer an option to disable these blocks.

It is fairly rare for real people to be hit by these blocks though, since it is highly unlikely for a normal user and a spamming user to share the same IP address. However, the only exception here might be those who use a proxy or VPN, since a large number of users share the same IP address. You will be able to access your site fine without a VPN.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.