Why Macs are the Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

winlux

Reaction score
apart from things in that article I have read others with people complaining about the machines overheating a lot

alcramer

Reaction score
Having grown up on Unix systems, I was really happy a few years ago when I had to port a big complex end-user app written in C++ from Windows to Mac, and discovered that the (then new) Max OsX was a Unix derivative (just like Linux). Because I'd built the app using Model-View-Controller, I only had to rewrite about 10% of the code and I got to use all the nice GNU tools instead of MicroSoft's VC++.

But something I've noticed is: when there's a bug in the code that's common to both platforms -- which account for 90% of the app -- I always wind up debugging on the Windows platform. The GUI in VC++ is REALLY nice: try debugging the same code under GNU and VC++ and you'll see what I mean. I hate to say it, because I basically loathe Windows, but the debugging part of its IDE really rocks compared to GNU.

port5900

Reaction score
get a Mac there so shine...then when you get a bored about 1 week later, you will for get about that "They have more viruses too" comment. Macs are good if your going to be strictly designing and reading email. At my Old designing Job I had a Mac wit a PC right next to it. Play my WinAmp Down load my Music Mess with crappy Freeware learn IP and Networking stuff bla bla bla. But hey Its your money -=)

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Macs are the best because of a couple of their operating system is something very very unique about.

1. When I talk about uniqueness of the operating system it means how their product life of each operating system works. Example of it is their evolution and revolution.... this is very unique and tells a large number of stories when virus first happened in Macs, will not be run a revolution version of Macs Operating system this is because they cut away their legacy of their Old OS X code from the previous version hence making it very difficult for virus creator to create a new virus for it hence they give up... that's why there is not many virus can attack or penetrate into Macs computer unless they run a dual boot which has windows os.... only the windows os will have the virus...

2. Because of this evolution and revolution it makes software for Macs very very expensive, the amount of application and software is very limited hence another issues is boredom after long usage of macs.... hence many people will do a dual boot setting so that they can have windows xp or windows vista into their system....

3. Macs are the best for their video and gaming rendering , video editing capabilities, which has been spread so much that most of the animation movies you see are mostly made from Macs computers... They are the Video/Animator Editior Best friend.

There are several others to talk about but these three really amazed me alot.

Mekryd

Reaction score
Gaming? Macs don't do gaming without a windows OS...

I find it funny how Apple can get away with what people hated Microsoft for doing: removing reverse compatibility. Microsoft does it, and people complain about having to upgrade. Apple does it, and people praise them for a good decision.

port5900

Reaction score
@stealth_thunder

that's why there is not many virus can attack or penetrate into Macs computer unless they run a dual boot which has windows os.... only the windows os will have the virus...
Dude are you pulling this stuff up out the air? No one writes Mac viruses not cause there hard to make but cause no one cares too. Why write a Virus for 10% of the worlds computers? Its as simple as that. No one duel boots OSX and Windows(yea you can but its pointless)

Because of this evolution and revolution it makes software for Macs very very expensive, the amount of application and software is very limited hence another issues is boredom after long usage of macs
No there software is not expensive there hardware is, most of there product cost is under 60% of retail. iPods are the biggest rip off ever $90 to build the $200 Nano. Mac Hardware cost so much cause they can do that. Readhere:http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/23/your-200-ipod-nano-costs-about-90-to-make/

Macs are the best for their video and gaming rendering , video editing capabilities, which has been spread so much that most of the animation movies you see are mostly made from Macs computers
Game rendering? Very wrong, I'm not even going to go there. "video editing capabilities" Yea Macs are good at that. But the movie studios use Linux Specs here:
http://www.linuxmovies.org/
"Most of the major studios use Linux -- such as DreamWorks and Pixar"
Pixar's Specs:
more than 1,500 Linux desktops and 3,500 Linux servers

Desktop Hardware
HP xw8200's
dual 3.4 GHz Intel Nocona CPUs
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400/4400/4500

RenderFarm Hardware
dual 3.4 GHz Intel Nocona CPU's
Operating System
Fedora Core 2

Yes thats Right Pixar uses HP computers!
Now Linux fanboys cause Pixar uses Linux dont mean its the best for home users. I <3 Linux just not on my desktop -=)
Please do some fact checking before posting!

winlux

Reaction score
"Most of the major studios use Linux -- such as DreamWorks and Pixar"

I'm sure that for a lot of the actual animation etc they use Silicone Graphics Machines. Even loving linux myself, rendering on one of those just beats the socks off everything else. Wouldn't mind getting one someday.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Gaming? Macs don't do gaming without a windows OS...

Linux, and even BSDs do some level of gaming. Some commercial games and almost all open source are available on all operating systems.

About video rendering: I don't see how Macs are superior any more. Sure, when they were affordable PowerPC machines they would have probably been superior. Now, they just have generic x86 hardware that can be obtained much cheaper.

For desktops and servers I will use linux. I could see Macs being viable as laptops. They have all of the drivers for the exotic laptop hardware on a good Unix-like OS, which is normally something you can only get with Windows. When using Linux on a laptop, you may be screwed for some drivers.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I've got to agree with you there... I fail to understand how macs can be considered better for graphics editing, rendering, etc... Most of the same software is available for both platforms, and now the hardware is the same as well. Blender runs about the same on both, although the excessively animated OSX desktop seems to slow things down a bit.

port5900

Reaction score
@winlux
Come on man you cant bring a SGI Machine into this conversation. Thats like comparing God to a human. I would kill(no i wont) for a SGI. You my friend know good stuff -=)

@HomerJ
Very good points.

HomerJ

Reaction score
@winlux
Come on man you cant bring a SGI Machine into this conversation. Thats like comparing God to a human. I would kill(no i wont) for a SGI. You my friend know good stuff -=)

@HomerJ
Very good points.

Yeah, the truth is that the things best-suited to specialized applications (graphics, servers, etc) are not available to you or I.

For graphics, Macs and standard x86 PCs are pretty much equivalent. Some PCs will be better than some Macs, some Macs will be better than some PCs. The ones that will be better are simply the most recent ones, regardless of whether they are Apple or not. Obviously, high-end SGIs are the best, but chances are no one here can afford one.

For servers, non-Macs are probably a little better, since they generally have more memory and can take more modification (adding more hard drives, memory, other upgrades). However, a high-end SPARC machine is probably best-suited to this. Good luck buying one, they can cost more than most people earn in their whole lifetime. If you're gonna go for a cheap SPARC, don't. Just build your own PC far cheaper and better. For a low-end server, non-Apple x86s are probably best, seeing as they are the most cost-effective while still allowing for some real power.

Macs and PCs are just cheap, low-end hardware when compared to what's out there. However, they both use the same hardware now, and non-Mac PCs are much cheaper and more upgradeable. So, I would go for a PC.

winlux

Reaction score
@winlux

Well let's face it, movie studios have big bucks, so me and you having an sgi is impossible (not really but almost) that's why we have linux. They have more money, they get better toys. simple as that, although without joking if I was in a company like that and have the budget, there will have to be more reason for me to use linux than it's cheaper and free and, and. I still stick with the fact that I think they use sgi.

@homerJ
I agree on the SPARC, they are well suited, I think RISK processors would be alright as well if they still make them (haven't been looking at cpu's for ages.) But a cheaper alternative to an extent is the XEON processors, they are pretty good as well for this type of applications.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
Well let's face it, movie studios have big bucks, so me and you having an sgi is impossible (not really but almost) that's why we have linux. They have more money, they get better toys. simple as that, although without joking if I was in a company like that and have the budget, there will have to be more reason for me to use linux than it's cheaper and free and, and. I still stick with the fact that I think they use sgi.

@homerJ
I agree on the SPARC, they are well suited, I think RISK processors would be alright as well if they still make them (haven't been looking at cpu's for ages.) But a cheaper alternative to an extent is the XEON processors, they are pretty good as well for this type of applications.

Yeah, generally RISC processors (like MIPS, SPARC, PA-RISC) are targeted at high-end applications, CISC (like x86) are usually cheaper. If you look at past desktop architectures, they were almost all CISC: VAX, m68k, x86. While high-end computers, like SPARC, MIPS, or high-efficiency like ARM are all RISC. I think it has something to do with CISC being cheaper, but RISC scaling better, but I am no expert.

But RISC isn't a specific architecture, it stands for reduced instruction set computer. They have simpler instructions, that perform less work instead of lots of larger ones doing more work. SPARC, MIPS, ARM, and x86 are examples of architectures.

Intel Xeons and AMD Opterons are nice for middle-range machines. Xeons are also beyond the price range of most normal consumers, Opterons are more affordable.

SrSarah

Reaction score
I have both PC and Mac. The virus issue is a very real one. The amount of effort or $ spent dealing with virus/hacker threats for a PC annoys me. I've yet to have a serious problem with the Mac. I'm also can't think of a time that my Mac did the equivalent of the blue-screen bomb.

port5900

Reaction score
@SrSarah what version of windows are you running?
and here are some tip for avoiding viruses:
Stop downloading things you don't know about.
Stop going to the "Free Wallpaper" "Free iPod" web sites
Use AVG anti Virus not Nortons and install Adaware.
Windows does not sit there and catch viruses, its the user who lets them in.

Sohail

Reaction score
Yeah but Macs hardly have any viruses i've survived on my Mac for 5 years wothout any anti virus programs or anything!!

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I agree. Getting a Trojan on a Mac is way less of a possibility than Windows getting a virus.
I like their new iMac. Maybe I'll get one someday...
:)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I love Mac's. They are faster, and they look cool.
They cost too much :(

winlux

Reaction score
The thing is that if you do not run anti virus you wont know if you have it or not! But there are still root kits etc. One thing that is a problem is linux mail servers. You may not get a virus as such but you may very well send out tons of viruses with your e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.