Windows XP vs Windows Vista

allinone

Reaction score
My opinion is that winXp is more featured and easy, fast , compatible in comparison with vista,
although some new features are available in vista but still xp is fast and leading the race, what u think guys,,,

i m strong appreciator of winxp.....

winlux

Reaction score
I agree winxp is very good compared to vista, but when it first came out it was worse than win 2000, maybe vista will become better with time. The only thing is that xp may not be supported all that much longer forcing people to either use only vista. This in turn may once again lead to people exploring alternatives.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Vista, mainly because it's new and it seems to be a smarter operating system. Heck, it at least knows what happens when a program crashes, and one time when a game wouldn't run, instead of spending a half hour on Google, I sent an error report and it came back with the solution, install a DirectX 9 library. I installed it, and it worked! Also for Windows/Microsoft Update, no need to even touch Internet Explorer. Widgets are nice and very useful, Aero is nice, DX10 is nice, and so is Windows Movie Maker 6 (HD 16:9 video anyone?).

Last edited:

tittat

Reaction score
iam still using winXp .I have no enough system resource to upgrade to vista.You may feel vista as so slow if you have no enough RAM.A minimum of 512 mb is required for the smooth working of vista,i think.

hooligan2oo8

Reaction score
windows xp is million times better than vista, vista has user controll and screwes everything up, you always have to have permission to do something with your comoputer its rediclus they have said that all windows genuine computers are all going to be automatically updated to windows vista because of the increase in people hacking with dos on windows xp! i think it is really stupid!

What do you think??

madshell

Reaction score
I think Microsoft got a nasty surprise with vista. The thing is that ppl are using lite laptops instead of desktops now a days. Vista is such a system hog and really requires a lot of memory to run properly.
The idea of vista was good to begin with. Making an OS from scratch was a good idea it just didn't work out and had to base some of the system on windows server 2003. This means that there is code in there thats over 15 years old.
I'm sticking to XP. I have a partition with vista on it but i never use it. Made the partition because i wanted to run games in dx10, but i don't get the same performance from my system as i do with XP
I really hope they change their minds and keep XP on the shelves after 2009, although they're saying they wont

MasterMax1313

Reaction score
Vista's user control doesn't have to stay active (you can turn it off, though if you've less experienced users using the computer, I wouldn't recommend it). Though Vista does require some serious system resources, most computers come with more than enough ram to support it, plus ram upgrades are very very cheap (i put 2 gigs of ddr2 into my laptop for $80). I get 3+ hours of battery time with my laptop running vista home premium, and i love it. admittedly there are things that you have to get used to, but the same was true of xp, and xp sp2.

I completely agree with the stability argument above. I've had some program crash, as will happen on computers, but instead of it being catastrophic, vista recovers beautifully, which is more than i can say for xp (especially when and if explorer crashes, where xp would hobble along to the next reboot, vista shrugs it off like nothing happened). I've tried running the UAW trial, which causes my video drivers to crash, and they completely recover without issue (the problem is probably more that I have intel integrated graphics than with vista).

All in all, I think that vista is the better OS. Other PC software and hardware manufacturers are more to blame than MS for performance issues, since problems typically involve driver issues that the manufacturers still haven't worked out.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Even with my high end system, I chose XP over Vista. Switching for DX10 and an ugly bloated interface is a downgrade.

Hopefully Vista users will get a free option to upgrade to modular Windows 7 when it comes out (assuming that it won't suck like Vista)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
When I first built my gaming computer, I did have both of my video cards lock up for a minute a few times, but Vista managed to be able to get the cards back in working order. At the time, there was a bug in the nVidia driver that caused it to lock up, but Vista always figured out what to do, and while my computer may have seemed frozen, it always came back a minute later saying that Vista has detected that my video card has stopped responding and that it has successfully gotten them working again. Ever since a few driver updates ago, I've never had my cards lock up again.

Last edited:

theterminator

Reaction score
Windows Vista, It's pretty, runs well on my computer. The only reason people are lagging hard on Vista is cause they're using laptops and laptop memory isn't the same as desktop. Also Vista is constantly using the hard drive. I cant run Vista on my laptop thought and it came with Vista, not me that installed it. When I say I can't run it I mean I can't do normal things like PhotoShop, Gaming, etc. and it has 1GB of RAM.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I prefer Windows XP, Vista looks nice but you can easily customise XP's style. Also I think XP is more stable than Vista. I'm sure Vista will improve, but until it does I'll stick with XP.

EDIT:
Even if I wanted to I could not have Vista on my laptop, I just don't have enough resources.

Last edited:

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Well if considering you guys update your windows vista to service pack 1 then I do not really see the problem to most software except drivers may be an issues as some hardware drivers are old and the new service pack 1 does not really help much in rebuilding your hardware driver properly... So far so good I guess.

I think if we give a little grace to windows vista, it might just be able to work out though Microsoft really have to work extremely hard to for their upcoming Windows 7.0 ( Codename no idea yet ) and name still unknown....

Pills1221

Reaction score
Windows Vista, It's pretty, runs well on my computer. The only reason people are lagging hard on Vista is cause they're using laptops and laptop memory isn't the same as desktop. Also Vista is constantly using the hard drive. I cant run Vista on my laptop thought and it came with Vista, not me that installed it. When I say I can't run it I mean I can't do normal things like PhotoShop, Gaming, etc. and it has 1GB of RAM.

i like vista better than XP. a lot of people say XP is better. but i like vista. and as for your gaming and photoshop thing, my friend can run games on his laptop. they have no lag whatsoever. same with photoshop.

scottnj

Reaction score
I haven't really been able to fully test vista, but I still find XP to be better than it. Plus I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on Vista.

Pi606

Reaction score
Vista's cool, usually better to run it on a desktop than laptop, though. I'm still using XP.

eliasr

Reaction score
xp!!

I dont care much about the style [visual] and if is look nice. Now XP is a heavy OS [security, performance, stability] with support for all the software that i need.

Rufio1

Reaction score
Vista is flashy and showy, but when it comes down to reliability, XP takes the cake. The only reason I would ever switch to Vista is the GUI, which I think XP SP3 has...

Tom743

Reaction score
Xp feels better to use, but vista looks better. Microsoft know Vista is a fail and are now working on windows 7 (finished in 2009/2010) :)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Windows Vista looks more modern, Vista is not a fail despite what anything thinks. It is not a RAM hog, it uses a smarter new technology called Windows Superfetch, which is a big improvement over XP's prefetch feature. Vista stores unused RAM in a cache, and when it is needed by a program, Vista gives it to that program.

Last edited: