Which is better hybernation or shutdown.

tittat

Reaction score
I think that hibernating my pc is better than shutting down(in many cases).Because when pc is in hibernation mode we can resume exactly from where we stop and more over its much much faster.

But i found many people don't do hibernating their pc.Why?
Is there any bad effects on hibernating my pc?

Your suggestions welcome.
thanks.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
That depends, how long will you be leaving it turned off before using it again?

Do delays bother you while waiting for your computer to turn back on?
The hardware itself is pretty reliable about being cycled on and off, so what's better really depends on how you use your computer.
I usually turn my screens off and leave my computers running because I'm usually in a hurry to get the computer running when I want to use it :)

LHVWB

Reaction score
I would do the same, Turn off the screens but then leave the computer on. However if you do leave the computer for a while then its probably best to turn it off. It also depends on how fast your computers load, if you have a slow computer then it will probably take ages to startup, so hibernation is the way to go.

tittat

Reaction score
Now my question is that,Is there any bad effects on hibernating the pc?
i mean the life of pc.I read somewhere about it.I am not sure where it is and what it is....

Sohail

Reaction score
I don't think hibernating decreases the life of your PC at all as it just restores what you were last doing at start up. I would say it's safe to keep it on hibernate.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I use hibernate on a daily basis, which is why my PC says it's been 'up' for weeks... Except the odd restart from updates!

I actually use Vista's Hybrid Sleep... It stores the contents of memory to disk, then puts the PC in Standby, so if the mains electricity is kept on it resumes near enough instantly, but if I turn the UPS off, killing the power for the PC, it's perfectly OK, and just resumes from hibernate.

Would be ideal on my laptop, but for some reason it's not supported! Better than when I tried with (k)ubuntu, though... That just fails miserably.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

I've read somewhere that it's better for hardware (particularly your mother board and hard disks) to leave a PC running all the time. I leave this one running because I use it as an FTP server and run Apache / PHP / MySQL for school projects.

It's just easier to leave it on than to start it up when I think I'll need it.
-Luke.

kkenny

Reaction score
If I could hibernate in this version of Linux. I would instead of shutting down. I regret the way im abusing my computer by not turning it off every night. I'm just too darn lazy to start it up again haha.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hibernation is really only the best thing to use when laptop batteries get extremely low and the system has to shut off somehow. Otherwise, shutdown would be the best to use. But again, it's better to leave the computer on 24/7. I keep all of mine on and attached to the network 24/7.

jswim

Reaction score
It depends... typically systems are a bit more stable after a full reload, but they come up faster out of hibernation. With Windows Xp and above i typically use hybernation though...

Negibozu

Reaction score
I'd have to say they both have their uses. Hibernation is good most of the time because it starts up quicker, but shutting your computer down once every few days will keep it from starting to slow up.

1erik1

Reaction score
is hybernation also just when like you leave it for a while and when you comeback the screen is black?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
No. You're either thinking of Standby/Sleep or Video in Sleep/Suspend. Hibernation is where the system loads the content in the RAM into the hard drive then shuts off completely. When you turn it back on, the system will load the content back into memory the way it was and let you use the system as if you never shut if off.

pokerhaji

Reaction score
hyberantion causes unwanted situation to ur pc....hybernation for a long time causes operating system crash...and need to restore the settings...so make the system turned OFF...or always ON...thats better

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
hyberantion causes unwanted situation to ur pc....hybernation for a long time causes operating system crash...and need to restore the settings...so make the system turned OFF...or always ON...thats better

To challenge that I unhooked the 160gb hd out of this pc, which has a hibernated copy of xp on it, and put it back in the original pc it came from.

Keep in mind that hybernated copy of XP has not been used in two months, while the other partitions on the drive have been formatted, shrunk, expanded, erased, recreated, and filled to capacity.

Only problem was XFire said it lost the network connection.

You got any evidence to back up that it causes an "unwanted situation," more specifically one that's actually a genuine problem? Obviously programs trying to do internet updates or anything regarding the network will come back with a problem, but thats normal and any halfway decent program knows to recover from it properly (XFire, in this case, went on standby for a minute then reconnected).

Claiming that hybernating for a long time is going to cause an OS crash is, as far as I can see, not 100% true. I wouldn't doubt its possible, but the circumstances are obviously making a difference.

One final note: that 160gb hd has actually now moved through three pc's - its original, the Black/Orange box (halfway painted), and Bumblebee (black case, yellow front panel). Stayed hybernated in all 3, other partitions got modified in the latter 2, and I know I had a virus scanner running daily on the hybernated partition. If it was going to fail, I'm betting it would have by then.

As for which I prefer? Always on with a reboot every once in a while. Hybernation's nice but with pretty much everything I run, it's not something worth hybernating in - it's easier to just save it and shut down, then boot back up and reload it.

Last edited: