Bug in Notepad

neverlate2day

Reaction score
Notepad has a pretty interesting bug in it.

create a new file type "bush hid the facts" or "this app can break" save the file, close it.
Then re-open the file u will get garbled text.

If u found this interesting please add to my reputation

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This didn't work for me. Though I could be doing it wrong as your explination was a little brief. Must the filename be either "bush hid the facts" or "this app can break", or must the contents of the file be those ?
Should it be saved with an extension or not ?

tittat

Reaction score
Hello neverlate2day ,i cant reproduce that bug.
How the file need to be saved .txt or All files?( i tried both)...

hopper

Reaction score
i wish i could try that myself
first of all if that does work it woudnt be a bug it would be an easter egg
and second of all you need to provde more details

neverlate2day

Reaction score
bush hid the facts is an error now fixed in vista it works in 2000 and xp only. for that matter its not just "bush hid the facts" any sequence of words of length 4,3,3,5 will produce the same results, for example"aaaa aaa aaa aaaaa"

Last edited:

websoul

Reaction score
i dont think it will work for aaaa aaa aaa aaaaa. its not only sequenct. Its also related to the acsii value i=fo the charateer. But ya. it will work for bush ...i dont know about vista

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont think it will work for aaaa aaa aaa aaaaa. its not only sequenct. Its also related to the acsii value i=fo the charateer. But ya. it will work for bush ...i dont know about vista

Just tested aaaa aaa aaa aaaaa on XP SP2 Pro, ascii-blox came up after saving (garbled text in other words). It'll work as long as it's 4-3-3-5 and you're on 2000/xp.

neverlate2day

Reaction score
Its also related to the acsii value i=fo the charateer. But ya. it will work for bush ...i dont know about vista
I didn't get what u meant but a proper explaination is available at http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/24/95235.aspx

This didn't work for me. Though I could be doing it wrong as your explination was a little brief. Must the filename be either "bush hid the facts" or "this app can break", or must the contents of the file be those ?
Should it be saved with an extension or not ?

The filename can be anything
Save it as .txt
The content should be "Bush hid the facts"
I hopr its clear now

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have Vista, so it's fixed for me. I'll try it on my Windows 2000 machines, as they probably fixed the bug in Notepad on XP SP3.