9000+ websites down due to explosion at H1 data center

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
Just so people wont be wondering why a lot of major websites are down. Information is below,

Here is the official email that was sent to ThePlanet clients

"Dear Valued Customers,

In the interest of keeping you updated, tonight at 5:45 p.m. here in Houston, a transformer in our H1 data in Houston caught fire, which required us to take down all generators as instructed by the fire department. All servers in the H1 data center are down, as is our ServerCommand customer portal, which are working to move to another data center.

None of our other data centers are affected.

Our management team and facilities staff are on site evaluating the situation. In our latest assessment, we have determined that networking gear has not been damaged, but we are without power so assessments continue. All disaster recovery systems are in motion, and we have teams already working in the data center.

We are posting messages in our forum, in Orbit and on our customer support phone system.

We appreciate your patience. We are working around the clock to resolve these critical issues."

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Wow,

I'd sure hate to have to sort all this out. I wonder if they know exactly what caused their transformer to burst into flames...

They're flipping lucky if none of their servers and/or networking gear was damaged. Ah well, I suppose that's what their staff are paid for.

-Luke.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
thought so... Youtube is down, as soon as i installed flash player for safari pretty much, ohwell - do you know when it is fixed?

Edit:
Don't worry its up

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
This goes to show you, that you can run a great service - but sometiimes, there are just things that happen that are out of your control.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
This goes to show you, that you can run a great service - but sometiimes, there are just things that happen that are out of your control.

A bit like the MySQL issues you guys had not too long ago, which contributed to the server restructure effort (which paid off, by the way). And the issue with hard drives that seem to die the minute you put them in the servers lol.

Back on topic, I wonder how much the damage will cost to put right. I wouldn't imagine it'd be a small amount....

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Back on topic, I wonder how much the damage will cost to put right. I wouldn't imagine it'd be a small amount....

It would depend on how much it costs to re-build 3 walls and replace a transformer. But, it could have been a lot worse, at least no-one was injured.

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
yah, it sux so much, made it onto slash dot, lol:

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/06/01/1715247.shtml

just started free ts hosting and this happens.

btw its 9,000+ servers down, expected to be thousands more websites.

edit: not only is their forum not working, but now their entire site is down, cant even get into orbit (control panel) site is being looked at by the entire world lol

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
When I first read the title, I thought it would be something to do with x10 and was like "Oh no!!!" Then I realized this was at somewhere else. *whew* Currently 1062 people viewing the thread.
So you think that Youtube was down last night?

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
When I first read the title, I thought it would be something to do with x10 and was like "Oh no!!!" Then I realized this was at somewhere else. *whew* Currently 1062 people viewing the thread.

x10 was at one point hosted on the planet, lol. But now their on softlayer.

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
Sites are loading like they are on Dialup.. probably cause of re-routing.. the DNS I am on helps things, cause their are no stale DNS queries, so as soon as the nameservers of websites are changed, they are immediately propagated to the DNS that I am on :)

alcramer

Reaction score
Great posting -- thanks! I've been wondering why performance was so bad on a lot of sites. I hope others in the x10 community will share stuff like this. I've an omninous feeling some funky things are going to start happening on the Net, fairly soon, and posts like this help us separate fact from fiction.

Al

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
Great posting -- thanks! I've been wondering why performance was so bad on a lot of sites. I hope others in the x10 community will share stuff like this. I've an omninous feeling some funky things are going to start happening on the Net, fairly soon, and posts like this help us separate fact from fiction.

Al

Yeah, its no problem. I posted this as well on several message boards too.

I dont like ThePlanet all too much, they have very snobby support lol.