[Game Programming] Highlander

T

themasterrocker

Hi Guys,

If ever i am offline on msn (Which i will be at school probs or out) and you have something for the site that needs going up. Send me it over e-mail and ill upload it when i next go on because i am forever keeping my reading my e-mail when i get any or you can patch them through other people like Leafypiggy who i talk alot with for him to pass on to me of FTP up but then i would have to move it :p ...

Thanks
=========================================================
Themasterrocker

konekt

Reaction score
KoneKT, there may be some java parts of the game, but i am thinking more C++, DirectX sort of stuff, 3D MMORPG similar to WoW style of graphics etc.

It will be a VERY big project, so i don't expect anyone to stay here, but i do recommend if you want to leave, do it now...For some of us, including me, this will be a big learning experience. Learning new programming languages, new style of graphics art and work etc..

It will probably be quite a while until we have a playable part of the game, we will need to come up with all the idea first, and get our positions set OUT RIGHT.

Allow me to serve my part as the programmer by keeping us acting logically ;).

Designing a game is fun and all, especially when you're doing the concepts, story and graphics; it gets, however, extremely complicated when you start to delve into the circuitry of the game.

Knowing a language is 10% of being able to program. How many of the people who plan to code understand the concepts behind linear algebra and R^(n) space vector transformations? How many have had experience coding real-time database parsers that do not run at O(n) or any other big-Oh time that is really a logistical nightmare?

I'll be more then happy to help you guys out with my experience, and I feel the best place to start is to give you guys an honest grasp on what you're actually attempting. I was a little worried when you said ' there may be some java parts of the game' because this tells me you may not even have the most basic understanding of programming down (implied by the fact that you want to 'throw in' different APIs into languages that don't support it), which makes me question if you've actually considered what you're trying.

I'm not trying to be rude, nor elitist, but rather, as said, give you guys a glimpse of the actual complexity behind coding a game of this level. It might be a MUCH better idea to consider making a Highlander mod for one of the pre-built engines out there.

BBC recently had an article about how even close to 95% of the game-programming courses offered by varied universities are proven insufficient in terms of the knowledge they give for entering the industry. Game Programing is one of the most complex jobs in the industry, and it requires more then many seem to think.

With that said, I will gladly help out with the programming angle, though doubt I will be doing any actual coding. I have my own studies and projects to keep me busy.

Last edited:

marshian

Reaction score
He had mentionned before he doesn't have actual programming experience, but he also said he was willing to learn it, so forgive him his noobie mistake.
Personnally, I know Java, and since we already decided to use C++ I'm going to start learn that. Beleive me I'm not an idiot in the domain of mathematics, I had 8 hours of maths/week this year, and an average of 80-100% (without actual studying).
But of course, I have my own studies and projects too, so I might not be the most active member either.

I have no experience with 3D programming, but I suppose it would be best to use an already existing open-source 3D-engine, instead of writing one from the scratch, which would make the actual programming a lot easier.

T

themasterrocker

Yeah, Marshian I doubt you will be the most active person, like I won't be probably because we have studies and uni/college/school to go to where as some members of the team might not. I mean yeah my job seems easy well, my dad just got some web creating software in the post (for free with other things on a disk because he has computer magazines that give out free software) and I gladly took the disk off him and ran upstairs ... he doesn't know where it is now XD cuz I've got it in my room but might lead me to being able to create the website "offline" and preview it i haven't installed it yet. I'm just going to do that, but it would make my life easier if i can use that and make "snazzy" webpages.
"snazzy" = pretty good.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for that KoneKT, because i will be honest, even though i have slight knowledge in some languages when it comes to creating a game in any of them, i honestly have no idea, so even for me, this is really a project that is a matter of learning, which is why i was thinking that if we get a team together, we could start with coding a browser based game or something, and start learning the basics as a team, and then delve into deeper programming eventually, with our major project goal as Highlander Online.

So it's also a matter of who wants to start with more basic games as a team, and then work our way up. Because i would be more than happy to do that, it would give the lesser experienced people like me a better chance at grasping all the concepts.

So what do you say? We start of small and work our way to our goal of Highlander Online? Maybe something Java based, runescape style with a bit more 'style'?

T

themasterrocker

I'm up for it although I don't know when im going back to school from my illness lol... It won't go which is gd in some respects and bad in another lol.
So what sort of games do you want to think about of starting as a "simple" form game? and does that mean we need to put another link onto the webpage if so i'll need a chat with leafypiggy since he converted the page to PHP.

konekt

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for that KoneKT, because i will be honest, even though i have slight knowledge in some languages when it comes to creating a game in any of them, i honestly have no idea, so even for me, this is really a project that is a matter of learning, which is why i was thinking that if we get a team together, we could start with coding a browser based game or something, and start learning the basics as a team, and then delve into deeper programming eventually, with our major project goal as Highlander Online.

So it's also a matter of who wants to start with more basic games as a team, and then work our way up. Because i would be more than happy to do that, it would give the lesser experienced people like me a better chance at grasping all the concepts.

So what do you say? We start of small and work our way to our goal of Highlander Online? Maybe something Java based, runescape style with a bit more 'style'?
Starting small is a great idea. Actionscript for Flash is a very solid first step in programming (but, just to emphasize a first step, think of it like a tricycle compared to C++ which is an F-14) because it takes away so much of the clout (wrapping variables, classes, etc...) while giving you a nice run down of the basics (functions, use of variables, etc...). It's also used in almost every Flash game out there so you've seen it before.

The recommended first step in programming, however, is often Java. If you decide to take this route be prepared to do a lot of programing unrelated to gaming to understand the language. It is, in the end, a better option to start with because it introduces you to Object-Oriented Design and programming.

In terms of Math., Calculus is an important thing to know for the physics part of the game and later A.I. Linear Algebra also becomes important in determining collisions, set comparisons, and a lot of other things. For the latter you can go here: http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/ . That is a great alternative to some of the $150 + college textbooks. You can also choose to ignore this route for a long time since the early steps can all be done with +-*/.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
and pre and post increments. :D

lawl

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I am currently working on my own browser-based rpg. I haven't had any kind of education related to computing, so I'm doing it entirely in PHP (and HTML of course...).
I'd say that most of what I have done up to now was easier than I thought it would, but it's still a challenge to code a game if you don't know every single aspect of it in advance. Since I'm doing it rather for fun, I don't really mind having to set my mind about a particular formula on the spot, but starting an MMORPG from scratch if none of you has any closely-related experience wouldn't be something I'd recommend either.

The idea of starting with a browser-based game seems very clever to me. First, because it will teach you some logical aspects of creating a game as mentioned by previous posters. Also because it will help you make your team stronger. I'm pretty sure that although most of you probably know you're getting into something awfully big, a lot will still be confronted to bigger challenges than they thought and leave the team in the first stages. Starting small will give you a chance to really see what every person is capable of and who is truly interested (and available!) in the long run.

As I am personally limited to PHP and don't even know the story behind Highlander, I am not offering my help for this game, but I think I will try to remember to keep an eye on your progress, because it certainly is a thrilling and interesting experience (who wants to make a reality show out of it? :biggrin: ).

As a last note, I would ask : I hope you are prepared for the copyright problems?

Best of luck to all!

T

themasterrocker

yeah we know about the copyright problems (well me and hellsheep do) but thats not really the problem when we are going to start small and build our way up. we will cross the bridge of copyright when we need to. Thanks for trying to help us out :p and good luck with your browser.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
copyright isnt a problem. We just give credit to EMI films, and Davis Pawnzer Productions. Do an IMDB of Highlander

T

themasterrocker

copyright isnt a problem. We just give credit to EMI films, and Davis Pawnzer Productions. Do an IMDB of Highlander
Or we can get contact the creators =p I think that was Hellsheep's idea =p

Last edited by a moderator:

marshian

Reaction score
Or we can get contact the creators =p I think that was Hellsheep's idea =p

I like that idea... They have earned cash from the movie, maybe they would want to sponsor our game for a certain part of the profit?

NOTE:
yes I am :nuts:, no need to tell me... there's nothing I can do about it :biggrin:

T

themasterrocker

Lol, yeah summat like that.... I mean im watching TV atm and i've just updated the site although im having a slight problem with yshout =/

malcomhfcmad1875

Reaction score
count me in dude. i just started learning c# and i can advertise it for u :)
Edit:
i also now html not that great with php

Last edited:
T

themasterrocker

Okay, you will be added to the list. also i need you to PM me with your e-mail address for the website (thats half done at this present time)

woiwky

Reaction score
I like that idea... They have earned cash from the movie, maybe they would want to sponsor our game for a certain part of the profit?

NOTE:
yes I am :nuts:, no need to tell me... there's nothing I can do about it :biggrin:

You're crazy :p

Really though, you guys could just *base* the game on Highlander and not reference it in any way. Then you're not infringing on any copyrights ;-)

marshian

Reaction score
You're crazy :p

Really though, you guys could just *base* the game on Highlander and not reference it in any way. Then you're not infringing on any copyrights ;-)

No, everybody would notice it's based on the movie Highlander, but if you don't even mention them, they will think you want all credits to yourself. And that's where the problems begin...
In my opinion it's best to contact the guys that have copyright on Highlander, and if they wouldn't let us make our game we can always try to find a maze in the law. (Like GNU always does ;))

icedevil

Reaction score
Lol, its not like we're going to say that we came up with the story, the movie... I think the only thing that we should mention is that it is based on the movie highlander(their storyline) and that the game is OURS!!!!!

Well, at least that's what i have to do in the graphics department :p (just mention that the character is from a movie highlander).

Now you guys all know that it takes sooo much freaking time to do 3D model, right? (it took 4 years for Bethesda softworks to make TES IV, Oblivion, and they had 1000 3d artists :) ) SO DONT WORRY, learn your languages, maybe by the time I'll finish, you'll be working for microsoft by then :)
Couldnt hurt to get some other 3d animators in here, cuz its pretty lonely at my department :S...

Ok guys, I'm going on my trip, send mail, but know that i'll be able to reply in 3 weeks :)

Last edited: