Windows VS. Mac

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. It depends on your budget and what you need it for. At school, I liked Macs because they were great for video, audio and image editing, and they typically don't lock up and crash as often as PCs. But they definitely have their downsides, like not supporting most applications and games. They also cost a whole lot more.

Although the reason they dont lock up or crash as much as PCs is because programs/drivers havent been installed that make the system crash. If you had a fresh install of windows, and just installed the things you could on a Mac (Like Adobe programs, Office) and none of the stuff you couldnt (like drivers for half the stuff you use) then the PCs wouldnt crash or lock up.

Although I must admit they are good at video editing, but any better then a PC running Premier Pro?

Alex

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Although the reason they dont lock up or crash as much as PCs is because programs/drivers havent been installed that make the system crash. If you had a fresh install of windows, and just installed the things you could on a Mac (Like Adobe programs, Office) and none of the stuff you couldnt (like drivers for half the stuff you use) then the PCs wouldnt crash or lock up.
It doesn't matter what you've got installed, but what you've got running. A crash while using Paint is a crash while using Paint; It doesn't matter if I've got Photoshop installed because that would have nothing to do with a Paint crash unless it was running, and also modifying parts of the memory that don't belong to it, which it should NEVER be doing. That would mean it's either a bug in the software or it's some type of malware, which Photoshop isn't.

Your definition of PC is quite wrong. A home computer running Mac OS X is indeed a personal computer. Advertisements do not always tell the truth so you shouldn't accept what they say as truth. They're trying to sell a product.

Last edited:

tvphoto

Reaction score
Mac is like easier to use when you like to design or produce music... etc.
But since I've used window for forever, I'd like to stick to window.!
It's so much easier for me to use *right click*.. lol :)

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Since Macs have the Mighty Mouse (a few years already), you can right click and middle click from stock.

MacOS being better for graphics and media is a myth. All the professional software runs on both OSes, and actually runs faster on Windows, you can install XP on your Intel Mac and see ;-)

In fact, a PC should be a better machine for graphics :
You have better GPUs, if your app needs GPU rendering, something with an upgradeable card is better.
You can get a CPU when it's new, not wait 6-12 months to buy a new machine with it.
You have more choice of hardware and drivers are customized for it in Windows.

I don't want to see the 32GB RAM Mac Pro argument, if you look for a suitable motherboard, you can get an 8 core + 64 GB RAM PC.

Although the reason they dont lock up or crash as much as PCs is because programs/drivers havent been installed that make the system crash.

Windows is not called "PC", by the way. :biggrin:

These days, what makes a computer crash is crappy hardware usually. (See: Many prebuilt computers)

If you take the time to choose every parts when you build it, or get a good system built by a local computer shop, then applications will rarely crash, unless it's very poorly written, but I haven't seen this in a long while.

I've never seen a BSOD since I use RAM, PSUs and motherboards made by reputable companies. You don't end up with crashing drivers (there are heavy ones sometimes) and unstable hardware.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My Vista machine has never seen a BSOD either, and it was hand built by me as well. It's on 24/7 at full power too. My 11 year old laptop, however, that only has BSOD'd when one of the RAM slots went bad, but I fixed that by taking some of the RAM from the defect slot out. The next reason it'd BSOd would be if I opened up two instances of the Netgear wireless config utility, causes the driver to crash and the system to BSOD and reboot.

Sohail

Reaction score
Mac has a lot more features and the best part of it is that you can hardly ever find a virus for a Mac, i've been using a Mac for 5 years and it never got a virus, i didn't even need any anti-virus software...

DragonMaster

Reaction score
In fact, the only thing really different with MacOS is that it comes bundled with software out of the box, while Microsoft gets sued for every apps bundled with Windows (Internet Explorer, etc.)

The Apple advertising campaign is only true for persons who can't install something.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
There's really no point getting a Mac when Windows can do all the stuff that a Mac can, and more (HINT HINT GAMES :biggrin:)

freenetter

Reaction score
Mac's are great if you are a 60 year old who doesn't understand computers and just wants the computer to do what it has to do - however, their minimal software range (And ridiculously expensive prices) really don't provide much value for money.

Apple also seem to create a sort of utopian atmosphere for themselves; Macs don't get viruses, Macs are always stable, Macs are great value, Macs are sleek and sexy - sure, maybe the looks are cool, but under the hood they are nothing special - and their software isn't either. And to top it all off, the previously invincible Mac OS is now also becoming vulnerable to viruses, and virus protection, and vendors like Symantec are thinking of getting onto the Mac bandwagon to push their security software onto Macs.

bdog13

Reaction score
I personally use Windows XP myself (Vista = /fail), it's great for deep programmers, Gamers, etc.

Mac is good for 2 things. iTunes and graphics design.

Windows XP is good for countless things, Microsoft Applications, programming, gaming (Mac has hardly any games and you cannot upgrade them to needed standards for the latest games), so many things.

My choice is Windows.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
and graphics design

I don't understand this point. The same apps exist on both OSes, and the Windows versions often have the extra ability to use GPGPU computation, 3D rendering, video encoders/decoders, etc.

It was better when you has MacOS on one side, and DOS on the other, but now, not sure there's a difference.

GBH187

Reaction score
One major thing that I don't like about the Mac, is the lack of right-clicking.

just click with two fingers, e.g. index finger and middle finger, the mac will recognise it as a "right" click

Mac OSX is far superior to windows, althought Ill admit that even tho i have a macbook i still have a windows desktop for gaming

Nathan H

Reaction score
Windows is far better than mac, hell even linux is better than mac, i have one main reason, compatibility. on windows, anyone can build a computer put windows on it, and it will run, no doubt about it. but macs, you can't even build a mac because all the hardware is proprietry, even the OS you cannot get on a disk,sure there are update disks but none for fresh installs. Linux as well, you can put it on anything with memory, iv heard of people having it on their dishwashers. Don't get a mac, seriously, im a windows fan, but i still prefer linux to a mac

scorch94

Reaction score
Lol, I've read some posts where people say crackers don't deal with writing viruses for Mac. That's lol!
No viruses for some system is its advantage, not a disadvantage.
And there are no viruses cause it hasn't got 10^100 security holes, unlike Windows.

Mac all the way for, if you ask me.

It's far more stable, less-shiny than Vista (which is an advantage for me, cause I don't like that kind of interfaces), and runs everything smoother.
It's true, there is bunch of software not available for Mac, but there are alternatives (except for games, but I don't really play those).
If you really want to run some Windows apps on Mac, get a virtual machine (Parallels is good for Mac).

Adobe Photoshop gives far better performance on Mac than on PC.
So does bunch of other Adobe software.

Hardware?
Well, yeah, it's basically non-upgradable.
But!
Unlike normal hardware it's not some junk from Taiwan or so.
Yeah, it's assembled in China, but they get REAL workers, not some desperate guy who only makes something that looks like PCB.
I understand those guys, they're poorly paid, why would they even bother.

I've bought an iPod for my sister and it's been working flawlessly for a long time, unlike other MP3 players. That proves Apple gives far better hardware. That's why it's expensive.

Same thing for Mac.
I bet 50% of people who shout Windows, Windows, Windows ownz! are so lazy to even try something new.
Windows is bloatware.
When I get an OS, I want it to be an OS.
I don't need music player, I'll download it.
If they wanna provide me with a web browser, it's OK, but don't give me junk like IE.
Half of MS' products is bloatware. When I get a browser, I don't need an anti-virus, WYSIWYG editor, IDE for C++ or something like that. I need a web browser!

Unfortunately, I'm forced to use Windows, since I haven't got money to pay for a Mac.
But as soon as I earn it, I gonna buy it.

GBH187

Reaction score
Windows is far better than mac, hell even linux is better than mac, i have one main reason, compatibility.

I'd agree with you there if you were not completely wrong.

Mac's are far more compatible than Windows PC's

I say that because the OS only runs on approved hardware, providing a level of assurance that allows users to say Yes this software will run on my computer.

Lets not forget that Microsoft is currently the target of a class action lawsuit over their "Vista Capable" advertising campaign,

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I've bought an iPod for my sister and it's been working flawlessly for a long time, unlike other MP3 players. That proves Apple gives far better hardware. That's why it's expensive.

Thats funny, because I know 4 people, who all have IPods, and all have been sent back. One of my friends is even on his third! Now Ive had a Creative Zen MP3 player, and it hasnt let me down at all. Granted, it only has 1GB memory and it runs off a standard battery, but its worked for years. I also have one of my own MP4 players, and thats also been flawless - which came from China.

But back to topic - Mac use some of the same hardware, such as Intel CPUs, Corsair Memory, ATI/NVidia Graphics - all of which come in a PC - so saying macs use better hardware is an un-true statement, because its the same hardware.

Alex