Dreamweave is it the cost?

zester

Reaction score
Ok, after reading allot the post in the form. It has become clear to me that most people recommended free and/or opened source website software like Jooma over the paid ones like Dreamweaver CS3. Now I must say that I do not work for or have any dealings with Adobe or any other company of that kind. But I do think that Dreamweaver is a very good program, and if you add in all the other programs that come in the CS3 suite like Photoshop, Fireworks, illustrator, and more I just do not see how Joomla can be considered way better. The Only 2 reasons I can see is. One the cost yes the cost of the Adobe package is a supper high if you compare it to the free or opened source programs. The other reason is maybe the opened source community hates Adobe, like we all known they hate MS.

Anyway this is my question Y is Joomla like programs recommended so much do you think?

1 it is the cost Y pay that much.
2 opened source is always better then the company owned programs.
3 Joomla real is that much better than Dreamweaver.
4 any other reason you can come up with.

Zester out

sclewin

Reaction score
zester said:
Ok, after reading allot the post in the form. It has become clear to me that most people recommended free and/or opened source website software like Jooma over the paid ones like Dreamweaver CS3.
That is popular, smart, advice.

I do think that Dreamweaver is a very good program, and if you add in all the other programs that come in the CS3 suite like Photoshop, Fireworks, illustrator, and more I just do not see how Joomla can be considered way better.
You can't judge a program you have not even tried, you should first try Joomla. You can't just automatically decide that Dreamweaver is better just because it is more expensive. That kind of thinking is very ignorant.

The other reason is maybe the opened source community hates Adobe, like we all known they hate MS.
That is very dangerous talk that is considerably ignorant. I would like to know what evidence you have of this. I am in contact with several open source communities and I myself am a contributor to that community. It is rare to see any hatred towards microsoft in those communities. As a matter of fact even saying something bad about microsoft will usually get someone telling you to stop.

When it comes to adobe I have seen no hatred at all. From what I have seen they are not looked up to, but I know many people that use open source software will commonly use adobe reader or the non-free flash. I myself still use adobe's non-free version of flash instead of the open source version.

Anyway this is my question Y is Joomla like programs recommended so much do you think?
I can not offer any advice on Joomla as I have not used it before. I use Quanta and I am very happy with it, but I do know when a particular piece of software is recommended multiple times that it is a very good program and people will say so for the very simply reason that they used it and liked it.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
This is not a valid comparison because Joomla is a CMS and Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG editor. They are different things for different tasks.

The word you're looking for when you use the letter Y is actually why.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
If you use Joomla, you can be setup with a standard template and a fairly unique site in a few hours.

If you use Dreamweaver, you have to code the whole site yourself. You can end up with better results then Joomla would provide, but it will take much more work.

It depends on your skill, how long you want to spend setting it up, and your budget. However, like I said in the other thread, the 2 go hand in hand - Joomla is very good at being quick and easy to give you a skeleton, then Dreamweaver will allow you to customise and make it unique by coding new templates and modules for it.

Alex

Last edited:

jjpeacha

Reaction score
If you use Joomla, you can be setup with a standard template and a fairly unique site in a few hours.

If you use Dreamweaver, you have to code the whole site yourself. You can end up with better results then Joomla would provide, but it will take much more work.

It depends on your skill, how long you want to spend setting it up, and your budget. However, like I said in the other thread, the 2 go hand in hand - Joomla is very good at being quick and easy to give you a skeleton, then Dreamweaver will allow you to customise and make it unique by coding new templates and modules for it.

Alex
Componentwarehouse hit the nail on the head. Dreamweaver is really for the new web designers. It's a wysiwyg (What You See Is What You Get) program which shows you your website as you design it. Joomla is very good for content rich websites that have regular news/blog/tutorials but also want to contain forums and chat rooms within the site.

Joomla is very easy to use with extensive templates. Many people use Joomla because the templates are customizable meaning you can make a unique website without having to recode the site.

As somebody above said you cannot really compare Joomla and Dreamweaver because they are completely different packages.

Its really up to you which you prefer, but designing something like joomla in dreamweaver may prove difficult without extensive PHP and database knowledge.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you should look at this program first: http://nvudev.com/index.php
If you don't like the idea, try a Content Management System
If you do like it, Dreamweaver may be worth the cost.

jjpeacha

Reaction score
^^ It looks like a really good program, it's just a shame that the site it's being distributed on doesn't look that good . . . and the coding isn't the best, that site could easily be made tableless with a bit of know-how.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

LHVWB

Reaction score
Componentwarehouse hit the nail on the head. Dreamweaver is really for the new web designers.

I have to disagree with that, Dreamweaver also has useful inbuilt function libraries and a good ftp uploader and site manager. I still use Dreamweaver for all of my php and html coding because its easy to use, not because it can write bad html for you. I hardly use the WYSIWYG component at all.

Dreamweaver is good if you can afford it, I am lucky that I have a version through work that I can use at home, meaning that its cheap for me... :)

GBH187

Reaction score
Ok, after reading allot the post in the form. It has become clear to me that most people recommended free and/or opened source website software like Jooma over the paid ones like Dreamweaver CS3.
Umm Joomla is a CMS dreamweaver is a html/php/asp etc.. editor... the two can not be compared.

Now I must say that I do not work for or have any dealings with Adobe or any other company of that kind. But I do think that Dreamweaver is a very good program, and if you add in all the other programs that come in the CS3 suite like Photoshop, Fireworks, illustrator, and more I just do not see how Joomla can be considered way better.
yeah I dont know you can compare CS3 Suite to a content management system.
They have nothing in common and can not be compared. Thats like saying that Microsoft Word is not as good as Photoshop at Creating speadsheets.

The Only 2 reasons I can see is. One the cost yes the cost of the Adobe package is a supper high if you compare it to the free or opened source programs. The other reason is maybe the opened source community hates Adobe, like we all known they hate MS.
yes Adobe software is expensive.
Joomla is one of the best and most widely supported CMS' avaliable and its free.

I prefer Open Source

Joomla is nothing like Dreamweaver, dunno how you could possibly compare the two.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is a page editor, and Joomla is installed on your website. You go in Joomla to add or edit content, links, "modules", etc. The layout is pre-built, altough you can change it. In Dreamweaver, you have to write all this.

Still, I prefer NotePad.

sclewin

Reaction score
I tried Joomla on my site and I can now fully see what people are saying. It is nothing like a WYSIWYG or IDE and should not be compared to them.

I know it is not for me because I do all my editing on one computer and I like to have full control over my site. But, I can easily see how Joomla can be a very powerful for some people. If I wanted to get a site up and running fast or if I did not want to work that much on my site, I could get a full functioning site with all the extras (RSS news, login, etc.) up and running much faster than any WYSIWYG or IDE. Also, I can see how a CMS would be good for beginners as you don't need to edit code and it looks like a CMS would not screw up code as much as WYSIWYG's do.

Spritey

Reaction score
There's also the whole "people regularly can't afford things like Dreamweaver" thing.

Even if they were the same thing, a lot of people would go for the free one simply because they don't have to pay an extortionate price.

(And don't tell me it's not. £200 for Microsoft Office 2007? Pah!)

sclewin

Reaction score
Even if they were the same thing, a lot of people would go for the free one simply because they don't have to pay an extortionate price.
Very true, free is always better.

(And don't tell me it's not. £200 for Microsoft Office 2007? Pah!)
No kidding. What moron pays for something when they can get something that cost nothing that is almost as good, if not better.

JuniorD

Reaction score
i have dreamweaver. i could never be so satisfied with any product other than dream. It was totally worth the cost, and it also integrates with PS. You can save your sliced picture and turn it into a html document and program it with dreamweaver. I love it. Worth 300 bucks. :p

dprksh

Reaction score
Re: Dreamweave is it the cost?
This is not a valid comparison because Joomla is a CMS and Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG editor. They are different things for different tasks.

The word you're looking for when you use the letter Y is actually why.

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
It just doesn't make a lot of sense to pay for a program that you can find a free alternative to. Comparing Dreamweaver to Joomla based on the fact that you get Photoshop with it makes no sense.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I like Dreamweaver, it is very useful when coding stuff, but I think the price does put people off it a bit. But I also use Joomla, and I find that just as useful as Dreamweaver.

I agree Dreamweaver and Joomla cannot be compared because they are quite different. The only thing they have in common is that they can both be used to design a website.

hezuo

Reaction score
first off, there's no point of comparation. as everyone has stated before, joomla is a cms, and dreamweaver is a powerful wysiwyg editor. I do believe that Dw is not only for "begginers", because it has many useful features. In fact, it's kind of sad that there is no open source program as good as dw. I've tried several, but I still prefer to use it under wine.

kkenny

Reaction score

4 any other reason you can come up with.

Zester out

As someone else has stated, you are comparing a CMS to a WYSIWYG. Those are two very different categories.

But if you really want my answer. It is definitely not 2 or three. And in cases where sites have little or no funding, it is also one. Dreamweaver is a program everyone wishes of getting, but can never get of it's prices. It's not that it's bad. It's just that it's price tag comes at a high rate that some people just think they will never get it. ( I am one of them )