Microsoft sees end of Windows era

pokerhaji

Reaction score
Microsoft's Next OS concept is on the basis of virtualisation. Microsoft has kicked off a research project to create software that will take over when it retires Windows. Called Midori ( Midori ( "It is the Japanese word for the color "green" ") is the code name for a microkernel-based operating system written as managed code, being developed at Microsoft, mooted as a possible successor to Microsoft Windows by some members of the IT press. It is closely related to Microsoft's Singularity ) , the cut-down operating system is radically different to Microsoft's older programs.

To read More Link : Tek4.co.nr

Nathan H

Reaction score
This sounds quite a bolod move for microsoft, they have been with Windows since the beginning. I wonder whether this will pay off

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This sounds interesting. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't kill themselves by moving away from the Windows series, but if they can improve a bunch of things in the new operating system, that'll be cool.

jaco_don

Reaction score
Well it would be a risky move ... other OS trying to capture the market ... well can't say much unless ... get to use it...

Nathan H

Reaction score
In what i can understand they are basically making a new version of Windows XP (Still the greatest OS i have everused). The main complaints about windows iv heard are a) The BSD's (which i have only had 2 of since the computer was brought online last year) and b) its too clutters. Seems like there reallly gonna take down point b.

Hakosho

Reaction score
I would keep a close eye on this project, but I think it will fail as far as good green goes. Vista is crap and If this one uses the same computer resources, it will be horrid also. THey needed just to re-write windows in a better form and get off the NT core they have using for a while.

ranjeet

Reaction score
I would suggest them shutdown the project and donate microsoft corp to linux org....that would be cool

intertec

Reaction score
We just have to wait and see what happens! But still don't think Microsoft will make a better Operating System then Windows Xp.

alcramer

Reaction score
From what I can see, Midori is a tremendously exciting, radically new paradigm intended to radically change, in a tremendously exciting way, the way people implement software. This is kinda familiar: they tried it about 7 years ago with .NET, and around 15 years ago with COM. Both flopped: you used these technologies if you were writing stuff intimately mated to Microsoft products, otherwise ignored them. In my experience,people don't get tremendously exciited about radical new paradigms unless they make it easier to do stuff. Which neither .NET nor COM did.

anirtak143

Reaction score
i think most of the ideas i have seen in vista were taken from linux distros... like the widgets, etc..

and the theme looks a bit like kde,,,... i dont know, this is just my opinion.:lol:

Nathan H

Reaction score
What i found at the moment everything looks very simliar to everything else. I jsut hope with a new outlook on the OS maybe theyll rethink the designs.

vol7ron

Reaction score
This sounds quite a bolod move for microsoft, they have been with Windows since the beginning. I wonder whether this will pay off
They have not been with Windows since the beginning, they switched from DOS to their own version, MS-DOS, to Windows. Maybe you meant that they've stood behind Windows since its release? True.

i think most of the ideas i have seen in vista were taken from linux distros... like the widgets, etc..
Widgets have been popular for a long time prior to when they were used in Linux. They grew even more in favor with the advent of Tablet PCs.

We just have to wait and see what happens! But still don't think Microsoft will make a better Operating System then Windows Xp.
Probably the best comment made. I haven't done any research on the subject, so the following is purely opinion, but I would think that with how programming and operating systems are today, that Microsoft no longer needs an OS. The purpose before was to take the market share, and to offer a plentiful programs for the OS. Well now they're able to put their programs on any OS. Besides the initial purchase of the computer, Microsoft makes no money from having an OS, in fact, they probably make a lot less then imagined when you factor in all the research costs of hack-testing, all the costs paid to update supports, and then all the lawyer costs associated with the product. Microsoft would do a better job at focusing on Office-like products and applications that make the use of the computer easier, not the logic. They no longer need an OS to force people to use their applications, whereas before it forced users to use only Windows-based products.

Last edited:

xtr3mx7

Reaction score
I think it would be like a re-branding of Windows. I believe MS are not that stupid to stop Win OS since it's the mostly used OS so far.

knightcon

Reaction score
The problem Microsoft has always had is that they attempt to take control of the computer away from the user, requiring you to use their GUI's. What they need to look at doing if they create a new OS is to offer the ability to add plugins and modules which the every day user can add instead of offering code API's which need a degree is software engineering to be able to work with.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Knightcon, the thing is, no offense to them, the average computer user is an idiot. Most people would know the first thing about computers if you took the GUI away, Thats why people still sell and buy windows.