AVG
Zonealarm
Spybot search and destroy
Dreamweaver
Apache+PHP+MySQL running locally not on the network
Firefox
After:
Dreamweaver
So Dreamweaver was the exploit or something went badly wrong lol I have alot more Harddrive space CPU power 4 gigs of RAM and such now so I can use it as an actual computer happily running Linux.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: Is VISTA virus free????

LOL then I guess you're in the green. I know a lot of friends who run Windows XP and ask me to come down and remove crap from their computer because they use Limewire, which so happens to be one of the worst P2P programs ever since everyone injects bad things into the files.

chappill

Reaction score

Some people find injecting crap into files fun, me myself if I was going to do the job, I'd do it properly and zip the files and make a nice little auto-running bat file, so when the folder was unzipped the computer would shut down and refuse to start up again. Linux has around 900 Viruses as it stands and they only work if you're a twonk and log in to your r00t account.

T

themasterrocker

I didn't use P2P I had running before:
AVG
Zonealarm
Spybot search and destroy
Dreamweaver
Apache+PHP+MySQL running locally not on the network
Firefox
After:
Dreamweaver
So Dreamweaver was the exploit or something went badly wrong lol I have alot more Harddrive space CPU power 4 gigs of RAM and such now so I can use it as an actual computer happily running Linux.

The upgrade version is because i've installed it several times and it's had no virus. However i've not tried the other version so I wouldn't know. but if you get Home Premium then it's got Windows Defender already and therefore it's blocking most incoming spyware and adware and what not coming in, however i still recommend you get an anti-virus software

Divinorum

Reaction score

Vista itself is a Virus, I recommend just upgrading to XP (yes upgrading, because even something created a long time ago is better than that joke of an operating system.) I don't know what else to say but try not using P2P clients to download programs because they usually are viruses (if the program you are downloading is around 0kb - 999kb DELETE IT, IT'S A PHONY!) There are some really simple guidelines to avoiding viruses I just haven't created them yet.

But that definitely is one, also, don't go to foreign sites that you probably know aren't good. If google says they're bad, they are. Don't click on links your "jokester" friends send you unless if you trust them enough to make sure that they wouldn't mess with you. Don't go on sites for warez/serials because for one thing, that's illegal, and another thing they ALWAYS contain a trojan/virus/adware/spyware and it's not even worth the risk.

Really it's simple math to avoid viruses, I only catch them when I want to test out my own anti virus that I made myself, and it's really hard to keep it up to date now I know all the stress that these other anti virus people go through.

Anyways I really recommend Windows XP, and if you don't think you can handle my guideline to avoiding viruses and you're not much of a gamer or anything that will require a certain Windows program to help you along just go with Linux Kubuntu (for faster and better machines) or Ubuntu (for slower machines, but still decent.)

T

themasterrocker

Isn't that a bit out the point? considering we're talking about windows vista not about serials and what are bad sites and not? to be honest Vista is totally safe. It is advanced and i would happily used it if it didn't block out necessary connections i need.

kkenny

Reaction score

Isn't that a bit out the point? considering we're talking about windows vista not about serials and what are bad sites and not? to be honest Vista is totally safe. It is advanced and i would happily used it if it didn't block out necessary connections i need.

It may be safe, but it uses a crap load of more resources then it really needs to use for little results. I really think it's the worst OS, and the next OS Windows releases better be decent to even purchase. I really think Linux and even Mac with their windows emulators, are catching up to the competition. Windows is fail.

jhgraphics

Reaction score

Vista is virus free when you first get it as any other operating software. Though once you start downloading things offline, you still have the same chance as anyone else to get a virus. I have gotten a virus just the other day, nothing came up asking if I did indeed want to run it. Though it did not do any damage, it was just annoying. The same virus in an XP environment would of crashed the system. I do believe as time goes on we will see more deadly (if you wanna call it that) viruses the will affect Vista.

admael

Reaction score

First line of defense is common sense.
If something looks suspicious, don't click the link. It's that simple.

People that have their computer completely destroyed by a virus or any type of mal-content, more than likely was doing something they weren't suppose to be doing in the first place.

Antivirus, Firewalls, and Anti-spy/malware software is just "incase **** happens", there's no reason for ignorance.

Last edited:

fdh2000

Reaction score

I do have to say that Windows vista is a good operating system but slow. Even Microsoft admits that it made a lot of mistakes with Windows Vista and it was even released over a year late. I am honestly keeping xp or switching to Linspire. But no Windows Vista has no viruses only unnecessary components and software.

warlordste

Reaction score

vista is pratically virus free atm but soon like any other one of micrsofts products it will end up getting buggy and then they create a new OS claiming the same as they have done time and time again

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score

Yeah, I find that annoying.

If they made a good OS that wasn't ripping off other ones less hackers would target it.

fempower

Reaction score
I think Microsoft products will never be virus-free. They're just too big and juicy a target for hackers with the huge userbase. Also, their products are too full of bloat -- and potential holes -- with more added all the time since they keep making their own intergrated version of any and all types of software. To be safe, maybe you could use one computer for purely offline activities and make sure it's in no way networked or connected to any other systems.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I believe that any popular operating system will never be safe from viruses. The hacking underworld is developing as fast as computer engineers can make operating systems or patches. As fempower said, the monopoly that is Microsoft tends to make knock offs of everything that is popular (and here I am using their OS) creating the possibility for more holes that hackers can exploit. But that is no reason to not use Windows. Just get a good anti virus like Kaspersky and that will protect you 95% of the time. Living in fear is not living at all.

~Twinkie

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
There might be some viruses..

infinity.ti

Reaction score
Vista can remain virus free untill the UAC (User Account Control) has not been deactivated. Some people deactivate it out of annoyance from the number of times it asks permission before running any program. More over Vista has Autoruns disabled for Removable devices. Which rules out a large number of other possibilities the computer can get infected.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Vista can remain virus free untill the UAC (User Account Control) has not been deactivated. Some people deactivate it out of annoyance from the number of times it asks permission before running any program. More over Vista has Autoruns disabled for Removable devices. Which rules out a large number of other possibilities the computer can get infected.

I couldn't agree more with this post. One of my friends who just loves to torrent has been saved numerous times by UAC. He had it off before I told him to turn it off and he ended up reformatting every month. Anyone who shuts UAC off and complains their computer got destroyed by a virus deserves the idiot tag in my opinion.