Selection box size

driveflexfuel

Reaction score
I have a selection box with about 50 options. Is there a way to adjust the height of the option box so that it does not take up the height of the screen in Internet Explorer.

driveflexfuel

Reaction score
I don't want to change the hight of the box selection box. I want to change the height of the list that pops up when you click the selection box.

xmakina

Reaction score
I don't think you can. Firefox only uses just over half the page. I tried iframe and that didn't help. Just another way IE sucks I think. Sorry :S

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
theres probably some weird way that it can be done with scrollbars.

google it. :p

xmakina

Reaction score
I have no reason to think this is possible. The *only* attribute in the <select> tag that relates to rows shown is the size one. It's a bit of an omission on the w3c's side but it sadly means there's no way to regulate the option list length.

You *may* want to try building a custom object but that's something that's way beyond my skills and, all things considered, probably isn't worth it.

driveflexfuel

Reaction score
I think you are all right. I have been looking everywhere and come up with the same conclusion I guess those that use IE will just have to deal with the large box.

You can close this thread

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are all right. I have been looking everywhere and come up with the same conclusion I guess those that use IE will just have to deal with the large box.

You can close this thread

Question based of of something I've seen done on other sites - is it the sort of thing you could break into two boxes?

Such as one box, Option 1 we'll call it, that has four or five main groups, which when selected change the options in Option 2 to match?

Cause if you could break the 50 down into 5 groups, that second box could be containing 10 items instead of 50, but you'd have to have the user mark something in Box 1 so it changes in Box 2.

Example at http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/default.aspx , where it says Select make/model - you select the make and the model box gets filled in. If you change the make, it goes back and changes whats in the model.

So instead of a huge list like Acura - Model 1, Acura - Model 2, etc, you get "Acura" in first and "model 1" in the second. Smaller listboxes but same information.

Just a thought; I'm not sure what you're doing with the boxes, but it might be possible.

lordskid

Reaction score
I think he is asking whether you can limit the number of items initially displayed by the select the <select> ...<option> dropdown box and just use the scroll to show more of the options.

(I think... :)

dickey

Reaction score
How did you know? did you ask him? did you even read what was posted? hehehe why not try to create code for that I heard your good with this stuff.