Favorite Old School Games

adamlinux

Reaction score
I was just kinda curious as to what your favorite old school game or games are. It can be from any era, so long as its old school to you. Mine is probably Castlevania for the NES, because it is the first game that I can ever remember playing, and back then it was pretty awesome. :cool:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd have to say Megaman for the NES. Megaman is probably the most classic game out there besides Super Mario.

adamlinux

Reaction score
Yeah, those were both great games, when they wanted to work :biggrin:, remember blowing on cartridges and all the crazy things people did just to make the games work.

Noodles8

Reaction score
Virtual Mario! That's right, I said it. Virtual Mario! How many of you guys had that one? Nothing like seeing a red lined Wario.

But really, thinking back I didn't really enjoy it. It was short lived. I remember game gear, and things as well. Of course the original Nintendo. Who didn't like shooting ducks and clay pigeons one second, then flying over lava pits and throwing fireballs the next?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, those were both great games, when they wanted to work :biggrin:, remember blowing on cartridges and all the crazy things people did just to make the games work.

Reminds me of my friend's N64 and whenever we wanted to play Super Smash Bros. We'd have to play with the console to get it to work :biggrin: which often meant hitting it or of course, blowing at the cartriges.

Xoalazord

Reaction score
Zelda, Metroid, Megaman, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy. These still keep going with fun incarnations but I remember how great the originals were and still are. I still play a lot of old school games though. For me the NES and SNES era will always be what I think about when I think about video games. I'm glad though that I can enjoy earlier stuff like atari or newer stuff they have today.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I agree, for me the best times spent with video games will always be when I played Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I still have both consoles and play the games from time to time, but I could never get rid of my consoles. Even though I don't play them much anymore its nice to know that they are still there if I want to. :biggrin:

TaoPhoenix

Reaction score
Ataxx. Mame is a beautiful thing.
Yar's Revenge is now on a keychain.
Hand Held Nintendo games.
Commodore 128 hacks.
Does Solitaire timed with a stopwatch count?

xPlozion

Reaction score
never had snes, but started w/ colecovision, then nes, sega genesis, then ps/n64, etc...

I remember playing games such as popeye, donkey kong, and many other games for coleco, but it's been so many years ago, and i'm only 19, so i was around 5 for that... nes i remember mario 3, the greatest game imo. it was annoying to get the games working though... blowing on them, putting them in, closing it just to find out that they weren't put in right, that and the original ninja gaiden and duck hunt... genesis and everything after (ps/n64, dreamcast/ps2/gc/xbox, xbox360/wii) we still have but i only play the xbox because of xbox live (i got bored of single player games, but i'm currently reliving the past with banjo-kazooie on the xbox arcade (free w/ n&b preorder) and banjo-kazooie nuts and bolts

Last edited:

scottnj

Reaction score
Mine is Super Mario 64, for the N64. I believe it was the first 3D video game I played, and I wish I still had it.

If not Mario, than Star Fox 64.

Edit:

Have to admit, I also spent quite a bit of time blowing the cartridges, the slot, and fitling with the AV adaptor.

Last edited:

tridge

Reaction score
Rock and Roll Racing! Tridge takes the lead!

rocknrollracing_001_450x360.jpg

Noodles8

Reaction score
I dont remember that game. But it reminds me of Micro Machine Racers. That was another fun one I use to play a lot.

Then again you cant forget others like Excite Bike, Road Rage, Ninja Turtles, X-men(for Sega), the ORIGINAL MORTAL KOMBAT. So many...soo so many games...

adamlinux

Reaction score
You know another really good game is called Metal Slug for the Neo Geo, it was around about the same time as mortal combat but was far less popular.

Hurtbricks

Reaction score
I have played Metal Slug, what a classic, but I would have to say that my favorite game would have to be the original Zelda for the NES.:biggrin:

tridge

Reaction score
omg, I forgot about Micro Machine Racers...that game did take up a crapload of my time...

mattura

Reaction score
digger! that was awesome!
also Galactix - it came on 5&1/2 inch floppy disks!

adamlinux

Reaction score
Wow 5 1/2 in floppy, now that is old school, at least it didn't come on a tape like the really old systems. I think the c64 had tapes if I'm not mistaken.

mattura

Reaction score
At one point I had a ZX Spectrum, with some games on tapes.
"Horace goes skiing" was one of them. Not bad.