Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Or... Custom Made?

Votes: 52 40.0%

• Total voters

Max1337

Reaction score
Which PC brand do you prefer to use, and why??
What's so special about that brand, why you like it so much, and what's different about it compared to others.

PC Brands:
  • Acer
  • Alienware
  • Compaq
  • Dell
  • eMachines
  • Gateway
  • HP
  • Sony
  • Toshiba
  • Or another one not listed?

I personally like Alienware, because they offer top-of-the-line hardware, plus the PC is designed for gaming.
The case style is really nice, the cabling inside the PC is professional looking, they offer up to 4 years of warranty as an option, instead of an 'extended warranty', and they let you customize what software you want, instead of just putting a bunch of junk you don't even need/want.

Most other OEM's I've used have always seemed to fail, and end up messing up sooner then expected, plus they come pre-installed with a bunch of un-necesarry software that you probably won't even use, and get rid of, and their tech support was mostly people I could barely even understand.

Last edited:

adamlinux

Reaction score
I guess Sony or Acer but personally if I want a computer I just build one, I end up spending less and having far more bang for my buck. Plus, building a computer is pretty easy, and a whole lot of fun, at least for me anyways.:biggrin:

Max1337

Reaction score
I guess Sony or Acer but personally if I want a computer I just build one, I end up spending less and having far more bang for my buck. Plus, building a computer is pretty easy, and a whole lot of fun, at least for me anyways.:biggrin:

Yea, building your own PC does save money, and lets you customize exactly what you want on it.
But lol, I never really created my own topic on here, so I figured why not? :p

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
DIY from scratch. Least then you know exactly what kind of workmanship went into it, and although pre-made systems -are- catching up, it seems DIY STILL gives the best bang-for-your-buck if you shop around for the parts to get the best deals on the same pieces.

But as much as I hate them, Dell otherwise. Tech support's a pain but at least the stuff seems to get fixed eventually.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
None of the above. I build my desktops. But for laptops I'm not brand specific, although Asus is good - not much bloat, apart from Norton.

Alienware is no longer a separate company - they've been bought out by Dell. :)

xPlozion

Reaction score
as everyone else has said, i've built my comp. i love the case too :D

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I search www.dealcatcher.com for good Dell computer deals when I'm in the market for one. I make sure to get a setup that would cost me more to build myself, and then buy separately the components I want to upgrade.

For instance, for $669 a year ago, I got this setup:
2.33 GHz C2D, 4 MB L2
20" Widescreen LCD monitor
80 GB HDD
nVidia 8600GT (256 MB)

I swapped out the Dell 300W PSU and the 8600GT for a 650W Corsair and an 8800GT. I can still sell my entire system and still cut a profit a year since I've bought this machine.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm a built-it-yourself type of person. Three of the seven computers in my home have been built by me. One of them is my gaming computer, another one is my older gaming computer, and another is an old AMD K6 machine. I also recall a computer in my basement running an old 586/Pentium I processor that I built myself as well. But if anything, I am a Dell person, but it's whoever gives the fastest system for the cheapest price, since after all I save a heck of a lot of money building my own boxes.

adamlinux

Reaction score
Smith6612 said:
I'm a built-it-yourself type of person. Three of the seven computers in my home have been built by me. One of them is my gaming computer, another one is my older gaming computer, and another is an old AMD K6 machine. I also recall a computer in my basement running an old 586/Pentium I processor that I built myself as well. But if anything, I am a Dell person, but it's whoever gives the fastest system for the cheapest price, since after all I save a heck of a lot of money building my own boxes.

wow seven, thats quite a few, I only have two at the moment, but I have so many random parts its pitiful.

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
As of now, I only have 3 computers that I built myself.
And one HP computer that I didn't build lol...
Those 3 computers are actually being used as servers, and the HP is one i normally use.

Anirban1987

Reaction score
I aso would like make my PC myself. It offers you the flexibilty to choose the best brands in your computer. Where as branded computer ties you with them. You have to approach them each and evey time you need to fix a problem or upgrade a component. Also branded computers generally have overclocking features locked.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
its better to build one then to just go out and buy a brand computer
if you just do some browsing i would say get a normal retail pc
if you are a gamer to hardcore gamer and overclocker build your own computer
why becoase retails already have scrappy parts and you pay to much and you dont get much in return

T

themasterrocker

I am going to sticky this. All other threads made to do with this will be closed. and refered here. Also please no one liners.

M

Macaws

Yeah, Sony or apple. NOT DELL!
I am a little anti-Dell today...

JKnife

Reaction score
Other as in ASUS.

I love my new laptop from ASUS. it is a X83V (i think it is exclusive to Best Buy) and only paid $750 plus tax.

CNET Review of the laptop I got

(only side note.. mine does have bluetooth, just guess i have a newer model then the one they reviewed)

WyrGecko

Reaction score
I think that it depends on what I want it for, and if I'm willing to pay for it :p. e.g. Dell XPS is something that I'd love to use just to mess around with the lights, but it's really not needed.

Anyway, Dell desktops seem to be pretty stable. An HP desktop that my family had several years ago wasn't all that great, but I'm really liking their newer laptops. I'm on a Pavilion dv6000 right now; I've been using it for a couple years by now, and it looks/works great.