Is having ads on your site worth the extra resources?

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I think it depends on your needs. I've never run a website before, but I've been around at x10Hosting for a while. I think you should start out on the ad-free plan then convert or switch to x10's paid hosting plans once you need more space, etc.

What are your thoughts?

bookworm99

Reaction score
Well, if you site has high enough traffic, I suppose it would be - but you need to be careful. I never click ads, but if it were a matter of keeping my favorite site up, I mgiht be persuaded to slam my mouse on one or two of 'em in order to keep the site alive. If it's just some guy to make money, I won't ever, because it's not my job to support you (now, I may also click if politely asked to support the site, but probably not and only if it has information I need).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Personally, I woudl never put ads on my site.

cheesydud

Reaction score
I wouldn't ever put advertisements on my site as it is, but it depends on what kind of site for me.

If the site was like a public resource, I would probably put ads on it. But if it were a personal blog, never. If it were a community forum or site, probably not.

If you're trading ad clicks for bandwidth, you have to see if the ratio of money to bandwidth money is decent.

If you get the text-ad plan, then it's not too bad, since you can place the ad anywhere on your pages as long as it is there.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Having ads on your site....I try to avoid putting up ads on my site. I believe it does take more bandwidth, and (since there are no ads to make money off of, paying for the bandwidth out of your own pocket is a hassle)....

I only leave ads up, If it promotes another site I have, and if I am trying to make money selling or introducing my own products on one of my other sites.

Never put text ads before....or text ads that change to things your site has nothing to do with.

Overall in my opinion, if the ads belong to my other sites....it is worth it, if the ads don't then I would try to avoid it at all times.

M

Macaws

I would definately prefer ad-free, because its hassle free (no needing to worry about suspensions) but also it sucks because its stripped of features. The ad enhanced comes with more features, but you have to put ads on every page, and the server gets filled.
What I say: ad enhanced

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would definately prefer ad-free, because its hassle free (no needing to worry about suspensions) but also it sucks because its stripped of features. The ad enhanced comes with more features, but you have to put ads on every page, and the server gets filled.
What I say: ad enhanced

It is not that hard to put an ad on every page....I think it takes typically 1 file that you have to edit to have an ad displayed on basically all of your pages on a particular site.

That is why I would choose ad enhanced it gives better features thanks to the people who upgraded their account. Thankyou to all of those paying for their account.

Thankyou everyone that helped and is working on the x10hosting site and it's wonderful features.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, the question comes down to be if you really do need the ads or not along with the extra resources. Personally myself, I'm well within the resources of my account so I don't have any need for them. Should my site start to get too big/busy for my account type, I'll throw ads on or upgrade to paid.

interwebpirate

Reaction score
only recently did i start putting ads on my websites to try to generate some kind of revenue to at least pay for the domain name so that the site can be self sufficient financially.. not sure if its paying off though, a site looks so much nicer without ads plastered all over it.

as for if its worth the extra resources; i would say it is if you have a decent sized users that frequent your site. if not, it's not really worth it in my opinion.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I have ads on my site. I got payed by google just at the right time :D I would usually only get £50 while this time I got £70.

Anyway, back on topic...

I get about $100 every six months from the ads on my site. Usually the ads are quite small, hard to notice, and if there are any ads that flash too much I block them.

I would prefer the ad free plan on x10, as I don't use all my resources anyway.

~Callum

hcse26

Reaction score
It's worth it if you're generating a good user base and you are choosing a good company/service like Google.

The thing is, if you wanna put ads, no matter how big or small it is, you have to put it neatly so your visitors won't be distracted :)

It is not that hard to put an ad on every page....I think it takes typically 1 file that you have to edit to have an ad displayed on basically all of your pages on a particular site.

You could do it as templated if you hard-coded your site so it won't be a hassle to change adcodes of you need to.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on what you need. I don't need the extra resources, but think about how many more people just chose ad-free, and how much slower your site must load because of it (ad-free and ad-enhanced is hosted on different servers). So I picked ad-enhanced and put the ads in an unobstructive place.

Last edited:

MistaC87

Reaction score
My site was ad-free once upon a time...then I wanted to go full out and use HD video and all this stuff on my website. So, I upgraded to corporate hosting to take advantage. I'm still in the process of lazily programming my website so it can show HD Video over flash. I could finish it today, but I don't have many visitors come to my website, just some people who have my resume or have seen some of my flash work on a website called Newgrounds. I'm going to kick in the HD video before I release something on Newgrounds though, because I have a feeling my site views will increase once I'm done with a project I'm working on right now. Then again, I could get my Bandwidth all munched up in a week if I'm not careful.

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
I won't but ads on my website. Not unless I get enough traffic to make it worth it. Its not worth throwing up ads if your going to make 2c a month. I mean why?

Max1337

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of seeing ads on a website, I infact think ads just slow down the loading speed of websites, because their being redirected to multiple servers just to load.
Plus ads just make the site look kinda ugly-ish lol
I wouldn't put ads on my site either, but if I had like a couple hundred visitors a day then why not? I could make money off it. :p