Python?

pachama

Reaction score
What do most of you use python for? Im trying to learn it, as I read about it I find that there's a lot of neat thing that you can to with it for text processing stuff, but, what else have any of you done with it? any interesting things?

cuillini

Reaction score
Python can be used a variety of things. I unfortunately learned it after I was out of school so, I had to teach myself and self motivate myself.

I used it for some screen scraping programs but, you could use it pretty much anything you want.

As an example, my last program was one where using youtube's api, I downloaded my playlist, randomly organized the songs and then played them back.

This is a really stupid example but, in youtube there is no random playlist function and it gets boring listening to songs in the same order.

Next, I really want to learn how to use python to create a dynamic site. I know there are python based cms systems like drupal but, I haven't had enough motivation to sit through them to make a functioning site.

laters

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I heard it is great for light things, like server interaction. The heavy programs are more for C++, still a language worth learning.

lanxce

Reaction score
Also heard Google and NASA use it alot for their features.

owner83

Reaction score
I think many of such languages are just expansion of C/C++. Just learn these languages, then learning the other languages would be fun. Now a days, A Language called RUBY is getting very popular. Python is still limited to research work whereas RUBY is used for Business Management Softwares.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it can, but as with C++ you need a graphics library to create one, like wxwidgets. I agree with owner83, although python is great (much like the lightness of JavaScript), I would go to strait to C++ (which is the equivalent to PHP, but much harder). I tried once myself to learn it a year ago, HARD (got stuck at operator overloading and inheritance about 2/3 of the book). But I was over my head, just learning JavaScript. I will try again after learning MySQL.

Last edited: