Free C++ compiler for Windows?

alcramer

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a free C++ compiler for Windows? I've been using Visual C++ 2003 .NET, but am having to move from Windows XP to Windows Vista, and am nervous about some rumored compatibility issues relating to Vista's security policies. Has anybody here used Borland, Ming, or Digital Mars (etc.) compilers in a Vista context? I realize MFC is out but that's cool, the UI layer of my app is thin and I can easily recode to use Win32 SDK.

Thanks!

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I used the Visual Studio Express suite 2005 and 2008 without any problem, on a half-broken, ultra slow vista no service pack box.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I used the Visual Studio Express suite 2005 and 2008 without any problem, on a half-broken, ultra slow vista no service pack box.

Yeah, both visual studios: 2005, and 2008 work fine on windows vista. Why on earth do you want to downgrade to vista anyways? ;)

alcramer

Reaction score
Hi everybody & thanks for your replies!

My concern is with Visual C++ 2003 (not 2005, which seems to be downwardly compatible with Vista based on what I've seen on the net). I care about that because that's the version I have & I don't feel like giving (expletives deleted) MicroSoft 300$ for an IDE that's free for MAC and Linux.

As to why on earth I want to downgrade to Vista: what choice do I have? If you want to write an app that runs on Windows machines, you've got to make sure that it runs on current versions of their operating system. So I gotta deal with Vista. I really and truly hate that -- I wish 90% of the PC's out there were running Linux with apps using openGL -- but alas that's not the world we're lining in.

nightscream

Reaction score
vista and xp aren't that diffrent when programming it's more the memory security and such.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I care about that because that's the version I have & I don't feel like giving (expletives deleted) MicroSoft 300$ for an IDE that's free for MAC and Linux.
Uh, what? VC++ Express, as stated, is free, and I'm not sure where you got the idea that Microsoft has ever made a Linux/Mac IDE.

kam11

Reaction score
As to why on earth I want to downgrade to Vista: what choice do I have? If you want to write an app that runs on Windows machines, you've got to make sure that it runs on current versions of their operating system. So I gotta deal with Vista. I really and truly hate that -- I wish 90% of the PC's out there were running Linux with apps using openGL -- but alas that's not the world we're lining in.

Submariner

Reaction score
The biggest difference is the Code Access Security built in with Vista. If you disable CAS on the development box and write appliations, chances are you will be giving your Vista users a mess of popups since XP and earlier MS OS's ran with full permission.

To develop for multiple platforms you can use standard code for libraries for Unix/Windows, using the STL and standard C++ calls. Then use a different project file, on it's respective OS, to link to the respective libs. The library/executible enterence file will need to be OS specific. I've done this at a previous employer were we compiled for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris (Sparc and Intel), and DEC Tru64. On the Unix flavors we used GNU's g++.

Setting this up initally is a bit of a pain, but once done rolling out new projects if fairly quick.

Enjoy.

James

dbojan

Reaction score
I suggest that you use WxDevCpp, it has everything like DevCpp but it comes with gui framework and tool to design your frame/dialog. That framework is Wx widgets, it is a cross platform framework and once you create your gui program, you can compile the same code on Linux and Mac to get Linux and Mac programs. Also WxDevCpp is not just compiler it is a complete IDE good for begignig with gui apps it is very similar to Visual Basic. The only that lacks is that it is only for Windows. Code::Blocks is also free and open source and it has it's versions for Mac, Linux and Windows.