Do you believe in God?

Criptex

Reaction score
Those links do not disprove what I said. They have no information to prior years or even a more recent survey. (It's 4 years old).
No, the CNN link is from april 07, I don't think too much can change in a little bit more than a year and a half.

I definitely was not talking about all Christians in general, just the ones that feel the need to impose there beliefs to dismiss scientific theories.
Understood.

Please explain what you're trying to state. I read the link yet I still don't get what your trying to convey. Sorry.
I said that is half true, because many people think that the bible is inaccurate, but the link explains at least a little bit why the bible is not inaccurate even though it may seem like it is.
That link doesn't show any evidence that Jesus was real. All it does was name places and such. That's not evidence.
The link describes places and facts that stayed the same since the time of Jesus, and it also mentions a boat that fits with the description of the boat that the disciples of Jesus used.

Let's not deviate from the topic fellas.
Ok sir.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, the CNN link is from april 07, I don't think too much can change in a little bit more than a year and a half.
But the article is only one person stating there beliefs. It gives no information to the matter at hand other than that persons beliefs. I dismissed that article due to that.
I said that is half true, because many people think that the bible is inaccurate, but the link explains at least a little bit why the bible is not inaccurate even though it may seem like it is.
The link proven that there are inconsistencies in the Bible but I was not referring to those.
The link describes places and facts that stayed the same since the time of Jesus, and it also mentions a boat that fits with the description of the boat that the disciples of Jesus used.
It's still not evidence though. It's coincidence maybe, but definitive proof? Nah.

Criptex

Reaction score
But the article is only one person stating there beliefs. It gives no information to the matter at hand other than that persons beliefs. I dismissed that article due to that. .
Ok. maybe that's just one person, but how about if we go back in history to see the scientists who believed in God?
Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)
Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1627)
Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)
Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)
Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
Robert Boyle (1791-1867)
Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)
Max Planck (1858-1947)
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html

It's still not evidence though. It's coincidence maybe, but definitive proof? Nah.

According to this research, there are 5 main reasons to prove that jesus real, not just a fiction character.
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/rediscover2.html

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok. maybe that's just one person, but how about if we go back in history to see the scientists who believed in God?
Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)
Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1627)
Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)
Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)
Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
Robert Boyle (1791-1867)
Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)
Max Planck (1858-1947)
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html

You can list whoever you want. It makes no bit of difference nor does it make believing in "God" any more valid.

According to this research, there are 5 main reasons to prove that jesus real, not just a fiction character.
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/rediscover2.html

Once again the article cannot prove Jesus was a real person.

That said let me express my personal views on the topic of Jesus. First and foremost I think there was a man names Jesus. I think that he was a charismatic speaker and a natural leader. He may have done some good things for people and was an all around nice guy but preforming miracles, being born of a virgin and the rest of the supernatural he's supposed to have performed never happened and was created by a writers imagination.

Now that's my personal opinion regarding Jesus. Yet, I still have never seen any evidence that can prove he even existed. The article you have posted lists some very weak arguments and really does not prove much of anything except that there really was a Pontius Pilate, which was never in question.

Criptex

Reaction score
You can list whoever you want. It makes no bit of difference nor does it make believing in "God" any more valid.
I think you're getting out of the current discussion... we were talking about wheter the scientists believe in God or not, and you told me that the other link talked about just one person, so I gave you more names.

Once again the article cannot prove Jesus was a real person.

That said let me express my personal views on the topic of Jesus. First and foremost I think there was a man names Jesus. I think that he was a charismatic speaker and a natural leader. He may have done some good things for people and was an all around nice guy but preforming miracles, being born of a virgin and the rest of the supernatural he's supposed to have performed never happened and was created by a writers imagination.

Now that's my personal opinion regarding Jesus. Yet, I still have never seen any evidence that can prove he even existed. The article you have posted lists some very weak arguments and really does not prove much of anything except that there really was a Pontius Pilate, which was never in question.

Ok what kind of arguments are you looking for? Is there a evidence strong enough for you? How do you know that pontious pilate existed? what kind of evidence makes him a real human being that you can't find with Jesus?

and If you believe that pontious pilate existed, which is obvious, then why you don't belive in jesus, if Jesus was presented in front of pilate... there's only two options, Pilate is not real, therefore Jesus is not either, or both are real persons, because they were sharing the same space at the same time in a certain moment, so If you don't believe that Jesus existed, what happened in that moment in the life of pontious pilate?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you're getting out of the current discussion... we were talking about wheter the scientists believe in God or not, and you told me that the other link talked about just one person, so I gave you more names.
I didn't ask for you to name any specific people. I asked you to provide more data on the original link so that we can cross reference and prove or disprove what I stated.

I'm fine with dropping this whole argument as I don't think it's going to lead anywhere constructive to the thread. :)
what kind of evidence makes him a real human being that you can't find with Jesus?
Real remains that have been left behind for starters.
and If you believe that pontious pilate existed, which is obvious, then why you don't belive in jesus,
I don't believe the Christian version of Jesus existed.
How do you know that pontious pilate existed?

if Jesus was presented in front of pilate... there's only two options, Pilate is not real, therefore Jesus is not either, or both are real persons, because they were sharing the same space at the same time in a certain moment, so If you don't believe that Jesus existed, what happened in that moment in the life of pontious pilate?

That reasoning is flawed.

Pontius Pilate wasn't just the man who supposedly condemned Jesus to death. He has a history, a life that can be told through the remains throughout time. They've found coins minted by him and even stone tablets that can prove he was a real person who was a sort of governer, procurer, whatever he was (I don't know). These are things that are not associated with the Bible in any way.

Now, the real question is:

Did a crucifixion really happen or was it an elaborate story based off of older mythical stories that have similar outcomes?

nuria

Reaction score
I don't believe in God. I used to when I was a kid, but I remember very clearly the day when I stopped and asked myself: "Why do I believe?" - and there wasn't reason enough.
I was 8 years old.
My parents tried to convince me, but it didn't really work. I don't think he's real. I respect other people's beliefs though, and I would never try to make anyone agree with my views on the subject. (But it's impressive how many people have already tried to make me believe. C'mon, I respect you, why can't you respect me? D: It gets annoying after a while.)
A bit out of context, but did anyone here read 'Die Zukunft einer Illusion' (Future of an Illusion), by Sigmund Freud? If you did, then you know how I feel about religion.

redefinelove

Reaction score
I love the quote
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" -Stephen Roberts

However, I lean more towards deism... I'm trying to learn more about other religions, however. I doubt I'll ever lean towards atheism, because I just think "what created everything?"

truthguild

Reaction score
I love the quote
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" -Stephen Roberts

However, I lean more towards deism... I'm trying to learn more about other religions, however. I doubt I'll ever lean towards atheism, because I just think "what created everything?"
there's a slight flaw in that - who says it was created? is it not reasonable to think it formed?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If anyone can tell me who (or what) God is I will answer this question.

wiz4r

Reaction score
Does he believe in me?. No way, I don't believe in god. God is a stupid invention.

akkudreamz

Reaction score
well don't believe in 'God' even though i would like to 'believe in the belief' that someone or something governs the working of the universe but as of now the rational side of me doesnt let me believe

and ya even if there is a God i believe he isnt different for different people like they believe he is....i hope i'll see him someday and will let you know if i do....
:)

blueiron

Reaction score
It sounds like me, two years ago...
I was raised in a "christian" home, but they didn't reflect God in them so I decided that I would never believe that Christ thing.
But is not your time, is His time, and when He decides that is time for you to go back to the straight road... it doesn't matter your past, your family beliefs, or religion, it does not matter anything, is just you and Him. And you learn to follow Him, not a religion, not a denomination, is jus Him. believe me, I know about it.

I couldn't even say for sure if I could lead myself to follow that which I do not believe.
But it's not so much a case of simply NOT believing, or believing in the deity.

My belief is, if there is a "god" then he/she/they/it put us here (here being this planet in this portion of our cosmos) to live a happy life, to the betterment of ourselves and our fellow man.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
My belief is, if there is a "god" then he/she/they/it put us here (here being this planet in this portion of our cosmos) to live a happy life, to the betterment of ourselves and our fellow man.
Well said, and I doubt any fair God would give us brains capable of critical thinking and then punish us eternally for not believing God without proof, or believing in the wrong God.

Last edited:

mad-tony

Reaction score
whell some one (or more) UP there has a funny sense of humor.

quote “If God creates a world of particles and waves, dancing in obedience to mathematical and physical laws, who are we to say that he cannot make use of those laws to cover the surface of a small planet with living creatures?” from Martin Gardner

manux

Reaction score
It's funny when I read people saying science, with all its hypothesis and things we arent so sure about, shows the existence of god, science doesn't have all the answers, and surely never will... But I think everything can be proven by logically, it's just that we don't have enough knowledge to do so. As mortal humans we surely never will.
I personally think the concept of god is a refuge for human fear. Think about it, what were the gods? In ancient Egypt gods and goddesses of rivers, floods, rain, i.e. unexplained phenomenons, fear it was. In the middle-ages, unexplained facts and events such as madness or sudden "healing"(now sometimes explained by science), fear of the unknown, again. And Nowadays, the mystery of the universe, maybe far too complex for any human brain, fear of death, of being mortal.
That's god for me.

I also think if I had to believe in any god, it would actually be gods. I'd be a polytheist, it's funnier and makes better stories, doesn't it?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a question. If something appears in the sky, make some wonders and says it is a God would you believe it?

gautham

Reaction score
To me god is an abstract concept. People see god as a temporary answer to questions which otherwise have no answer. Thats how god was formed as an idea.

To me, god is the driving force behind all that exists. To me, god is the set of laws of physics which govern the world. To me god is meta-physics.

What I hate is the common DO-AS-I-SAY-OR-ELSE-GOD-WILL-PUNISH-YOU-AND-DONT-ASK-QUESTIONS type of attitude shown by most major religions.