Noob help with website

Ghost2025

Reaction score
First off i wanted to say. if this is in the wrong spot i am extremly sorry, mods can feel free to remove it or something.
Here is the problem, me and a friend made some html documents and wanted those to be the website. However i am not sure how i could do that at all, i did check the control panel to see if i could put them in though there but i was completly overwhelmed by it's complexity and gave up. Thing is i dont want to use the little template thigies. Yes i am a noob and this is my first experience with a webhosting service so if anybody could help me give my instructions or tell me what to do i would be more than grateful. Thanks

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well i suggest you use a FTP client, if you are on FireFox, FireFTP is a great addon
and you just have to upload those HTML files to your "public_html" directory

and your page should come up on a refresh, also make sure the home page, is called "index.php"

Reaction score
well i suggest you use a FTP client, if you are on FireFox, FireFTP is a great addon
and you just have to upload those HTML files to your "public_html" directory

and your page should come up on a refresh, also make sure the home page, is called "index.php"

Or more likely in this case "index.html" or "index.htm".

If you login to your Cpanel > Find the File Manager (this will open in a new window) > make sure you're in the public_html folder. In the left panel click on it (public_html) then along the top there are some icons such as New File, New Folder, Copy, Move File, Upload, Download and so on. Click on the Upload, this will open a new window, click browse and find your html documents which you would have saved on your computer. When it says they are uploaded click the link "Back to /home/your cpanel name/public_html" > Select yes > Refresh the window and you should then see your files are on the webserver > goto your site.

The above looks like a lot of text and instructions. It's really not. For the first few times your best bet is just to take your time and go through it slowly. You will soon get the hang of it. You will then want to get an FTP program. This opens a whole new can of worms though. Stick to the file manager for now until you're more aquanted with it.

Hope this helps/helped :).

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
o, yes you're right,
i just get too use to php files

Ghost2025

Reaction score
Yes thanks guys it helps alot gonna have to try that tommorow see if i can get the hang of it.
Edit:
Ok i managed to get my file into the directory and everything but when i go to my website the page is still the starting page. Does the start page need to be erased first?if so how would i do that?

Last edited:

z_killemall

Reaction score
You probably added an index page called index.htm or index.html, but when you opened your hosting account a file called index.php was automatically created, and since php files have priority over htm/html files you can't see your own index page. Just remove index.php and you have to start seeing your index page :D

z_killemall

Reaction score
Actually I think that html has priority over php :)
In fact I think it depends on the hosting server, but in fact that happened to me about a year ago when I moved my site here and I didn't realize what was going on until I saw that index.php on the main directory (anyway I didin't have a lot of knowledge about the subject in that moment, so I'm not totally sure if removing that file was what fixed the problem or was any other of the 153 buttons I pressed without thinking :p )