Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcse26

Reaction score
I'm loving Windows 7 quite well. It's like Windows XP truly reborn and I think imho that this Windows won't be overrated like Vista was.

BringIt

Reaction score
I choose Vista.
I much prefer Windows 7, but that wasn't an option, so i went with the next best thing ;).
Vista is actually a great operating system, as long as you have modern hardware. I have Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit setup in a dual boot, but i hardly boot over to Vista anymore :D.
MS made alot of nice changes with Windows 7 to make it faster and to run much better on older hardware, unlike Vista.
Also there are benchmarks out showing Windows 7 to be faster at most things when compared to Vista and XP ;).
I cant wait till it hits the shelves.

eliasr

Reaction score
Fedora, yeah!

Is a real open source OS, and has the best environment for developing. I used since the second version and i'm totally happy.

Even the development and test of the ext4 file system was in this "thing".

And i have Windows XP, because some troubles with the linux kernel and my soft-modem.

gautham

Reaction score
I prefer ArchLinux. Its _the_ best OS available.
Its extremely easy to use (once you learn to love its commandline that is).
Everything is highly organised and configuring it is a pleasure.
Software run blazing fast even on my 256MB RAM.
Unlike windows, I have no performance issues or fear of viruses and other security vulnerabilities.

For me, resources saved are resources EARNED. I used a friend's fresh OEM vista machine with 1GB RAM and E4600 CPU. The RAM is 4 times mine and the CPU is 4 times as powerful as mine. It still took 3 minutes to start and be ready for use, while my system boots and the desktop opens in a total of around 40 seconds.

I see no point in an OS like vista which hangs while opening multiple tabs in IE, almost as much as firefox does on my ancient PC running archlinux.

Compared to other Linuxes, I think Arch is the best binary distro around. Its install speeds are awesome, and I don't need to install newer versions of the OS like in Ubuntu because its a rolling release distro, in the sense that software is constantly upgraded, released on the same stream. Effectively, this makes ArchLinux, a distro almost as old as Windows XP SP2, a ZERO maintainence distro.

For people with powerful rigs, Gentoo beats 'em all, but spending whole nights compiling on an ancient Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU is not some thing I enjoy (Though I am moving to gentoo once I get my Quad Core Phenom II 910 rig :D). I dislike Ubuntu because its becoming like Windows Vista. Unusually slow compared to its peers. I think its just my 256MB RAM, because it performs great on a friend's 1GB RAM system with a Pentium 4 1.7GHz CPU. But whatever be the case, I think I just outgrew it.

Briganti

Reaction score
I have had XP for more than two years now and I have done great with only minor trouble.

Arashiodori

Reaction score
Windows Vista isn't the piece of steaming dog crap you all make it out to be.

RE : Windows Mojave, b***hes.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Windows Vista's Style is real sexy. Windows Seven (7) the latest, and currently is in BETA, has the same interface as Vista, and is expected to run at the same speed as XP.

I have Windows XP, with the Windows Classic theme, and no wallpaper. I have a slow PC, so doing this will make it faster. I run at average speeds. I prefer Windows XP, but love Windows Vista/7's style.

devilnest545

Reaction score
Linux for everything expect gaming. ( Soon im going to try to download drivers for linux and see if it works to game on it!)

D

dWhite

I used to use XP Pro, and hated Vista.

Bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium on it, and now I love Vista. I love the absolutely sexy look of the Aero Glass [sends shivers down my back!] and I love my sidebar gadgets. ;)

kbjradmin

Reaction score
i went with ubuntu. i'm relatively new to linux, but i've been using it for about a month and i love it!

gautham

Reaction score
Play On Linux

Linux for everything expect gaming. ( Soon im going to try to download drivers for linux and see if it works to game on it!)
Lol, you dont have drivers in Linux. You only have kernel modules and patches. :lol:

If you want to game in Linux, I suggest you to install a software called Play On Linux. (I assume you are part of the ubuntu crowd).

It uses WINE as a backend and can instantly install a good number of windows games on linux and emulate the windows environment to play windows games.

Energritz

Reaction score
I use XP for the Huge library that avaliable to it, the amount of vast software thats avaliable for windows is huge, sure mac is good and generally geared towards the creative side of things, linux and the rest that fits the linix catagory is generally for the professional coder & power user.
Vista is primialy used for those who brought a new pc and arent to competent in computers and just stick with it, for me i wont use vista as it used way to much resources and has many bugs on it. win2k is ok, its getting rather old though and its time has passed, but also at the same time being to restrictive in some area on what you can do on the system has its cons, runs great on sub 1Ghz pcs & 512ram or less, but with xp being worked on alot over the year is the most stable windows and least restrictive, plays games well and the majority of people the use it, wont upgrade to vista unless needed to.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I still have a PC, and I will always have a PC because almost everything is made for PCs. Also there is the fact that now, I've always been buying new PCs, which means that 98, XP, and Vista where pre-installed. However, for my next computer, I am playing to buy an used one, upgrade some components, and install ubuntu or kubuntu, as I am going to use it as my developing server/computer.

geirgrusom

Reaction score
I use windows vista on my usual development machine, and have become pretty addicted to .NET.

I used Ubuntu for a while, but it had way too many issues, especially with installing applications, which can be ridiculously difficult at times (depending on the application)
And the sound system in linux is as bad as it gets, wtf where they thinking. It's like a time machine back to 1990.

What I do like about Linux though is how easy C development is. You need a library? just apt-get it, no configuration needed, which is great. When I download sources from other people on windows, I usually have to edit the project configuration since my libraries are located elsewhere, which can be a hassle at times. And why the hell doesn't a C++ compiler ship with windows? It definately should.
Also the amount of control you get with the console is a blessing/curse in linux at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.