Do you read contracts/terms of service/licenses?

Do you read contracts/terms of service/licenses?

• I will read a double check every word

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Selectively, but I don't waste my time

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • I don't have the time for all those words

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I only read them for select instances, like for services (of course I read the x10 TOS ;)). If I am about to make an email account, I am not about to read the whole yahoo TOS. Especially for software, most of the content is the same as all the other software.

I know a couple of people who would, what about you?

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Rarely, unless it's short & sweet.

Sometimes I try to scroll through them to spot any nasty small-print.

But many sites & software don't really want you to read it - that's why they put a massive 1000 line legal-talk document inside a tiny scroll box. They're the ones to be most afraid of.

But what can you do about it - you always want the free service which awaits you just as soon as you tick that box, right??!!

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I sometimes read them for sites I make purchases on. Most of the time I just scroll through and click I agree. Occasionally I'll skim through his to get an general idea of the sites policies.

I did however read X10's TOS. I'm glad I read that too since if I would have broken any of the TOS my account would be terminated!

Now, for other things like medical contracts I read everything before I sign. You really don't know what you could be signing away if you don't.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends a lot an what TOS/conract/license it is all about. I usually skim through them briefly to see if anything stands out. At least when it comes to TOS/license. In general they are the same, especially the ones that comes with a forum account. But in most cases they all point to one thing: Use common sense and be nice (TOS) and You may not resell or distribute without written permission (Licenses)

Contracts is usually a bit more variated, so those often need an extra look, especially if they involve money in some way.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
lol
TOS were made so long and small so no one reads them and when you violate one of them, you get blamed -_-

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
It depends a lot an what TOS/conract/license it is all about. I usually skim through them briefly to see if anything stands out. At least when it comes to TOS/license. In general they are the same, especially the ones that comes with a forum account. But in most cases they all point to one thing: Use common sense and be nice (TOS) and You may not resell or distribute without written permission (Licenses)

Contracts is usually a bit more variated, so those often need an extra look, especially if they involve money in some way.

i agree with you ladyanna same here

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Considering half of the TOS pages I come across are the length of a short novel, and the same "legal, harm done is not on us and arbitration" paragraphs are located in the same spot, it's pretty obvious to what the TOS is stating. The meat and potatoes to where you typically want to read it is after all of the legal text and nonsense. That's where I typically read. Other than that, if things do stand out (such as ISP capping language which I've discovered propping up in a few pages of some ISPs in the US), then of course I'll read the whole thing.

I've always wondered why besides trying to get the backing of lawyers and money why those mega companies don't bother removing the crap and putting in a simple TOS like x10 has that people will actually read and not just click "Accept."

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Because all the crap covers their backs from anything they didn't mention specifically by putting implied rules. If there was a new variety of cyber crime, I am pretty sure with X10's short and sweet TOS that it would be legal until they revise it. I might need to double check that, but you get the point.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
For the ones I don't intend to break within minutes of installing, I read them.

The obvious exception being x10's; I read that one TWICE cause I didn't wanna be changing webhosts for what would have been the 5th time in 6 months when I first joined :)

But yeah, most of the games I play I don't bother with the EULA/ToS/License. Most of them forbid using a no-cd/dvd hack so I don't need the frackin' dvd in the drive. If I have the game legally, I shouldn't need the bloody disc in the bloody drive!

But they make it against the EULA to do, so I do it anyways. I figure if they wanna sue someone who spent $50+ on the game instead of suing the guy who both pirated it AND used the no-cd/dvd hack, let them. I imagine there'd be a ton of bad publicity there.

"EA sues a legally paying customer! Film at 11!"

sandogg

Reaction score

zen-r

Reaction score
Interesting links, sandogg.

The idea of using software to analyse TOS hadn't occurred to me. I wonder how well it works? - I must check out the sites you linked to. One amusing thought, though : make sure you check the TOS on those sites before you use their analysis tools!!

Further to my last post, I'd just like to add that I always used to follow the No.1 rule : "Always read the contract & small-print before you sign anything". But of course, that was before use of the internet became so popular. Things have changed since then, & now TOS are much longer, especially if they have anything to do with websites (covering spamming, DOS attacks, illegal content....the list is endless) & as I said, what about those bloomin' scroll boxes?!! You never used to get them when the contract was written on a good old bit of paper.

And now a signature can just be a simple tick in a box. So much quicker to do, & it feels so much more anonymous that it lulls you into a false sense of security/ immunity.

Finally, & further to sandogg's idea of using analysis software. There is another method which might help you avoid agreeing to any dodgy TOS. Use the fact that you're online to your advantage. Use Google to search for sites where people have reviewed or discussed the company that you are dealing with, including any discussion of its service & TOS. If there is anything dodgy or devious about the company, chances are that someone will have complained about it online. They've often even started a dedicated grudge website!

But don't forget that reading a TOS before you sign it isn't just to protect you from potential financial losses & scams, it is also to make you aware of your obligations &, in the cases of X10hosting & similar, to make you aware of what you need to actively do to keep your service operational. Points such as those aren't, I suspect, so easy to find in a TOS with analysis software or Google! :)

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I read them only when associated with something expensive, but I don't waste my time on reading software licenses for free or lo cost apps.

vekou

Reaction score
i selectively read them.. usually tos contains only disclaimers that they will not take any responsibility whatsoever if their product or service harms your computer. the privacy policy also usually says that their server will capture information such as IP address but not private details and will never sell them to anybody.

rebellion

Reaction score
For services only. Software licences and agreements are way too long and over written. They are a waste of time, since usually they are all exactly the same, except for the company and software name that pops up every 4 words. Terms of service MUST be read, because you can get in trouble if you don't know the terms of the service you are using.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends on what it is.
When I'm just going to try out some free software for nothing in particular, then I never bother. But if it's for something that I anticipate using alot, I usually read it so that I don't start breaking rules right and left. :lol:

aaronj10

Reaction score
I will only read them if it is somthing needed, if it's a forum, game site, somthing like that, then no not exactly, infact most of your 'free made forums' have pretty much the same 'Terms of Agreement' which is fine, but once you've read it about 2 or 3 times, it gets old, quick.:eek4:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For the ones I don't intend to break within minutes of installing, I read them.

The obvious exception being x10's; I read that one TWICE cause I didn't wanna be changing webhosts for what would have been the 5th time in 6 months when I first joined :)

But yeah, most of the games I play I don't bother with the EULA/ToS/License. Most of them forbid using a no-cd/dvd hack so I don't need the frackin' dvd in the drive. If I have the game legally, I shouldn't need the bloody disc in the bloody drive!

But they make it against the EULA to do, so I do it anyways. I figure if they wanna sue someone who spent $50+ on the game instead of suing the guy who both pirated it AND used the no-cd/dvd hack, let them. I imagine there'd be a ton of bad publicity there.

"EA sues a legally paying customer! Film at 11!"

The companies wind up releasing No-CD patches for their games eventually. Bungie did that last year with Halo for the PC. I've found No-CD patches and Daemon Tools to be very useful at times. When my laptop's CD/DVD drive broke years ago before I replaced it, I had to make ISO files of the games on another computer which ultimately was a No-CD method.

Now a days thanks to the Geniuses who said that the Internet can be used for digital Distribution of content/games in full quality, I've barely if anything used my optical drive on my PCs, and Daemon Tools has since been uninstalled from my other PCs. I have a fast, uncapped and unthrottled connection, I can pull down a single 700MB CD worth of content in minutes.

Last edited:

briapv

Reaction score
I only read them for select instances, like for services (of course I read the x10 TOS ;)). If I am about to make an email account, I am not about to read the whole yahoo TOS. Especially for software, most of the content is the same as all the other software.

I know a couple of people who would, what about you?
I've never read X10 TOS still nothing done wrong:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

taha116

Reaction score
I voted selectivlety... its the most true for me i guess... im lazy but when spending money and agreeng to more sensitive matters i make sure i know what im doing. Or atleast try.

halo3gopher

Reaction score
I only really read through the TOS if either:
I'me really really bored, or It's for something that will make me money (ads) or when I'm buying a service