Votes: 25 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

vom53xd

Reaction score
I would like to played a text-based game although the database should be similar to Cybernations or Nationstates unless you aiming for something different.

BTW I thought you can't host your own text-based game on this x10hosting.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW I thought you can't host your own text-based game on this x10hosting.

You half-can.

I say half, because there's two possible ways I can see running a text-based game. One involves a centralized server running in a language like c++ or c#, or one of the dozens of other languages available. This type can't run on x10hosting.

The OTHER way I can see doing it is via ASP.Net/PHP and an sql database, with minimal interaction between players. Think TribeWars, 1000 AD, or any of the other countless Turn Based strategy games playable in a browser. These you -can- run on x10, within limits - you'd run into the risk of running out of account space to store data, exceeding bandwidth if it gets popular, or if you need to run a Cron Job faster than once every five minutes.

So depending which type you're looking at, it -is- possible to run it on x10. Course, the one with the most options available is the one that -cant- run on x10's webhosting services (free OR paid), but if all you're looking for is a turn based strategy where everything boils down to math and luck, that could run on x10 :)

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
You half-can.

I say half, because there's two possible ways I can see running a text-based game. One involves a centralized server running in a language like c++ or c#, or one of the dozens of other languages available. This type can't run on x10hosting.

The OTHER way I can see doing it is via ASP.Net/PHP and an sql database, with minimal interaction between players. Think TribeWars, 1000 AD, or any of the other countless Turn Based strategy games playable in a browser. These you -can- run on x10, within limits - you'd run into the risk of running out of account space to store data, exceeding bandwidth if it gets popular, or if you need to run a Cron Job faster than once every five minutes.

So depending which type you're looking at, it -is- possible to run it on x10. Course, the one with the most options available is the one that -cant- run on x10's webhosting services (free OR paid), but if all you're looking for is a turn based strategy where everything boils down to math and luck, that could run on x10 :)

Actually, with our VPS service, one could very easily start their own MUD using popular MUD software such as MUSH, MOO, or my favourite CoffeeMUD.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think a text-based strategy game would be nice. :)

aaronj10

Reaction score
Ever heard of Scrabble, Word Find, things like that, many people play those games online, but good luck with your game.