Sub domain or Sub folder?

RicardoCabral

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm plaining a little project which would be a blog and a special tool separated from the blog, but they are related in some way.

The blog is the main thing so it will be on the domain.com. But I don't know what is the best place to put that special tool.

specialtool.domain.com

or...

domain.com/specialtool

I'm aware that if I put it on a subdomain I will have problems with AJAX and the cross domain, as AJAX will see that subdomain as a different domain. It will not happen if I put this special tool in a subfolder.

Putting in a subfolder might make the project look, let's say... lame. But I will not have problems with AJAX.

So? Any opinion?

Hauzer

Reaction score
Hi there,

How about you create both. You create domain.com/specialtool and have all your content etc in there. On specialtool.domain.com have the whole page as a frame and in that frame should point to domain.com/specialtool

Not the best of idea, but works.

RicardoCabral

Reaction score
Yes, it can be a good idea. And Google wouldn't see that as duplicate content, because in fact it is not.

Thanks ;)

str82u

Reaction score
Both is ok, though if the subdomain is linked somehow, like being a stand alone site as well as a tool for your blog, it could be seen as duplicate if that tool is the only content on the blog page. I use duplicate content in templates for niche sites and find there needs to be about 65% seperation from the other sites and have had subdomain pages listed over the TLD and the TLD pages banned.

This is from working with over 30 domains and others over the years, no golden wisdom, just my experience. The sites were all html with very few exceptions. This is also without knowing what your tool is, but you can figure it out I'm sure, good luck and post your new site so we can check it out or test for you.

Last edited:

maddmatt

Reaction score
You could just store it at "domain.com/specialtool", then set up a redirect so "specialtool.domain.com" redirects to it. I've done that with my forum.