Votes: 17 40.5%
  • phpbb

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlodge

Reaction score
I tried phpBB 2 & 3 before trying SMF. I had to go with SMF for ease of use and set up.

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
phpBB... much easier to administrate (and to backup) :D
exactly, it is easier its recomendable for begginers in make forums, but its less insurance and efective if you wish an efficient forum.

grettings
salu2

nunoabc

Reaction score
I once had a SMF forum but it went nuts for me in Portugal and for my friends so I installed phpBB3...

cr2112

Reaction score
So far smf is leading in poll results.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I think PhpBB comes with more features, but it doesn't have an auto-install mod thing, like smf. I still use PhpBB3 for my site.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Wait til SMF 2.0 is stable. There are a lot more things to come for SMF...including maybe a new default theme. :) But ya gotta wait for that one. ;)

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
phpBB! It is so easy to use! Plus 3 has tons of admin features.
Get phpBB3 for a forum and add some MODs that you like!
:)

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
SMF has a much better layed out admin panel and it is by far easier to mod. Have you seen the package manager. ??? Also along with this; improvements have been made to let mods install to alot more themes then just the default CORE theme. It now has a built in Subscriptions section, another section to log spider activity and give them certain permissions. There are better attachments options than before. The package manager is more user friendly....I could keep going but then I would just be bragging. :)

EDIT: It also has a new design to the admin panel (which is optional) You Also have the ability to turn off whole sections of the admin panel now if you like.

Last edited:

bugzon

Reaction score
I think it shoud be PHPBB3 ...

its free.....

its user-friendly....

and its....GREAT

LHVWB

Reaction score
which is better for a newbie/novice ?

After some experience with SMF and PHPBB3. I would say that SMF is much better for people starting out. This is for a few reasons.

1. There are loads of mods, all of which will install with a few clicks of the mouse and are easy to set up. This is the same with themes. In PHPBB3 you have to manually install every mod, which can take ages.
  2. The admin area gives good control but remains easy to use, unlike the more complicated but more powerful PHPBB3 control panel.
  3. Good support on the SMF forums, although this is probably similar with PHPBB3.
Also there is this really good mod for integrating SMF with a simple website (which I made, link in my sig). ;)

tektrnica

Reaction score
i voted for phpbb as i used to use it, last time i check SMF i didnt like it tbh,

My forum is sat on Invision Power Board, so id say that if there was an option (and if you dont mind putting your hand in your pocket) :p

RedhedProductions

Reaction score
True, IT's a matter of opinion, but for me it's phpBB. Why?

Well, many say mods are easiser on SMF. True.
But I have programmed before, so this poses no problem.

Some say there are little themes/mods for phpBB. NOT true.
Mods are there on the phpBB website, but you just have to filter out the version 2 ones. And an external site called phpBB3styles or something has
a VERY good range of styles.

And some say the Admin CP is way overly complicated. True.
But there are video tutorials on the help section if you get stuck.

Yes, I DO like phpBB.

sfan123

Reaction score
I kind of think that Amf beats phbb3 because In aforum I go to it gives an error message out after you post dosen't affect the post though and it still goes through and it slows up that site.

Another forum that i go to has alot of members and smf and its like never down it very nice. I think it a little bit even on the stablity side with version2 of phpbb and smf though.

If phpbb3 ever get satble enough I will think it beats smf because it has more features that smf dosen't hav like webchat and ithink it looks better than smf.
so right now SMF wins but phpbb might come back later and take over

Showa

Reaction score
For some reason i really dislike SMF. PHPBB 3 is absolutly amazing, in my openion it is about as good as vBulletin (I have a VB forum, but thinking about switching to to PHPBB3). But it's really all up to the person who is using it. Just set up test forums at the free forum hosting places and play with them. See which one suits you and your needs best

Monawco

Reaction score
phpbb for its ease of use, 100's of mods 100's of themes and its Free!,

for the last 2 years I have used IPB and learn a hell of a lot from it even made my own mods (sotw ladder script was my big one) for it but now we are back to using phpbb that I have also used for past 4 years and have to say that in a way I like phpbb better. Yes IPB looks good has very good ACP (for the most part) but the modding community in phpbb is bigger and IMO much more helpful.
Demo : free forums

taha116

Reaction score
SMF is better in everyway....

My theory is som1 bribed som1 to put the hot tag in fantastico.. Thats it... SMF is better in everyway... Administration, speed, simplicity, customizability to defeat simplicity, ease of use.... it goes on and on.

The only ppl who used SMF and didnt like it were ppl who got to used to PHPBB and are windows vista hugging nubs who are to sissy to try something new... That being said if there is a moderator or admin here who is offended by that statement then you mis-read the statment.... I dont see it anywere. Well ok its there but your an exception ;) lol.

I would qoute some PHPBB lovers and smash their posts but i dont like to get personel with people but the person who said something about PHPBB being as good as VB... not saying who will have a very mysterios visitor when he goes home tonight... JKz (The JKz is there bekuz of legal reasons :hahano: :gtfo2: )

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Note to all: check the last post date before replying.

05-27-2008 01:24 AM
Yesterday 08:50 AM

But yeah, phpbb.

Status
Not open for further replies.