Programmer Wanted

titband

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering is any programmers out there knew how to make software compatible with other software. I'm a games developer and would like to make a windows XP game compatible with Vista and Mac.

E-mail: TITBAND@Gmail.com if you want in.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
IMHO, the best idea would be to try compiling the program under that platform and record every problem that occurs. Then, move down the list and correct each one of these.

shervinemami

Reaction score
It really depends on what features & libraries you using in your software. Quite possibly, you can just run your WinXP program on Win Vista and everything will be fine, but sometimes there are problems and you basically have to play around with it until it seems fine. But porting your game to Mac is probably a lot more work! Once again, it depends on your exact program, because if your code is heavily based on a portable library like OpenGL, then it might not be too hard to get it to work on Mac (assuming you use OpenGL on Mac). But if you are using something like DirectX graphics and programmed in Visual C#, these are designed specifically for Windows and can be very tough to move to another platform!

Cheers,
Shervin.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Does C# even compile under mac?

Submariner

Reaction score
If programmed under Windows XP, it will run on Vista and probably will on a Mac if running it in Windows emulation. Otherwise you will have a ton of headaches.

In my last job I programmed for multiple platforms (serveral flavors of UNIX and Windows). We minimized problems by using C, not C++ or C#, as C is more portable. We had one code base and #defined the various OS's with headers and methods.

Game programming will be even harder since its suppose to give the end user the 'Ultimate Experience' and there needs to be a lot of profiling to locate time consuming sections that can be optimized to keep your frame rate up.

Since you are a games developer, what language are you coding in? C, C++, Direct X, Open GL, or one of the scripting ones? It would seem to start with what you know and build on that.

Good luck.