Why Opera is not So popular being the coolest browser?

The Browser War-- Your favourite web browser?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firefox

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Others like safari etc..

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
(except some problems on hotmail and facebook -_-")
And it has some trouble rendering flash player in my experience. But other than that, it's not too bad. The main reason I don't use it is because it lacks all the plugins available for firefox.

naerey

Reaction score
Wait... am I the only one that voted for SAFARI? :(

Either nobody else uses macs here... or somehow it's being forgotten about :/

Safari ftw!

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Safari ftw!
Alot of people use macs. Safari is available for windows. Also, I use safari on my iTouch all the time. But it's only because there's no alternative. I find safari simplified and overly basic. It's not bad, but just like chrome, it isn't capable yet of doing everything I think a browser ought to be able to do. :)

Last edited:

WyrGecko

Reaction score
I didn't vote, because I use them for different purposes. :p

I use Firefox the most often due to all the extensions. If Opera were like that, I'd probably go for Opera. Still, a lot of the "new" (or were new a while ago) Firefox extensions are just borrowing from what Opera has had around (already integrated into the browser) since I started using it a while ago (locking tabs, speed dial, the sidebar tab view, etc.). I've never had speed problems with either, and I think that Opera actually runs faster. However, Firefox handles a lot of tabs (hundreds :p) better and hasn't flat out crashed on me before.

Maybe part of it is just that Opera really isn't promoted all that much. Firefox has all the getFirefox stuff going on...

For IE, I'm not sure why people bother with it other than it still being the most popular and compatibility.

I haven't tried out Chrome, because I have little reason to and wasn't able to definitively find out if the issues that it had before have been fixed or not.

Safari and others I have even less of a reason to, because the Macs that I use have Firefox on them :p. Other OSs, I don't really encounter much.

Last edited:

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
Opera is not appealing to me; it has never been. I first tried it when it was version 7, and I didn't like it.
Now that I am looking at opera as a web developer, it looks different.
Though complicated heavy and propriety!

kkenny

Reaction score

Safari ftw!

Safari 4 is allright, but because of EchoFon and a few other FireFox addons, and because of those addons, it makes me love Firefox. So yeah. That's why. Safari is good for me whenever I'm on my mac and want to do like a quick lookup of some facts during a report, when compared to Firefox it takes a little longer to load.

Last edited:

felabria

Reaction score
Opera 10 is so good, it even has a bitorrent client built in, i sometimes use it, but much sites ARENT compatible with Opera. It's not so very fast, Youtube video's don't render at me(yes really:nuts:) The most Fast browser is Chrome. The most Compatible Browser is IE. The most Balanced is Firefox 3.5

Last edited:

techmunchies

Reaction score
Recently on 1st September Opera Launches it's new version of browser(version 10) with Turbo feature which can speed up the speed on low Internet connections. The news version have many added features like spell check, Speed dail, new look, glossy buttons - and ofcourse the tabbed browsing etc..
I am using it from last six - seven years..
Now my point is Why Opera can only manage some 2-3 % of internet users.. given that it is in Web world from very long time... inspite of having many cool features?
Well, just because you seem to like Opera so much, it doesn't mean all users do. Also, Opera is not as widely known I would guess, everybody knows Firefox. I use Firefox, but I have a few extensions that I really like in it also. :)

ah-blabla

Reaction score
The most Compatible Browser is IE.
Sorry? It isn't compatible with *Nix and OSX (if you're talking OS compatibility), and I have certainly not come across any sites Firefox can't use. You do know IE only passed Acid2 from IE8? And that IE has historically also been one of the least standards compliant browsers?

techmunchies

Reaction score
Sorry? It isn't compatible with *Nix and OSX (if you're talking OS compatibility), and I have certainly not come across any sites Firefox can't use. You do know IE only passed Acid2 from IE8? And that IE has historically also been one of the least standards compliant browsers?
He probably thinks that since most sites work with IE, that it is the most compatible. Actually, its the fact that a lot of websites conform to IE and its flaws and shortcomings, that it seems to be compatible, like all those old IE only websites.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
He probably thinks that since most sites work with IE, that it is the most compatible. Actually, its the fact that a lot of websites conform to IE and its flaws and shortcomings, that it seems to be compatible, like all those old IE only websites.
Therefore, in that sense, IE is the most compatible browser... by your own logic. What you mean is 'the most published standards compliant'

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Therefore, in that sense, IE is the most compatible browser... by your own logic. What you mean is 'the most published standards compliant'
Not any more... Back in the days you got many sites optimised for IE and Netscape. (There still are a few, but they work absolutely fine on Firefox, so they're a bit behind the times.) I don't know of many people who optimise for IE. (And most people who know how to make good websites generally have enough common sense not to use IE anyway.) And if you say IE is the most compatible since so many sites work on it, please then give me a site on which Firefox won't work? (Excluding Hotmail, which decided to tell Firefox users their browser wasn't compatible, which you could fix by changing the user-agent to IE, where everything somehow worked fine...)

techmunchies

Reaction score
If that's how you want to interpret it, which in a way makes sense, but standards do exist for a reason, and if we go by the normal standards/compliance, (like the Acid2/3 tests), then IE would be the least compatible.

ubahobu4

Reaction score
I can not answer for everybody, but in my personal experience. I jump from Opera to Chrome and IE.

Why don't I use Opera only :
  1. Opera needs long time to load. The fastest browser in my experience is Chrome.
  2. The is no simple way to keep in synchronize bookmarks in IE and Opera (And it is not as simple to manage bookmarks as in IE)
  3. Opera gave problems with multiple flash content (I did not experience it in latest version yet)
  4. It is not possible (or I do not know the way) to have hyper link to local file
  5. It is not as simple as in IE to get cashed files

Haavdwee

Reaction score
I did prefer firefox for a long time but since Chrome came up I changed my mind. I still like some features of firefox over Chrome so I still use it. The lack of a plugin feature forces me to use firefox.

Stormscape

Reaction score
I like firefox's GUI much better personally, and Opera suffers from Netscape Navigator syndrome. Tries to be everything but ends up failing.

nxtitle

Reaction score
Coolest is an opinion ;)

I personally like Firefox for a couple of reasons.
1) It is definitely one of the better browsers for Linux. The gecko engine has also been incorporated into many other browsers (search for Epiphany and Kazehakase)
2) Plug-ins. I'm sure this is one of the main reasons many people choose firefox as well.
3) Fast. It may not be as fast as google chrome, but it definitely is fast enough.

Actually, I always use the development version of Firefox, called "Minefield".

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I've tried opera before, and just didn't like the overall interface generally. It was a bit too much to use, whereas in Firefox, my favourite browser, you can install what extra features you want using plugins. If you want a basic, baseline browser, that is customizable to your needs, firefox seems the way to go, as the program itself is very efficent, and doesn't swallow ram or cpu-but that increases as you increase the add ons.

dharshan

Reaction score
opera....here are my views on opera. I'll try to balance my point of view here.
it has pros and they would it's cool features and the amount of built in features..and it seems quite fast,
BUT
as a heavy PHP tester i find it really annoying. when i click on a php generated site link it tries to download the file, and it's slow when it comes to PHP sites.. [i do not know about other scripts]
so it isn't an all rounder

zeppfrog

Reaction score
in the day, it was IE, Then i found netscape... oops, netscape gone, back to Ie, then fIREFOX,. GOOD, nope wait, getting slow and bloated, wont load stuff ok, SeaMonkey... actually, the caddillac of browswers, Netscape is back, ok, the same prob after awhile, more and more bloat... slowing down. Try google, cause IE8 wouldnt even install to the point it ruined IE7. Chrome looked fair, yet a bit weak on interface. Faster at first, but after some use , it slows down too. and whenever you go to a browsers advanced options and it opens IE's Options, that tells me one thing, it is a small interrface over IE's core. So you people waiting for Google OS, I know what you are gettin.
There are many of us coders that built our own browsers way back in VB5 and Delphi5 with "components" just like this. it is just a nicely wired interface running windows ie api code as far as I can see. njoy the illusion, and for a small fee, i can build you one with your name on it.

where does that leave me, not sure, may have to try Opera, for some reason software just keeps getting fatter, and memory leaks are just an acceptable part of the program today. I am sure it speeds up the production time immensely.

A better coder than me does need to write a NEW browser. One that isnt running patch after patch over 20 year old code. small and tight, and i still like a file menu so i can mod stuff to my liking