Important Poll Regarding Disk Space

Should we stop backups and raise the disk space?

• Raise the disk space, I'll keep my own backups.

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • I like the way it is now.

Votes: 75 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I vote I like the way it is now because, I need daily backups for my forum. Some people might corrupt the forum and I can use the backup to restore. With the daily backups and can restore members to our forum etc

I would think to keep the Double Package On.

You could get a script to backup your DB automatically once daily/weekly/other time period, then mail it to you.

csc2ya

Reaction score
I've voted to keep it the way it is now.

Personally, I think that most sites that would be hosted on a free service wouldn't be that big (my own site is currently only using about 12MB from looking in cpanel...it's mostly text as well, being a quote database)....I may be wrong in some cases, but from input i've seen on other forums, that's usually far from the norm.

And the backup does come in handy. I haven't done it yet, but if I do mess up badly with my site, I know at most i'm only going to lose 1 or 2 days of quote submissions to my site.

And, unlike most poeple, i'm on limited bandwidth for my home connection 20GB a month, so I can't really do manual backups to my home computer every day or week or whatever (disk space isn't a problem, but bandwidth is).

papichulo_carioco

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I voted to increase the space. We can always make a backup daily or as we see fit. A greeting and thanks.

Note: Sorry for my bad English ;)

mstring

Reaction score
Definitely the increased disk space, who doesn't take their own backups anyways? ;)

lance4681

Reaction score
Hey people I vote we should make everything larger and make our own backups, can anyone please tell me how to do this from Cpannel, I need to know how to back everything up not just the file system I have 2 SQL databases that will need backing up at the same time so if anyone has a scrip or knows how to backup everything at once tell me please I am totally new to making websites and I am building my first at the moment thanks. Also I would like to say I cannot blevae how you manage to offer so much for free when I get a dormain name and finish writing my articals for my site I will buy paid hosting from you, as free has gone down once but again very very good for a free service.

Anway can someone please tell me how to backup my file system and databases all at once? thanks

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey people I vote we should make everything larger and make our own backups, can anyone please tell me how to do this from Cpannel, I need to know how to back everything up not just the file system I have 2 SQL databases that will need backing up at the same time so if anyone has a scrip or knows how to backup everything at once tell me please I am totally new to making websites and I am building my first at the moment thanks. Also I would like to say I cannot blevae how you manage to offer so much for free when I get a dormain name and finish writing my articals for my site I will buy paid hosting from you, as free has gone down once but again very very good for a free service.

Anway can someone please tell me how to backup my file system and databases all at once? thanks

http://www.phpmybackuppro.net/download.php for your database.

Backup the filesystem, just dl everything with FTP. Using a script might or might not suspend you, depending on how many files you got, as it could be resource intensive.

mcklovin

Reaction score
Backups are responsibility of the webmaster, not the hosting company.

End of story.

If you run a popular forum you should be running weekly mysql dumps anyway.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Backups are responsibility of the webmaster, not the hosting company.

End of story.

If you run a popular forum you should be running weekly mysql dumps anyway.

I completely agree.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
By not doing daily backups, The server load will reduce significantly. So raising of the disk space is my option.

:)

memoryz

Reaction score
Raise the diskspace, I think users should be responsible for their back ups.

The current backup system is kinda chinky anyways (No Offense).

riverrat

Reaction score
I believe that the current settings are more than reasonable for the adfree services.

Hi All,

I have an important poll and hope everyone takes a moment to vote. Currently our adfree plans offer 500MB diskspace and is backed up *almost* daily ;). I would like to know if people would rather have more diskspace and us not backup the servers. We would most likely just keep a monthly. So, would you rather be responsible for your backups and have more diskspace or have less and keep the daily backups going?

Thanks.

computerwis

Reaction score
Yes, SQL needs backup, if the SQL corrupts, you lost all the data!

Can you make choices - Users keep the daily backup and other users have monthly backups or no backups + more disk space.

If you keep the Double Package, there shouldn't be a problem or you can double people space for free.
Edit:
I really need daily backups because some just hacked our forum, I used the latest backup and got it recovered.

As this is unfair for people who need daily backups, can i have two choices for everyone.

Last edited:

blueiron

Reaction score
My two cents,

I'd like more disk space, it just gives us more to work with whether its needed or not.
Like others have said, it will also take a bit of load off the servers and the x10 service itself. So thats a good thing!
Although I would still like to have a daily/weekly backup of my database, since I usually don't do that myself.
All of my files are on my test server, and I keep them backed up in a few other places myself.

Definitely, my vote is for removing the backups and getting more out of the servers for hosting and user traffic rather than backups.

liketobemad

Reaction score
I always have a local copy of my website on my computer and I upload the same everytime , ya MySql Backup I download every now and then...
I strongly support Increasing Disk rather.. Backup is ofcourse user's own head ache...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, SQL needs backup, if the SQL corrupts, you lost all the data!

Can you make choices - Users keep the daily backup and other users have monthly backups or no backups + more disk space.

If you keep the Double Package, there shouldn't be a problem or you can double people space for free.
Edit:
I really need daily backups because some just hacked our forum, I used the latest backup and got it recovered.

As this is unfair for people who need daily backups, can i have two choices for everyone.

read my posts and use your own scripts for daily backups instead.

davearonson

Reaction score
Just another vote in favor of "backups are the webmaster's duty, not the host's". And in my particular case, all the files are on my HD anyway. If it's a choice between more space, and backups being done for me, I'll take the space. On the other claw, I'm currently only using a tinyl fraction of my space! So, I for one would be perfectly happy with keeping the space the same and making the backups less frequent. At the very least, that would reduce the load of performing the backups. After all, what do we want for nothing?

vecura

Reaction score
Space of course, I think that backup is webmaster's responsibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.