Laptop Battery

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it's not even a year old yet. The battery will only last about 25-35 minutes on the lowest setting. About 15 minutes with full screen brightness.

Is it normal for the battery to suck that much already?

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am not sure about it being normal, but I have a HP thats 2 years old now. When I got the thing my battery life was about the same, now its even worse :( With something plugged in to USB on lowest settings I get about 10-15mins :( With 2 USB devices it gets shorter.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I had a laptop (acer) that after two years was the same: reported life was 20 mins, it actually ran for 40 though. (I simply disabled powering off with low battery, and had to make sure I did it myself.

On the other hand I have a laptop from 2003 that still runs 3 hours on battery. However originally it was 6-8 hours.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
What's the capacity of the battery? And has it always been that atrocious? I have two 8-cell 14.8v 4460mAh (66WHr) batteries powering my 5 year old P4-m Dell laptop, and it can go for 6-8 hours on the power save setting, even longer if I don't use the laptop display (ie, using the TV/external monitor).

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
What are your laptop specs and what is the rating of the battery? If you're running Vista, changing things to the Power Save mode in the Control Panel can do wonders, and if you have a non-Intel video card, it helps to try other drivers as well. But still, for a laptop that's pretty bad. They should at least run for 2 hours unless it's a power hungry thing such as those "gaming" laptops.

What also helps is to boot the laptop off the battery and then plug it in once Windows starts loading. That will downclock both the video card (if it's one that supports doing so) as well as the processor. My 11 year old laptop when on battery if I had Intel SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS would downclock itself from 600Mhz to 500Mhz if I booted it off the battery, and would not go to full speed until I shut down the laptop, counted to 3, and turned it back on. It did give me 20 minutes of the battery by doing this.

Last edited:

naguissa

Reaction score
It depends on the use you have made of it. I've a 8-cell battery cheap computer 3-years aged and stills get a little more than 2 hours. I use it with power plug if I can (althought I used it at train, bus, outdoor, so battery has been middle-used).

Lithium batteries, as all others, has limited number of uses. If you always has battery plugged, it discharges a little and starts charging (100% -> 95% -> 100% -> ...) and this shorts it's life.

playminigames

Reaction score
yea i had to buy a new battery because mine was down to about 20 mins at the most, the new one holds up to 3 hours, i think it is normal for it to die down.

Good luck

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends on the use you have made of it. I've a 8-cell battery cheap computer 3-years aged and stills get a little more than 2 hours. I use it with power plug if I can (althought I used it at train, bus, outdoor, so battery has been middle-used).

Lithium batteries, as all others, has limited number of uses. If you always has battery plugged, it discharges a little and starts charging (100% -> 95% -> 100% -> ...) and this shorts it's life.
Not all laptops exhibit this behaviour. And lithium batteries have less of a memory effect than nickel based ones too.

boris333

Reaction score
After a year or two, most laptop batteries start to get pretty soft, so that seems relatively normal.

About the only advice I can give you is to go online and look at how much a new battery will cost. You may want to consider picking up two, as Dell laptops have a horrible record on batteries (though, in all fairness, so do most manufacturers).

eyemdee

Reaction score
My problem is slightly different although I suspect the cause is the same. The power meter reports 48.08 hours available when charged at 100%, then a few minutes later when running on battery, reports 3 hours available, 7% charged. Then it goes off!! Actual battery life must be about 10 minutes. I am trying recalibration as we speak but I fear that will do little...!

like2program

Reaction score
In truth, you do need a new battery, the one you have is just plain olf and will not work. I don't remember where I got a battery for my laptop, I do know that it increased the life by at least an hour. They just tend to wear out if you use them too much, when you get another battery, be sure to have it plugged in as much as possible, using it even for a few seconds on battery is fairly bad in comparison with letting it run all the way down.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
My battery's like this too, within a year, I could only use it for about half an hour at optimal battery-saving settings, and nowadays it only lasts about 20 minutes.

vekou

Reaction score
nokia boasts its Nokia Booklet 3G with a 12-hour(theoretical) battery life. it's a netbook though and not a laptop.

eyemdee

Reaction score
In truth, you do need a new battery, the one you have is just plain olf and will not work. I don't remember where I got a battery for my laptop, I do know that it increased the life by at least an hour. They just tend to wear out if you use them too much, when you get another battery, be sure to have it plugged in as much as possible, using it even for a few seconds on battery is fairly bad in comparison with letting it run all the way down.

Has anyone got experience of new laptop batteries from China on eBay? Numerous suppliers have the ones for mine (E-system 3089) in both 2200maH and 4400maH versions at prices starting at UK£28 including postage.

hlastimosa

Reaction score
did you try to do battery calibration to sync between your laptop and OS power management stats ?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
For those of you seeing decreased battery life, have any of you tried a manual deep dischage and full recharge? I do have an 11 year old laptop which still has it's original battery and it manages 2 and a half hours of life, half of that if the CPU and/or GPU are busy. The battery has developed a memory issue and is a nickel metal hydrate battery, but I have found that at it's age, I can correct the memory issue and preserve it's life by running the laptop at full power and Prime95 until depletion.

eyemdee

Reaction score
did you try to do battery calibration to sync between your laptop and OS power management stats ?

Yes, I've tried every means of calibrating it including the manufacturer's recommendation to charge it fully then power up into BIOS and leave it till it goes off. Life is less than 5 minutes so I reckon it's had it. I have taken a chance on a new one from China at £28.50 so we'll see when it arrives...

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
I got my Inspiron 13 almost a year ago. New, it got just under 4:30 battery life (yes that's hours); now it's around 3:15. I'm really disappointed with it both new and now. Discrete graphics really do kill battery life...

--- Mr. DOS

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've basically converted my laptop into a desktop. It stays plugged in at all times and I have an external monitor hooked up.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I've basically converted my laptop into a desktop. It stays plugged in at all times and I have an external monitor hooked up.

Did you check out my post? Download Prime95 as your laptop is charging. As soon as it hits 98%-100% charged, fire up Prime95 to the Maximum Heat, Maximum Power test and unplug the laptop. Repeat the cycle a few times and you might just see battery life come back. Make sure Windows is set to the "Always On" or "Maximum Performance" profile and that it will not turn anything off, or put it to sleep. The machine while running Prime95 must remain fully on and awake :)