Votes: 3 30.0%
  • worldwide?

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you think? If a company has a special deal on it's software, should it be worldwide or not?

The cause why I write this is that Microsoft sells win7 home premium for $30 to US students, while it's $180 for students here. This is not the first time they do it lol.

What is the difference between a student in the US and in Sweden? Are the Swedish students richer than the US students? I don't think US students are poor like that... Duh I'm poorer than that lol, most of my US friends my age spends hundreds of dollars on games and dedicated servers etc, while I can afford a PC game once every 2 - 3 months xD

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Worldwide would be my choice. Gives everyone an equal opportunity to the deals and plus the exchange rate will take over anyways. Many people who are in the UK I know for a fact do proxy things through the US through someone so they can get cheaper software.

And yes, students in the US, especially people in college do tend to be short on money a lot hence the student discounts. Consider the fact that you're paying out of your pocket for college, for car, repairs, gasoline, food, and anything else, you're left with little money at the end of the month from a part-time job unless the person is a workaholic. High school students tend to be different, blowing much of their money on buying music, or getting the new $400 phone, getting car lessons/driving a car, shopping for who knows what or even replacing their iPods every 3 months.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And yes, students in the US, especially people in college do tend to be short on money a lot hence the student discounts. Consider the fact that you're paying out of your pocket for college, for car, repairs, gasoline, food, and anything else, you're left with little money at the end of the month from a part-time job unless the person is a workaholic. High school students tend to be different, blowing much of their money on buying music, or getting the new $400 phone, getting car lessons/driving a car, shopping for who knows what or even replacing their iPods every 3 months.

Well we do that too in Sweden. + we got like 20 - 25% tax on everything :/

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well we do that too in Sweden. + we got like 20 - 25% tax on everything :/

Ah. I know in my state the Sales Tax is 8%, so it's a pain when you walk up to a register with a $1 good and you need to hand the cashier $1.08. Other taxes come in when you use other methods for paying or with other items.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They studied the market to calculate the price. There are teams of managers working on calculating a price tag.

On the other hand maybe Microsoft has a deal with US Government to lower the price of their products for US students.

It's not that simple when it comes to big business. In any case be sure they thought about everything cos even the smallest miscalculation could lead to disaster considering the amount of money involved. Simply put, they have a good reason.

boris333

Reaction score
On the other hand maybe Microsoft has a deal with US Government to lower the price of their products for US students.

You're close. Generally the deals are negotiated with groups of colleges and other educational institutions.

felabria

Reaction score
Are you serious 30 dollar for windows 7? UNFAIR!

Hmm... oh wait i only have to pay 99 EUR in my country(120 dollar +-) Its alot more but it's payable

If it was worldwide i should pay 25 eur for it, that would be alot better:biggrin:
The difference about a student in US and Sweden is, The Market in US is alot better then that in Sweden.

Life is unfair..., and you're worthless

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
The US always gets everything from the big computer companies cheaper, what's new?

For example, the Mac I want is $1500 in the US, or £1400 in the UK ($2301.18 at time of posting)

And Snow Leopard is both £25 and $25

I don't know too much about Microsoft, I try to ignore them :)

~Callum

fractalfeline

Reaction score
I don't know what would be best, actually. :) I don't know enough about economics.

Though I'd imagine it has something to do with import/export taxes, tariffs, mercantilism. I'd go with country specific (if I had to vote Right Now without any other info) just because I know that countries have to protect their own markets.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I picked worldwide.

But either way, I guess it's really up to the software company to decide who they want to sell their products to at what price.