Liquid Cooling System

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge in water cooling for a computer? I'm looking to install a liquid cooling system for my next computer build. I need some suggestions on everything from the water blocks to the reservoir. Money isn't really that big of a problem, but it has to be at least a reasonable price.

My current build is:
CPU: Intel Core i7 860
Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW 200 SLI
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870
PSU: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card

Thanks in advance!

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You could allways go for the total immersion method, take one small fish tank and several litres of mineral oil. Ugly but works a treat, no moving parts and silent.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You could allways go for the total immersion method, take one small fish tank and several litres of mineral oil. Ugly but works a treat, no moving parts and silent.

That's a PITA for upgrades though :( Don't you also need to replace a circulation fan every few weeks?

Also, do you want to water cool the video card or just the processor? Swiftech has some pretty inexpensive water cooling parts that do perform pretty well. You might want to check them out to see what will suit you.

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Change the fan ? nah..

don't need to fit one, it's all done with convection currents,
the oil has better thermal transfer properties than the air and so does not need stirring.

Mind you it is an absolute nightmare trying to move the thing, wheels are a must have lol.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Change the fan ? nah..

don't need to fit one, it's all done with convection currents,
the oil has better thermal transfer properties than the air and so does not need stirring.

Mind you it is an absolute nightmare trying to move the thing, wheels are a must have lol.

Ah,was just wondering. I saw one of those fishbowl PCs and was wondering if those did need a circulation fan. I'm sure it was to help cool things better than using pure convection. But for it's weight, I'd bet it is quite heavy :)

admael

Reaction score

It looks cool and stuff~ but it's not much more effective than aircooling. Oil retains heat.