MyBB or PHPBB?

• PHPBB

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • MyBB

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Danielx386

Reaction score
What forum software is better? Mybb or phpbb?

Is it true that Mybb is based on VB and that phpbb is based on IPB?

Last edited:

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe that MyBB was designed to look and feel like vB but for free

but i like PHPBB just because of how it looks and ease of use for a free forum software.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I adore the VB look & feel, but I still would go for phpBB, mainly because of the extensive community and the numerous hooks that are implemented. It is also very easy to integrate a page to the phpbb forum.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I installed both of them and played with them. I found mybb is good to play.

But my personal preference will be smf

Danielx386

Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing that I found with phpbb is that the CSS file is huge, about 70KB..... Would that get downloaded every time someone go to a new page?

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing that I found with phpbb is that the CSS file is huge, about 70KB..... Would that get downloaded every time someone go to a new page?

it would depend on server and browser settings. On Apache side you can change how long until expire and on browser side you can change you settings for caching.

By default, most browsers are set to cache pages you visit often, this is why when you are working on a site you need to refresh a couple time before you actually see your changes, or you could do a Force Refresh [CTRL + F5] (for Firefox)

so once you have a production theme and after a while of browsing, the loading time should speed up.

Danielx386

Reaction score
and the other thing, Is it legal to make phpbb look like VB or IPB? Just layout wise, I will do my own graphics

Monawco

Reaction score
I use phpBB for my forums. I like the fact that it's open-source and the wide variety of mods and styles.
Demo : free forum

rpgrebel

Reaction score
I vastly prefer SMF over both. But give the choice between those two, I would probably go with mybb.

SMF has instant installable mods and themes.

miguelkp

Reaction score
Can we say that phpBB is Firefox (a lot of extensions and so) and MyBB is Opera (good, with a lot of features, but no as used as Firefox)???