Banning Mass Mail Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Effective tomorrow I am banning mass mailing scripts such as "CCmail"... after looking at who actually has it on their accounts I have found no legitimate use for it or some other popular mass mailing\mail bomb scripts. We are not a mailing service, we are a web host. If you have forums, etc, you can still mail your users from there. Also remember do not exceed 100 emails per hour or you will be suspended.

These mail scripts have caused 99% of server load issues over the past few days.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, those are permitted. I'm mainly talking about PHP scripts designed only to send out email.

mc se7en

Reaction score
Awesome. Can we expect to see pickups in speed, etc of the servers without these scripts?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome. Can we expect to see pickups in speed, etc of the servers without these scripts?

Of course :)

Also expect more posts in Free Hosting about it though.

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
What about Wordpress? Like I have Wordpress on my site, and when new users comment / register / contact me, the server sends me an email.

Will that be stopped as well?

And I'm happy about the service load improvements. Way 2 go Corey! Thanks!

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
What about Wordpress? Like I have Wordpress on my site, and when new users comment / register / contact me, the server sends me an email.

Will that be stopped as well?

And I'm happy about the service load improvements. Way 2 go Corey! Thanks!

That ain't a mass-mailer, that's a single-mailer. Also:

If you have forums, etc, you can still mail your users from there. Also remember do not exceed 100 emails per hour or you will be suspended.

That'd include the mass-mail feature inside phpBB for instance - you can still do it there, just don't send more than 100 an hour (or about 1 a minute) or it'll get suspended anyways.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
basically, you may send maximum 1.6 message a minute, but it needs to be attached to a functionality of your website/forum/blog.

Audiolis

Reaction score
What about Moodle?
Can I still have forums message send through PHP Moodle script?

felabria

Reaction score
Use some sites special made for mails like gmail.(OK it has a 200 email's max) but more then this site, :p

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be a service alerts post shortly about full system scans coming up. Please keep an eye on that section.

For this rule you are just not allowed to use scripts that are ONLY made for sending mass mails, you're welcome to use your forums CMSs, blogs, etc... to send mail to your users.

zegnhabi

Reaction score
sounds very good, hehe its a good rule for the people that uses the host for send spam or something else.. thank corey..!!:cool:

thegriff

Reaction score
Does this have anything to do with why my code has stopped working when sending an email? It worked last week, works on my test system, but (very slowly) errors here. This isn't mass mailing, just an ocasional notification, or a manual one shot test.

vineethmhn

Reaction score
Effective tomorrow I am banning mass mailing scripts such as "CCmail"... after looking at who actually has it on their accounts I have found no legitimate use for it or some other popular mass mailing\mail bomb scripts. We are not a mailing service, we are a web host. If you have forums, etc, you can still mail your users from there. Also remember do not exceed 100 emails per hour or you will be suspended.

These mail scripts have caused 99% of server load issues over the past few days.

-Corey

I am using WP-Email plug-in (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-email/) on my WordPress blog that helps visitors to send an article by email to a friend's email address. It is configured in such a way that a visitor can send mail to 5 email addresses at a time and the interval between two emails is 15 minutes. My administration panel allows me to keep an eye on the emails send from this page and I'll blacklist all IP's trying to spam from here. Till date, I haven't noticed any such activities.

Hope this is all right...

royyuuki

Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting to create a website and it is hosted by x10hosting.com [a free acct.] .. and there's a part of my website wherein the user will receive a confirmation email .. and since i'm still on the process of doing the mail() function ... im sending it to my own email address, and honestly, i did more than 1.6 messages a minute that time... will i get banned?

thanks for the response

and btw , i know this shouldn't be posted here.. but i tried to send an email to msn/hotmail/yahoo.. but it did not go to my inbox... so what i did was, everyone must have a gmail acct in order to access my website ahahaha... thanks :) ill wait for a response regarding the subject

Status
Not open for further replies.