Another site has took my video without my permission..

Fearghal

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a site where I upload tutorials for computer tasks. Another site has decided to post it on their site despite obvious warnings on the video clearly stating the video is not to be posted anywhere without explict permission from an admin of my site.

I have given no such permission.

Could someone explain what procedures I am required to follow in order to have this video removed?

Thanks

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Send them a kind email first (always act in good faith first) -- this is usually easiest. You say there are warnings in the video, so I doubt they have just made a mistake, but try it anyway, just contacting people is often effective. (Is the video actually hosted there, or just embedded?) If they refuse to take it down, you should take harder steps, e.g. I think you can send DMCA takedown notice if the site is hosted in the US, contact the hoster etc. Also try reporting on Google to make sure the other page isn't listed, read here. Oh, and just found a page here which seems to explain what you want.

(As an aside: you might want to consider being more open and allowing with your content: the web is open and is so powerful for that reason, restricting people is counter-intuitive in this environment. However in this case it is blatant copying without improvement, which is definitely bad manners. It should be noted that hunting down copyright infringers is not an easy business though, and extremely tedious.)

Last edited:

Fearghal

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

The only reason I want it took down is because it is my competition that is using it. That's hardly fair.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Did they download a copy and are hosting it themselves?

If they are just linking to the video hosted on your site, use "Hotlink Protection" through cPanel. (one nasty way to use this is redirect the request to objectional material so it will show up on their page).

You can use something like www.network-tools.com to find out information about the site.
Whois - domain registration info (sometimes shielded)
Network Lookup - who ultimately owns the network addresses
Trace - sometimes you can tell by the last server who might have sub-let the network
DNS Record - might have info

Last edited:

Fearghal

Reaction score
They are embedding it from youtube.

However there is a clear message not to do so on both the video and the description on youtube.

casey roberts

Reaction score
Can't you disable embedding on youtube videos if you want to?
Go to your videos, click edit on the one you want, then scroll down and on the bottom left under broadcasting and sharing options are the embedding options

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks

Disable embedding. Problem solved until they figure out how to download the M4A file from YouTube ;). I'm not sure if that does stop people from clicking on the link and watching the video itself from the disabled embed player.

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
The problem with that is that you then can't embed it on your own site. I'm not even sure you can actually restrict them from embedding the video at all -- depending on jurisdiction, it can be copyright infringement -- and it is supposedly against youtube policy (but that doesn't apply to them if they don't have a youtube account), but it can vary. Look at metacafe for an example which embeds youtube videos. You might want to try deleting the video from youtube and uploading a new one which specifically states your website address: this has 2 benefits: firstly, the person who has embedded it on their site gets a broken video, since it will have a different link, secondly, you get your site address embedded ensuring that people know who made the video. In that way you get free advertising if anyone embeds the video.

Last edited:

felabria

Reaction score
They are embedding it from youtube.

However there is a clear message not to do so on both the video and the description on youtube.

You can disable embedding youtube video's. It really works even it is already embedded. It will show at them "Video not available"