Trouble learning Access 2007

mjserv

Reaction score
Taking a class to learn Microsoft Access 2007 Database and the book they are teaching with is boring and has lots of errors and the class is slow because everyone complains about their software/vista issues and they have Slow Norton running on Vista and the teacher is helping as much as she can but im looking for other sources.

I've seen the add for "Professor Teaches Access 2007" and like that it's interactive, does anyone else have any other suggjestions before I try that?

thanks

pmg3002

Reaction score
Taking a class to learn Microsoft Access 2007 Database and the book they are teaching with is boring and has lots of errors and the class is slow because everyone complains about their software/vista issues and they have Slow Norton running on Vista and the teacher is helping as much as she can but im looking for other sources.

I've seen the add for "Professor Teaches Access 2007" and like that it's interactive, does anyone else have any other suggjestions before I try that?

thanks
see Access 2003!

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the "Professor Teaches" series is not very good. It's basically just a screencast that requires you to hit "Next" or a button or maybe type a few words. It leaves no room for experimentation. It also jumps around a lot - you'll be doing one topic one lesson and then the next lesson will jump to something completely different and with no connection to the previous topic.

I find for me that the best way to learn a tool is to find a project that requires it, then almost blindly jump into it reading documentation as I go. It means the initial outcome is of questionable quality, but it will get you real, hands-on experience, and maybe some first-hand knowledge of how not to do things!

--- Mr. DOS

xexes255

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with Mr.DOS (excellent alias btw).

Find a project and jump right in!

Remember that you have the internet to help you - there are bazillions of online forum threads, guides, howto's, tutorials, and even online books (yes, legitly!), so it is very rare to need to spill out $$ for a tutorial book.